TEXAS IS OUT!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ofc they said that, $75 is very low rate of payment for their staff to do review of the result. But you know, its $75 you make that in lessthan 2hrs. 
By all means... smoke'em if you got'em.

I wouldn't; but, if that's how you want to spend your money - good luck. Hope you make the record books... someone has to be the first!

At a 50% I wouldn’t bother, but you’re at 69% and 70% is likely a pass. That’s 1 question. Itl cost  $300+ and another 3 months of studying to retake it. I’d gamble the $75 on finding 1 pencil/eraser smudge mismark. That’s worth the gamble to me after I dropped $1200+ already. 

If you do, please come back and let us know how it goes. Good luck!🍀 

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great to have a direct source to show that it's possible.

Good luck, and may the erasure smudge forever be in your favor.

Buyer Beware. I talked to someone on the NCEES board and she said, with a re-score an exam has never changed from failing to passing, nor has it even resulted in a single answer changing.

Well, the eraser smudging wasn't in my favor. Within 4 hours of requesting it, I received notice that the scoring machine was accurate. No change to my score. Looks like i'll be back in NRG come October. BTW, I took the in residence Testmasters course in Houston. It was really helpful, but there were some areas I felt could've been more detailed. They do allow a free retake of the course, though. It helped me stay consistent with my studying. I just need to work on timing. I slowed down a lot during the PM portion.

If the re-scoring stats show that it has never changed a score, I'm curious to why it's offered? Is it because they have to allow candidates the option because of a possible electronic system error? It's easy money for them, that's for sure.

If the re-scoring stats show that it has never changed a score, I'm curious to why it's offered? Is it because they have to allow candidates the option because of a possible electronic system error? It's easy money for them, that's for sure.
We're all engineers here, we know that **** goes sideways all the time. If you aren't personally convinced of the veracity of Murphy's Law, you have no business taking the PPE. While I'm reasonably certain they do some random manual checks to ensure that statistically everything is working properly it's always possible that something goes wrong when you scan 20k+ pages. Erasure marks, misfeads, graphite smudges etc. happen. I don't know the error rate on scantrons, but it's gotta be non-zero.

I suspect the option is for two reasons: legal and psychological. Having a manual recheck option gives examinees a reasonable ability to appeal. The legal reasoning is obvious here. The psychological is more subtle. It gives the appearance of some modicum of control over the process, that the examinee isn't just another cog in the faceless machine. If people believe the test is hopeless they won't take it. Or they go postal on NCEES. Either way its not good in the long term.

As for the fee... I'm sure they make money off it but I don't know how much they really profit from it. It could be full cost recovery or it could be an inconvenience charge to prevent 4,000 examinees from requesting a manual recount. Both are likely but I suspect it's more the latter.

Back