The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@leggo PE did you like this recipe better than the one you were using before?  Loaves came out wonderful!

Also, I am thinking of making ranger cookies tonight...But not sure if I have coconut.  Might buy some after the gym.
Yes, that recipe was 1000x better! The flavor was great. It even got rave reviews from my Jewish in-law aunt and uncle! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that recipe was 1000x better! The flavor was great. It even got rave reviews from my Jewish in-law aunt and uncle! Thank you so much for sharing it!
I am so happy!  Yeah, when I was reading your first recipe I was kinda like, "Challah is egg-bread, there is not enough egg in this bread!  And no double rise!".  I just wish I could mod the recipe to make it smaller, but then I'd end up making fractional eggs which is weird.  Means I'll just need to make it when I'm going to have family eating it.

WHICH MEANS I MIGHT MAKE IT CHRISTMAS EVE TO BRING TO NEW YORK.  Except I need to make Christmas cookies...and then that weird poppy seed roll my dad likes.

Anyone have an everyday bread recipe they like?

I want to try making my own bread for toast for breakfast.

I found the recipe for the "rye" bread I previously mentioned. It wasn't rye. It's the "grain everyday bread" from the SK Everyday cookbook. it involves 9 grain cereal, we went to 3 stores looking for it so yeah fuck that. Plus it didn't taste that great.

I do have sourdough starter arriving soon I think, I think Bestie finally placed the order. She's been reading about gut microbiomes and sourdough is good for the gut so that inspired her to finally do the order. 

I've never worked with sourdough.  I want to, but I also know I don't make enough bread to really have it?

Tonight JK is making parmesan & leek quiche.  I also might start researching basic bread recipes, @LyceeFruit.  I was looking for a standard white/loaf bread, but is there any particular type you're looking into?  I might as well kill two birds with one stone if I'm looking around.

@JayKay PE im going to try the English Muffin loaf from KAF tonight I think - it's really simple.

Hardest part for me will be the heating up of the liquids since I have to do it stovetop and not in the microwave (we don't have a microwave)

@JayKay PE im going to try the English Muffin loaf from KAF tonight I think - it's really simple.

Hardest part for me will be the heating up of the liquids since I have to do it stovetop and not in the microwave (we don't have a microwave)
I...wait.  I've never used a microwave for heating up my liquids?  Now I'm concerned.

BUT I DEF WANT TO BAKE THAT TOO!!!  I'll let you know my results.  Depending on when I finish gym tonight/start my quiche, I might even attempt tonight.

I...wait.  I've never used a microwave for heating up my liquids?  Now I'm concerned.

BUT I DEF WANT TO BAKE THAT TOO!!!  I'll let you know my results.  Depending on when I finish gym tonight/start my quiche, I might even attempt tonight.
the recipe specifically calls for the microwave lol

i often used the microwave when I had one tbh  - Idk if it matters

the recipe specifically calls for the microwave lol

i often used the microwave when I had one tbh  - Idk if it matters
It just says microwave-safe bowl?  Which means in my head I can just throw it on the stove, since I never trust my microwave and making it on the stovetop lets me judge the heat better (I lost my liquid temp/candy thermometer, so I just eyeball the textures of the candy and use the back of my hand for the temp).

I use the microwave for reheating stuff from the fridge, I don't think I've used it otherwise?

It just says microwave-safe bowl?  Which means in my head I can just throw it on the stove, since I never trust my microwave and making it on the stovetop lets me judge the heat better (I lost my liquid temp/candy thermometer, so I just eyeball the textures of the candy and use the back of my hand for the temp).

I use the microwave for reheating stuff from the fridge, I don't think I've used it otherwise?
Ive used it to heat up water or milk.

tbh, im just gonna use my meat thermometer. i lost my candy one in a purge long ago

Also made english muffin bread from KAF in MY BRAND NEW OVEN. Had a verrrryyyy long proof time as we had to go buy a new stove (pic is after 50min prove time)

20191208_130026.jpg

Ranger cookies!!!! I have no idea where I found this cookie/why (maybe a non-dairy friend?), but it’s shortening + sugar + rice crispy cereal + coconut + oats and it comes out amazing! I think the original recipe says chocolate chips, but I used dried cranberries. Also, it has more salt that I usually use in a recipe (1 tsp, when I usually use 1/8 with salted butter), so it’s a salty, chewy, can’t really taste the coconut, oat cookie. Love making them. Really easy!

46536033-72C6-428C-8C31-22333FE06732.jpeg

043E1F8A-7719-4E76-AA1B-16E450060176.jpeg

Back