Taking the Electrical Engineering, Power PE Exam??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grainger - Power System Analysis - I recall some questions pulling information from this text almost verbatim

Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers - I was able to answer some questions that were "from left field" using this reference. I dont want to get too detailed but i work for a switchgear manufacturer so you can imagine which questions did not resonate with me.

I also used and been studying with Graffeo, Wilde, and Camara...all of which were useful during the exam. Questions that pulled from these texts i did not consider to be from "left field"

In retrospect, I wish i bought a copy of NESC rather than just the table of contents like most of the courses (and this forum) typically guide test takers to do.

Grainger - Power System Analysis - I recall some questions pulling information from this text almost verbatim

Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers - I was able to answer some questions that were "from left field" using this reference. I dont want to get too detailed but i work for a switchgear manufacturer so you can imagine which questions did not resonate with me.

I also used and been studying with Graffeo, Wilde, and Camara...all of which were useful during the exam. Questions that pulled from these texts i did not consider to be from "left field"

In retrospect, I wish i bought a copy of NESC rather than just the table of contents like most of the courses (and this forum) typically guide test takers to do.
This is good advice, including a copy of the NESC.

Last edited by a moderator:

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]In retrospect, I wish i bought a copy of NESC rather than just the table of contents like most of the courses (and this forum) typically guide test takers to do.[/COLOR]
<hand to fore head> Why, why, why?

Well, karma served?

Karma will be served if I failed by a couple of points...

But continuing with the theme of this thread, there were questions that required this code book. From all courses and information i have, purchasing this book was not something that was needed for the exam. Unless I knew that I needed this book going in, I would not purchase it especially if i would never use it professionally.

Now I know, and if I am sitting in a 80 degree gymnasium in Brooklyn again with 500 test takers, I will be sure to have this book. I would not of known that unless I sat for the exam.

I am glad I threw in my old Power System Analysis textbook college and my NESC codebook in with the rest of my books on a whim the night before the exam.

I just studied the NCEES practice exam and had 5 books and passed.  

Maybe you just had too many sample problems / reference material

I took the power test in October and also felt that a large portion of it was theory based. Now the theory is what dives everything else and I feel like I did okay, but honestly I was expecting more calculation questions based on sample tests and my study. It will all come down to what that cut score is. Hopefully we'll get results sooner rather than later.

I took the power test in October and also felt that a large portion of it was theory based. Now the theory is what dives everything else and I feel like I did okay, but honestly I was expecting more calculation questions based on sample tests and my study. It will all come down to what that cut score is. Hopefully we'll get results sooner rather than later.
Don't worry, there's plenty of time - the exam isn't even a week old yet. Waiting sucks, I know!

It will either be a Christmas present or a lump of coal.  My (completely uneducated) guess for CA scores is 12/22.
I got a lump of coal when I took the Electrical PE last year! I ended up passing in April 2016 though.

First time sitting for me, and yes, the test was diametrically opposed to what I was anticipating.  With that said, it thought it was still a very fair test.  It was a "fundametalist's" test.  Concepts upon concepts were required to answer at least 30 of the 80.  However, I have my doubts on whether I passed, all due to not knowing what the cut will be.  I missed my fair share, and at least 4 or so that I shouldn't have.  But that's how it goes...

Best of luck TNPE. Some, like myself, need a couple [read 4] tries to get it.

It is a tough test that is a lot of theory, but that's the way it is.

Best of luck TNPE. Some, like myself, need a couple [read 4] tries to get it.

It is a tough test that is a lot of theory, but that's the way it is.
Thanks, Ken.  I can't say it was a hard test, even if I was unsuccessful.  I've always heard it said that the Oct. administration is tougher than April, but I couldn't tell it (and haven't sat for an April admin.). I missed several I shouldn't have.  A number of problems I knew the answer to, but my mind got to rolling/doubting so I moved on and came back.  Sure enough, went against my first instinct after coming back, which was a big no-no.  Of course, I checked myself on these afterwards and missed them.  Just hope I did enough to make the cut.  Yes, I concur, this test was chocked full of theory and concepts.  Don't want to finger what motor problems were on there, but there were some that have not been tested on in quite sometime, if ever, at least according to past outlines.  However, think I got those due to having two of my college texts.  

Feedback from students in our review course agreed that the 2016 October power exam was BRUTAL in conceptual theory questions.

We published an article to help give a good strategy and approach in solving these questions based on looking for applicable formulas and deriving relationships.

Here are the main points of the article if anyone would like to skim otherwise I will link it at the bottom:

Qualitative questions are designed to test your knowledge on concepts and theory. 

They come in two forms: Definitions and Relationships.

Qualitative Definitions:

• Solving qualitative definition questions successfully depends entirely on how good your references are along with your ability to use them quickly.
  • This is why it is key to be familiar with your references and tab topics. 
  • And why it is important to bring a range of references (best not to rely on just one source, some books are better than others).
  • When using the index to look for definitions, write down all of the keywords and page numbers once on scrap paper so you do not have to keep flipping back and forth. 
  • Of course save the questions for later that really take a long time to dig for if you can't find them quickly. Save that precious exam time. 
  • Example of a Qualitative Definition Question: "Describe how magnetic flux is mostly related to transformer operation".

Qualitative Relationships:

• Look up and write down all related formulas to the question
  • Derive and substitute these formulas until you can manipulate them into a single formula that represents a valid expression relating the variables the question is asking for.
  • Use this formula and a bit of logic to determine how a change in one affects the system. 
  • Example of a Qualitative Relationship Question:

"Which of the following would most nearly result in a decrease of the mechanical torque output of a three phase induction motor?" 

A) Increase in slip
  • B) Decrease in rotor speed
  • C) Decrease in supply voltage
  • D) Increase in efficiency

[*]In the article is a step by step demonstration showing how decreasing supply voltage results in a drastic reduction in torque by about the square of the factor of the change in voltage for anyone that is curious. 

Anyone is welcome to read the entire article here:  Thoughts on the 2016 October Exam, and How to Solve Qualitative Theory Questions

Hope this helps if you are preparing for the April 2017 Exam

Back