The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and butter. Oh and a popcorn seasoning. Its unflavored whey powder
Ohhh I was gonna say, they're dairy people! But whey protein makes sense. My protein powder is pea protein, and vegan... So I sometimes forget that whey protein can also be a thing.

@leggo PE: I left my sourdough starter out overnight but it was previously refrigerated. can i shove it in the fridge when i go home at lunch or am i screwed? i dont wanna have to feed it twice a day 

@leggo PE: I left my sourdough starter out overnight but it was previously refrigerated. can i shove it in the fridge when i go home at lunch or am i screwed? i dont wanna have to feed it twice a day 
When was it last fed?

If it were me, regardless of when it was last fed, I would discard and feed it again at your lunchtime, and then stick it in the fridge before going back to work.

The longer you have your starter, the more you'll get to know what will work. Sometimes I leave my starter out on the counter for a couple of days after a single feeding... I don't really recommend this as regular practice, but the longer you are consistently discarding and feeding Sir Reginald, the stronger (read: forgiving) he will get!

Last edited by a moderator:
When was it last fed?

If it were me, regardless of when it was last fed, I would discard and feed it again at your lunchtime, and then stick it in the fridge before going back to work.

The longer you have your starter, the more you'll get to know what will work. Sometimes I leave my starter out on the counter for a couple of days after a single feeding... I don't really recommend this as regular practice, but the longer you are consistently discarding and feeding Sir Reginald, the stronger (read: forgiving) he will get!
Sunday.

Except I forgot to even check it at lunch and now i'm back atwork so it'll have to wait til tonight *facepalm*

Sunday.

Except I forgot to even check it at lunch and now i'm back atwork so it'll have to wait til tonight *facepalm*
Okay then DEFINITELY stir down, discard, and feed it tonight, leave it out on the counter for an hour or so, and then transfer it into the fridge.

Or, even better (but it doesn't really matter), stir/discard/feed tonight and again tomorrow morning, and THEN transfer to the fridge before you leave for work.

I think I want to make a honey cake or something this weekend.  I mostly make cookies, because they're easy to grab/whatev, but I know I am going to make poppy seed cake for my dad/bring it home on the plane for Christmas.  That is my Christmas Eve bake.  Then I need to make springerle/anise cookies that weekend (since they taste better after they've been let to sit for at least 3-days).  Def want to try something new on Sunday.  Maybe doughnuts.

I think I want to make a honey cake or something this weekend.  I mostly make cookies, because they're easy to grab/whatev, but I know I am going to make poppy seed cake for my dad/bring it home on the plane for Christmas.  That is my Christmas Eve bake.  Then I need to make springerle/anise cookies that weekend (since they taste better after they've been let to sit for at least 3-days).  Def want to try something new on Sunday.  Maybe doughnuts.
Odette Williams has a recipe for a milk and honey cake I really want to try...

@KentuckyKid it was good! I thought it was a bit dry, I tried a different recipe for the cake than I usually use. And one of the family members who I served it to was apparently a cake boss earlier in their life. They said it was really good so huzzah

Nice work, @LyceeFruit! What recipe did you use for the buttercream frosting and how did you get the frosting to be so smooth?

This weekend, I baked possibly my favorite sourdough loaves I have ever baked. The crumb was well dispersed and soft as a pillow; the crust was not overly tough, and the rise was great! 87% hydration, 76% bread flour, 24% flour mix that included hard white, hard red, and malted barley flours. I could talk about these loaves forever... And was actually planning on giving a loaf away, but I'm selfish because I like them so much, so I'm keeping both for now!

DF145A50-0C5D-4D48-9B0D-08E8B6A7FE9D.jpeg

39514B65-1AC6-4FE9-8D1A-17FD3DB03EBA.jpeg

BC1FEC42-3B2A-4C88-BF2D-A8BF7350E61D.jpeg

I also made some pumpkin muffins:

DDD0676F-C722-4244-B67F-C874FB3FBDFC.jpeg

Thanks! It's actually a very small ear by Instagram (aka my obscenely high) standards, but the way I scored the loaves, I wasn't going for a big ear anyway.
I don't think I've ever attempted to make an ear on my loaves/score them.  A majority of them time I'm just like "yes. rosemary salt loaf.  Perfect."

Back