Technologists vs. Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any construction contractor would probably take a high school grad over someone with a BA in business or economics if hiring for grunt labor for example.
Well, no kidding! Your original Technologists vs. Engineers said nothing about grunt labor. If I was hiring a ditch digger, I wouldn't bother hiring someone with an MBA. :true:
I'm half way through an MBA program - does that mean I can dig you half a ditch? :wacko:

I find it funny how people rant and rave about technology degrees on here from time to time, the elitists if you will. Engineering Technology degrees are not just 2 year degrees and anyone who makes that assumption probably hasn't done enough research to know the difference between an Engineering and an Engineering Tech degree... I also find it funny how misleading these same people are about touting their ABET degree. Well, guess what? My 4 year Mechanical Engineering Technology degree is ABET accredited too! The only difference is the EAC vs. TAC accreditation- both of which come from ABET. All it takes is a little research people....

I believe it's pretty well established that a "Technology" <> an "Engineering" degree in the same discipline. Technology degree programs focus more on the practical applications where Engineering programs have more study of the theory behind the methods used in the practical applications. I'm not being "elitist" just stating fact. There are many practicing engineers that are very good at their jobs without a lot of understanding of the actual theory/analysis/assumptions that were used to develop the industry-accepted practices that they use and quote every day.

That is why in some states, if you have 20 years or so of experience then you can take the PE test without an engineering degree at all.

How many of us have encountered "professionals" that are controlling jobs, writing specs, generating plans, etc. that have minimal formal education in the field but have picked it up "on the job". Does it make them any less competent to do that job? No. But don't try to convince me that they have the same understanding of WHY those equations apply or where those "rule of thumb" practices came from.

To quote Dirty Harry Callahan "A man's got to know his limitations."

Last edited by a moderator:
A slight correction to my earlier claim of two year technology diplomas replacing four year engineering degrees---these technology programs are now three years in length (6 semesters) but in most cases their graduates would not be eligible to take the EIT exam or become licensed professional engineers without some additional coursework. However, that extra year in university surely doesn't provide much in the way of better pay or better opportunities these days.

"Nobody, I mean NOBODY puts ketchup on a hot dog"

A slight correction to my earlier claim of two year technology diplomas replacing four year engineering degrees---these technology programs are now three years in length (6 semesters) but in most cases their graduates would not be eligible to take the EIT exam or become licensed professional engineers without some additional coursework. However, that extra year in university surely doesn't provide much in the way of better pay or better opportunities these days.
After I graduate, I'm gonna get drunk every night.

At least not a Fenway frank!
The Red Sox are an unholy curse from the beast we call the Desolate One.

My wife takes the commuter rail train from the station across the street from the stadium. When there are day games letting out, or night games letting in, it screws with her already miserable commute. The day they are mathematically eliminated is a holiday at our house.

I do love the Patriots however.

That makes sense since it takes on average 5 years to get the 4 year ABET acredited engineering degree. My program did this through eliminating the first course in many subjects as a requirement. Calc 1 didn't count, but Calc 2 did. There was no way to pass Calc 2 without taking Calc 1 first and for many taking pre-Calc before that if they were from a rural community. It was the end product they were worried about, and not a bunch of pre-resequite classes.

EB.com is now advertising Engineering Technology degrees through ITT Tech...

Convenient online and campus programs!

I find it funny how people rant and rave about technology degrees on here from time to time, the elitists if you will. Engineering Technology degrees are not just 2 year degrees and anyone who makes that assumption probably hasn't done enough research to know the difference between an Engineering and an Engineering Tech degree... I also find it funny how misleading these same people are about touting their ABET degree. Well, guess what? My 4 year Mechanical Engineering Technology degree is ABET accredited too! The only difference is the EAC vs. TAC accreditation- both of which come from ABET. All it takes is a little research people....
They are not elitists, they are Engineering Snobs. :D

Some do not realize the many different levels. There are ABET accredited TAC programs. (my degree is ABET/TAC and I was eligible to take, and have my PE).

There are also "Technology" degrees from night schools located in someone's garage that are worthless.

Depends on the program.

Back