Taking the Electrical Engineering, Power PE Exam??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being able to articulate design theory and code compliance is probably about a third of my job. It's super important to know why things are done a certain way rather than just plugging in the relevant equations and hoping for the best.
really?

never heard of someone signing and sealing something with design theory. not once. That is what this test is for,  correct? To sign and seal work?

I have my license for Civil. I never got a call to sign a textbook definition.

But, if you don't understand the theory how do you know if your calculations are correct/make sense? Doesn't knowing the theory give a competent engineer an intuition and ability to design/problem solve? It's more than just signing and sealing work. It showing you know what you're talking about. If you don't know the theory, you don't know ****.

I've never signed or sealed anything - that's not at all the reason to be a PE.

These exams are designed specifically to determine whether or not someone has the base of knowledge and experience to be generally held as a credible, minimally competent, subject matter expert in their respective field. The weight of being a PE goes far beyond a little rubber stamp. And that's exactly the reason why the PE exams test more than just number crunching. When you're talking with a contractor or a client about why you want to design things a certain way or why certain parts of the design are must-haves and other parts are negotiable you're drawing upon your theoretically base knowledge.

Perhaps when you were taking your Civil exam you didn't realize how many theory based questions you were answering because you had a base of work experience to draw from and pairing theory and design together had become rather second-nature. Maybe not. But when I took the Civil exam I had to answer theory questions as well as simple plug-and-chug nonsense.

But, if you don't understand the theory how do you know if your calculations are correct/make sense? Doesn't knowing the theory give a competent engineer an intuition and ability to design/problem solve? It's more than just signing and sealing work. It showing you know what you're talking about. If you don't know the theory, you don't know ****.
tell that to the PhDs who haven't designed anything that their knowledge in theory is enough to design anything

or the design experts who aren't familiar with everything regarding systems they don't work with that they "don't know ****"

no need for profanity to get your point across, btw

there is no debate that there are questions on the exam that do not properly test one's aptitude on doing their job. I'm talking about both ways, some too technical and others way too easy for it to mean anything.

tell that to the PhDs who haven't designed anything that their knowledge in theory is enough to design anything

or the design experts who aren't familiar with everything regarding systems they don't work with that they "don't know ****"
OK. Find me one and I will.

no need for profanity to get your point across, btw
It wasn't to get my point across. It's just fun to type/say. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings though.

So, it wasn't easy?
actually, it kinda was. But the questions took me by surprises. especially since they expected you to regurgitate random information which wasn't on any review book. Too bad i cant give examples of what they were.

too late. it did!  :(

jk
Just in case, you should fill one of these out and forward to and admin for processing: 

522975ce902550edefa5351156d1f0fc.jpg

Being able to articulate design theory and code compliance is probably about a third of my job. It's super important to know why things are done a certain way rather than just plugging in the relevant equations and hoping for the best.
I've worked with hundreds of electrical engineers over the years and I will concur, this is very typical.

OK. Find me one and I will.

It wasn't to get my point across. It's just fun to type/say. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings though.
Someone needs to spend time in the sensitivity corner.

No need for anyone to get all butt hurt up in here.

Well hellllooooo! Heard someone needed a PhD to talk to. I have actually been in the engineering field for around 20 years. First 10 in mechanical and the second decade in electrical. I have sized, designed and commissioned juuust a few projects. To characterize a particular group because someone is having a bad day is not the best way to get a point across. Sounds like the test was tough but take a deep breath and chill out. Remember the folks on here give their experience Free Of Charge. Discussions on things such as the NEC code can delve into the theoretical quickly (I remember one discussion a number of years ago about the grounding conductor running through concrete and the reason this was up for possible revision). It is a test. It is good to vent. Just remember that hitting the weight room or the batting cage is much more productive than trying to bust on people VOLUNTARILY discussing the different aspects of the PE. Now.....back to my mad scientist laboooratoray.....muah ha ha ha!!!!

Yeh but you learn the theory that's on the sample exams. Don't know how you can prepare for theoretical questions from left field 

this test was about how good your referenceses were. Thankfully I was on this forum and studied from/had some of the better ones.
What were the references that were "better" for you??

Back