Table set up at exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ft. Worth, Texas

4'x8' folding table, 2 person per table

books on table and cart
So far Castle Worldwide in NYC-Queens College seems to be non-compliant with the NCEES table size regulations with tiny 3.5 foot school tables.  Very odd.  Far off from the required 8 feet for 2 people or 6 feet for 1 person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does castle worldwide not follow NCEES regulations in the Proctor Manual?  Apparently other proctors like in oregon have the 6 or 8 ft long tables required by NCEES.  I am surprised no one has complained after all these years.  I do not think it is very likely that they will change the test site or buy 100s of new tables.
Not sure, but my guess is that after taking the test at Queens College there were many 'other' things on a persons mind to complain about.  For example:

1. No parking provided for the test takers (only the testing 'staff') - and in my case, having to walk nearly a mile from where I could find a parking spot on the street to get into the test center.
  2. Not being allowed to access any water you bring with you until the lunch break or after the test is completed
  3. Being forced to say outside in the sun (or rain If that was the case), for nearly an hour to get into the building in the morning, than again for the 1:15 during the lunch break
  4. Having to walk to the opposite end of the athletic building to reach a restroom
  5. No clocks on the walls at the front of the room (I think I saw one a hundred yards away at the far back corner, but did not bring my binoculars)
For me at least, having to reach down under the table for one of the references in my plastic milk cartons was actually a minor inconvenience.  I quickly realized I needed to swap some of the references between the floor and the table as the test went on.  It was a much bigger problem however, when the guy at the table next to me had one of his 5-inch loose leaf binders accidentally break open and the sheets went all over the floor (probably because he tried to get about 10 of those on that small table), requiring him and the proctor to walks around everyone's small spaces between the table to pick everything up.

So far Castle Worldwide in NYC-Queens College seems to be non-compliant with the NCEES table size regulations with tiny 3.5 foot school tables.  Very odd.  Far off from the required 8 feet for 2 people or 6 feet for 1 person.
There were over 800 people taking the exams at the Will Rogers Convention Center. It was divided into 4 or 5 separate rooms. I am sure it will be the same this October.

Not sure, but my guess is that after taking the test at Queens College there were many 'other' things on a persons mind to complain about.  For example:

1. No parking provided for the test takers (only the testing 'staff') - and in my case, having to walk nearly a mile from where I could find a parking spot on the street to get into the test center.
  2. Not being allowed to access any water you bring with you until the lunch break or after the test is completed
  3. Being forced to say outside in the sun (or rain If that was the case), for nearly an hour to get into the building in the morning, than again for the 1:15 during the lunch break
  4. Having to walk to the opposite end of the athletic building to reach a restroom
  5. No clocks on the walls at the front of the room (I think I saw one a hundred yards away at the far back corner, but did not bring my binoculars)
For me at least, having to reach down under the table for one of the references in my plastic milk cartons was actually a minor inconvenience.  I quickly realized I needed to swap some of the references between the floor and the table as the test went on.  It was a much bigger problem however, when the guy at the table next to me had one of his 5-inch loose leaf binders accidentally break open and the sheets went all over the floor (probably because he tried to get about 10 of those on that small table), requiring him and the proctor to walks around everyone's small spaces between the table to pick everything up.
I can agree with every part of this, it was about a 12 minute walk round trip to go to the bathroom (just to walk there and back), you had to go out the gym, down the hall, downstairs,  across to the opposite end of the building, and around a corner.

I got dropped off for the exam and we got there 2 hours early just so we could find a place to sit in the car until they were closer to letting people in. 

I also found it ridiculous when we had lunch we all left the gym, went to the first floor of the building ( they locked the gym and had proctors in it) some of us were sitting on the benches in the entryway of the building eating lunch when suddenly the proctors decided we didn't just have to be outside the gym, we couldn't even be in the building during lunch so we had to go outside and find someplace to sit and eat there instead.

And like you said, not only were the tables 3.5' square, there was only like 1.5' between tables, so there wasn't a ton of space to put your stuff on the floor either. My material for civil-structural PE took up most the floor space under my desk and between my and the desk to my left (the person at the table to my right used up the space to my right) so there wasn't even room to walk between the tables once everyone got setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back