The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made sourdough banana muffins (below), double batch of pudding cookies - chocolate with dark choc/mint chips and chocolate with butterscotch/espresso chips (below, 6th tray is in the kitchen), half a batch of dog treats but cut real small for clicker training (got 308 treats), brownies from SK, and sourdough discard biscuits but square!

The pudding cookies spread a shit ton and the recipe I used before, they didnt do that. This one required no chilling which is a requirement since my freezer is jammed packed and I can't fit 6 trays in my fridge (the chill recipe I saw said for 1 hour). They taste good but aren't what I was hoping for (same with the oatmeal cookies of last weekend)

My assumption is because I work in front of the fan for our heat pump so the batter just stays warm. But I don't have much work space in this kitchen to begin with and this space has the outlet

20200112_090130.jpg

15788659415374111574522226677974.jpg

Hahahahahahahahaha, I checked my oven temp using a little oven temp gauge.  My oven is ranging from 50 to 70-degrees under what I set it from on the middle rack.  This explains why so many things were undercooked/not baking like they usually were.  Def hoping my landlord can check it out (I think the husband is returning today).  Is it bad that I was him to be like, 'eh, it's old, we'll just get a new one', just so I can get a new oven?

@LyceeFruit PE I've been meaning to ask you.  Do you bake your muffins with liners all the time?  How vital is that for baking.  I want to make muffins (since yours look so amazing all the time), but I have no liners.  Should I buy them or could I get away with crisco + flouring my trays?

Last edited by a moderator:
@JayKay PE i usually do liners since I make them for other people. and i'm often decent enough at pouring into the tins that i can just do a quick wash when i've taken everything out. i'm too lazy for flour/crisco method lol

i also have like 9000 liners so i'm just slowly working my way through them 

Ahhhhhh, okay.  That makes sense.  I have no liners (and don't know what size would fit my trays), so I wanted to attempt the usual way of baking things when I forget to throw parchment paper but also wanted to see if you had any experience with it.  May I ask how you have 9000+ liners?  OR IS THIS FORBIDDEN BAKING KNOWLEDGE?

Ahhhhhh, okay.  That makes sense.  I have no liners (and don't know what size would fit my trays), so I wanted to attempt the usual way of baking things when I forget to throw parchment paper but also wanted to see if you had any experience with it.  May I ask how you have 9000+ liners?  OR IS THIS FORBIDDEN BAKING KNOWLEDGE?
i've totally done it without liners - i just lean towards liners. if you have a normal cupcake tin, you'd just standard size liners. there's mini, regular, and jumbo sizes.

you can also make your own liners with parchment paper instead of buying them.

i have 9000 liners since when I first moved out on my own, i took a cake decorating class so I bought the wilton kit and a bunch of liners (usually on clearance) so i'm still going through my stash. i got get of the wilton cake decorating kit - i'd like to do more cake decorating besides the basics i remember for the class but i don't really need nor want more plastic junk in my life. some of the stuff in the kit felt very cheap 

For muffin liner reference, I bake for home consumption and basically never use liners. I have a standard sized muffin tin as well as a mini muffin tin, and my go-to is to use coconut spray to make the muffins not stick to the pan. This has worked every time, except once a few months ago when I was making some sort of pay muffin and they stuck terribly! But in that case, the recipe had specifically recommended using liners and I ignored it, which in hindsight, I should not have done. I think the issue was the more crumbly consistency of the muffin batter due to the oats, so the liners were recommended to help keep the structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fudgiedt chocolate zucchini muffins ever (and they're vegan! And so, so, so good😞

DDE153C4-7FCE-4E94-91EE-DD989948F720.jpeg

Also, a seeded 100% einkorn sourdough loaf:

2692DE69-8AE0-486E-862E-6F048A7E7804.jpeg

I still can't figure out how to rotate photos when uploading and posting on my phone. Blah!

Yes, all from today. I also have the no knead crusty whited bread from KAF rising in the fridge

*cries*

My oven bake element is still broken.  I sent all the info/the element part number and everything to my landlord, but I think he's been overwhelmed since he came back from vacation for medical stuff (like, a ton of medical stuff).  I turned on the oven yesterday and the fire alarm went on, tons of smoke in the unit, so I think I'm only going to use the stove top.  

It sucks because I actually wanted to bake stuff this week and now I can't.

*cries*

My oven bake element is still broken.  I sent all the info/the element part number and everything to my landlord, but I think he's been overwhelmed since he came back from vacation for medical stuff (like, a ton of medical stuff).  I turned on the oven yesterday and the fire alarm went on, tons of smoke in the unit, so I think I'm only going to use the stove top.  

It sucks because I actually wanted to bake stuff this week and now I can't.
eeeep no bueno

eeeep no bueno
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah.  Since I don't have anything planned tonight (except, maybe I'll see a movie...?) I might try and make candied walnuts or something since I have a ton kicking around.  I also still need to make those buckeye balls you posted, but not sure if I have the right type of melting chocolate in my cabinet (but I do have heavy whipping cream for some reason, so I might do that).

Back