"That's not my job!"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm usually willing to do almost anything, but there are some things I am simply incapable of performing. Like opening beer bottles. Sorry, but that's just not my job.

A couple of years ago, my boss got really upset when someone told him "it's not my job". So, at our next staff meeting my boss informed all of us that "it's not my job" will be considered a resignation. He's since calmed down about it, but I understand the frustration.

When I started at this job, the company was very small. So I answered phones, emptied garbage cans, swept the floor, ran out to Costco to get toliet paper or anything else we needed. Now the company is bigger, so I am content with making coffee every morning and answering phones occasionally. On the technical side, I do "review" some phase I and other environmental reports. As a geotech who knows little of environmental, this isn't my job, but I enjoy it and always learn something from it. Keep in mind that I'm not the only person reviewing these reports and it's well known that I read them for style and common sense type errors only.

A couple of years ago, my boss got really upset when someone told him "it's not my job". So, at our next staff meeting my boss informed all of us that "it's not my job" will be considered a resignation. He's since calmed down about it, but I understand the frustration.
When I started at this job, the company was very small. So I answered phones, emptied garbage cans, swept the floor, ran out to Costco to get toliet paper or anything else we needed. Now the company is bigger, so I am content with making coffee every morning and answering phones occasionally. On the technical side, I do "review" some phase I and other environmental reports. As a geotech who knows little of environmental, this isn't my job, but I enjoy it and always learn something from it. Keep in mind that I'm not the only person reviewing these reports and it's well known that I read them for style and common sense type errors only.
I review my boss's geotech reports (which are the VERY complicated slope stability sites) for style and common sense, but he does not want to read my phase I's or asbestos reports. Those go to the main office for review!

I don't mind if someone gets asked a question and they don't know the answer. But at least be helpful and tell me who does know the answer. That's one of my biggest pet peeves (probably right after calling a water heater a "hot" water heater). If someone calls me with a question or asks a question in a meeting and I don't know the answer I always say, "I don't know, but I'll find out who does and have them get back to you".

I don't mind if someone gets asked a question and they don't know the answer. But at least be helpful and tell me who does know the answer. That's one of my biggest pet peeves (probably right after calling a water heater a "hot" water heater). If someone calls me with a question or asks a question in a meeting and I don't know the answer I always say, "I don't know, but I'll find out who does and have them get back to you".
I confess, I always say "hot water heater". Yes, I am a moron.

"I don't know" is one of my boss's all-time pet peeves. You might as well say "I don't know, I don't care and it's totally your problem". So I've been well-trained to try and help in some way, either offer to help look something up or find out the right person, etc.

How about ATM Machine? This drives me nuts, as you are actually saying "Automated Teller Machine Machine". AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!

OK... I have seen the exception.

I watched Jackass 2 (there was NOTHING else on, damn writers strike)... in one of the scenes, they acquire some horse semen, one of the guys drinks it.. ha ha gross whatever. In the outtakes during the credits, Jhonny Knoxville throws the remaning hores semen at one of the other guys and it gets on one of the camera guys. the camera guys comment: I'm not even paid to be on screen"

So, I guess that is about where I draw the line. anything that has to do with semen (horse or otherwise) definately NOT MY JOB!!!

OK... I have seen the exception.

I watched Jackass 2 (there was NOTHING else on, damn writers strike)... in one of the scenes, they acquire some horse semen, one of the guys drinks it.. ha ha gross whatever. In the outtakes during the credits, Jhonny Knoxville throws the remaning hores semen at one of the other guys and it gets on one of the camera guys. the camera guys comment: I'm not even paid to be on screen"

So, I guess that is about where I draw the line. anything that has to do with semen (horse or otherwise) definately NOT MY JOB!!!
You might want to rethink that. If there is sex semen will be involved, one way or the other. I don't know.

icon8.gif
to the previous post...

But I have never been a big fan of the not my job crowd (aside from splattering horse semen, feces, etc).

If I don't know something, I do the same thing. However, if it's a structural guy trying to get me (a mechanical) to do his job for him, I draw the line. Every Monday, we have a status meeting on this structural project. Those involved include (and I am NOT kidding):

Project Manager - discipline: I&C, because the structural lead would get nothing done (oh wait- he doesn't get anything done anyway)

Mechanical Engineer - yours truly, because I know how to do the paperwork involved

Structural Lead Engineer - this guy, I'll call him Cell Phone Guy because he's on the stinkin phone all the time

Junior Structural Engineer - poor kid, CPG dumps everything on him and this guy ends up having to work weekends and OT.

Anyway, every Monday, we have this status meeting. The dialogue goes something like this:

PM: So, CPG, how is the seismic qualification going?

CPG: I haven't started on it yet because ME hasn't given me the information.

ME: CPG, I gave that to you two months ago.

CPG: I don't have it. Can you get it to me again?

ME: *sighs* I guess. *exchanges exasperated looks w/ PM*

PM: So, JuniorSE, how's the analysis going?

JSE: It's going ok, I need info from CPG.

CPG: You have everything you need, I have to take this phone call.

End Scene

Next Scene

PM: So, Junior SE, how's the conceptual package going?

JSE: ME has to finish it.

ME: What? I have no idea what is going into this package, since you and CPG are doing all the technical stuff.

CPG: You have to do it, ME, JSE is too busy working on my stuff.

ME: So how am I supposed to do the paperwork when I don't know WHAT to put in the paperwork?

CPG: It's your job.

(At this point, ME & PM exchange confused looks)

ME: How am I supposed to complete this package without knowing the technical information? It is a structural package!

CPG: So when can you have it done?

ME: *gives Glare of Death to CPG* It won't take long at all, once I get the information, the forms are already set up. JSE could do it when he gets the analysis done.

JSE: *really pained look* (sorry dude - you gotta learn how to do it all by yourself, you're a big boy now)

CPG: Oh, no he's not. He's too busy! (doing CPG's work)

ME: *another Glare of Death at CPG*

PM: So... I think it's time to end the meeting this week.

End Scene

At the end of the meeting, the PM has a paper bag handy for me. Depending on the week, I either need to stop hyperventilating or puke into it.

That's as much as I've tried to say "that's not my job"

Sorry for the long post, but this happens EVERY WEEK for the past three months! I can't wait until this thing is done!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's as much as I've tried to say "that's not my job"
Nice dialogue ... :)

Last week I got into a heated discussion over a technical/legal issue for the design of a landfill cover. It went like this:

JR: Can NOT

(Geologist): Can too

JR: Can NOT

(Geologist): Can too

JR: Can NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT

You get the picture. ;)

The discussion culminated in the principal's office (Administrator) with the same dialogue played out. Administrator finally looks at me and says, why can't you just accept that we need to consider this alternative.

JR's Response: *** Rude Response To Be PM'd ***

I think we all find ourselves in those types of projects. I find that calculated sarcasm works the best. ;)

JR

More recently with the lay-off in the plant... A common sentence uttered:

"SOOOOO, not my problem. My last day is in 3 days."

Ummm... Yeah, thanks.

ugh. Had another one of those meetings today.

Apparently in this week's episode, the structural guy was working on the wrong folder on the server the whole time. But guess who it was who had to move HER stuff to some god-forsaken place on the planet - yep. ME!! :-(

I charged a whole hour for it, since the 1/2 hr meeting went like it did in the previous post, except for that the structural guy kept looking at me to research the procedures again. AARGH!!!

I'm really darn glad I get to go to Florida for a meeting this week (different project!) :)

My most recent job (surveying) - In winter, office comprised of environmental staff (mainly geologists), engineering, and surveying (<30 peeps) - guess which employees were relegated to shoveling the walks & ensuring entryway safe for clients? (rhymes with purveyor)

Yep - not that we overly minded the fact that clearly there existed a lack of 'man-ing up' with the other staff :p10940623: - just the cracks during office potlucks about the surveyors actually using forks were annoying.

Finally, one of the enviro guys made a rotating list of which dept. would tackle that week's snow pushing duties. It wasn't anybody's job. .. but something that the collective office needed to have done for the safety of employees and specifically clients. Sometimes ya shovel a little sh!t to make the office enjoy another day o' business.

Back