Taking the Electrical Engineering, Power PE Exam??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the courses prep you for a mindset, you would expect at the very minimum that an average portion of the questions, regardless of difficulty, would simulate the course and the study material - at $1,000 bucks, I would hope that maybe 30 questions out of the 80 would be stuff from the prep courses. What's even funnier is that I think there was one question on voltage drop. 1. and no clear question on pf correction. The point is that, no matter how many problems one did , the test, was not indicative of what was taught in the prep course, thats all I am saying. Yes, all the questions were electrical, written by phychometricians.  And my guess is that they had a field day. 

If the courses prep you for a mindset, you would expect at the very minimum that an average portion of the questions, regardless of difficulty, would simulate the course and the study material - at $1,000 bucks, I would hope that maybe 30 questions out of the 80 would be stuff from the prep courses. What's even funnier is that I think there was one question on voltage drop. 1. and no clear question on pf correction. The point is that, no matter how many problems one did , the test, was not indicative of what was taught in the prep course, thats all I am saying. Yes, all the questions were electrical, written by phychometricians.  And my guess is that they had a field day. 
Which sounds exactly like the test that all of us electrical PE's passed.

God knows my test sucked ass.

Which sounds exactly like the test that all of us electrical PE's passed.

God knows my test sucked ass.
I can't speak for others, but perhaps it's a good thing to share the experience of what the test was like. You just mention that your test sucked ass. Perhaps, it would have been helpful to also share with the community what helped you prep for the obscure questions and not waste too much time on the box courses.. Is that not the purpose of the board, to ethically help each other? ... I'm sure you did that tho!..LOL

Otherwise, it's like telling a young military pilot "SERE training sucks" or an infantry private "the sandbox, is a **** hole"..come on man! Tell me how to survive! . The best piece of advice I got in the  AF was."Lieutenant, discipline without the proper training will get you killed, train for the unexpected!

If more people in this board would share their experience, without violating any specific rules, then I think it would help us all.

My hope is that by sharing my experience, the next group of testees will ask and learn and that we can all get smarter from each others experiences. 

Lima Mike over and out. Ha ha ha ha ha

They do - you just haven't searched the board enough to find what other people have done to pass. Even with that information, there's no guarantee another person with that information will be successful.

Best of luck, I hope you passed. Now it's time for the hard part....waiting!

I'm with Ken, the test I took was nothing like any of the review materials either. Sure I might have learned a thing or two in the review but it was learning how to read my references (and having the right mix of references). If you are saying if it isn't in the PPI book it shouldn't be on the exam, well that is crap, because the PPI book is crap. You'll either pass or you won't. It sounds like the best thing you can hope for is to keep taking the test until you get lucky and pass.

Oh, and he said "over and out" which should never go together.

What made you think a review book was going to be replicated at the test?

Everyone knows that it only gives you a flavor of what type of questions to expect. Not the exact question. How easy is your real discipline?
college

grad school

work related courses the company i worked for had

previous PE exam i took (civil)

all those made me think the study material would cover what is needed for the exam for which the study material was made. My assumption was based on the experience i've had with every other exam i've taken.

On 10/29/2016 at 7:16 PM, Ken PE 3.0 said: What made you think a review book was going to be replicated at the test? Everyone knows that it only gives you a flavor of what type of questions to expect. Not the exact question. How easy is your real discipline?
collegegrad school

work related courses the company i worked for had

previous PE exam i took (civil)

all those made me think the study material would cover what is needed for the exam for which the study material was made. My assumption was based on the experience i've had with every other exam i've taken.
I guess that's the reason that electrical tends to have a lower pass rate.

I guess that's the reason that electrical tends to have a lower pass rate.
PE Power                769       64%    550    32%

PE Civil Structural    1273    64%    574    35%

meh, about the same. I took the civil about 5 years ago but I honestly do not remember it being so theory intensive as this year's Power. Even with the strictly math problems weren't really problems to work out.

So, 80 questions on voltage drop it is. Quick, someone call NCEES to let them know how to write the new test.

PE Power                769       64%    550    32%

PE Civil Structural    1273    64%    574    35%

meh, about the same. I took the civil about 5 years ago but I honestly do not remember it being so theory intensive as this year's Power. Even with the strictly math problems weren't really problems to work out.
I understand how you feel. Taking power PE exam with civil/structural work experience speaks volumes about the talent you you. So don't be discouraged if you don't pass.

wait for the results and hope for the best. If you fail, you now know what to focus on.

All the best!

Do not worry too much, guys. As long as the reference material covers more than 60% percent of the exam, you are good. 

If you have 80% correct rate on 60% of the exam, 50% correct rate on 20%  intelligent guess, and 25% on the other 20% random guess,  you will get 63% right of the total exam.  That would be enough for the former cut off score for the power exam.

Don't forget people always only remember the questions that brought them hard time.

Never heard of a PE being hired to recite arbitrary textbook definitions and explain theoretical concepts in detail.

Is that what NCEES assumes one does with their engineering seal?

Never heard of a PE being hired to recite arbitrary textbook definitions and explain theoretical concepts in detail.

Is that what NCEES assumes one does with their engineering seal?
You should have brought th correct reference.

ce2222aba230c01a85dbf0d47ee06b27.jpg

Back