Table set up at exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because the testing facility is supposed to make sure the environment is fair for all takers.

The ncees specifically permits only certain items, so you put the proctors in a situation where they are supposed to interpret what ncees may or may not have intended and also create a advantage for yourself that others do not have.

A cautious administrator may deny it.  if you can show me where it states that a book shelf is a permitted test item, ill retract the above.  🙂

The ncees specifically permits only certain items, so you put the proctors in a situation where they are supposed to interpret what ncees may or may not have intended and also create a advantage for yourself that others do not have.
Thanks Szar for your thoughts.  Because I don't understand the concern and I feel like I am in the twilight zone right now, I looked up what NCEES states in their requirements "The Candidate Agreement for Pencil and Paper Exams".  

They state "Examinees may not place crates, boxes, or bookends on the desktop

I used wood crates.....I stacked the crates on the floor.......I would also be willing to make the argument that my set up was easier to monitor / proctor....no one can hind anything this way...no pockets and everything is in the open.  

Because I don't understand the concern and I feel like I am in the twilight zone right now, I looked up what NCEES states in their requirements "The Candidate Agreement for Pencil and Paper Exams". 
There isn't much to try to understand. Every state and testing location has a slightly different set of site specific rules. Some states are more restrictive than others: some because they interpret the rules more narrowly, others because of spatial limitations of the testing center.

I'll add here too, NYC area it was given in a gymnasium at Queens College, everyone got a 2.5'x2.5' table for all their materials. Books, crates, and boxes coud be placed on the floor next to your table, but there was only 2' between your table and the ones on either side, could only have a couple books actually on the table at a time, not allowed a big stack. I was barely able to fit all my codes for the Structural depth under my table and on my left side (the area to my right was used by the person on my right). All other bags and items had to be left at the proctor's table, including lunch bags, water bottles, ect. You were not permitted any drinks during the exam. If you had to use the bathroom you had to ask the proctor for a pass, only one person in the section of about 50 people could go to the bathroom at a time, and the bathroom were out the gym, down a floor, and on the other end of the building so it was like a 10 minute round trip walk. There was no clock in the gym, and everyone was required to leave the building during lunch (not just the gym), everyone left their materials in the gym during the lunch break. The proctors were nice but serious, a lot more relaxed after the exam finished.
When do you get the official address to the " Location: New York City Area"  for the PE Exam?  I am assuming it is at Queens College but can this change until you get the exam authorization sent out 2 weeks prior to the exam date?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, it's only on the exam authorization. And they only send it out in the month before the exam.

And occasionally they change it after the exam notifications have gone out! No joke, this happened to my coworker when he took the PE Exam 4-5 years ago. There was a motorcycle convention that wanted the convention center where PE exam is usually administered locally, and so it got move to another location with less than two weeks to go.

I think that's pretty rare, though!

It's on the authorization, also it might not be at Queens College, I know from a bunch of people most previous ones were at Pratt Institute, only the most recent one was at Queens College

in western WA (wild wild west) april is in downtown seattle and october is in puyallup (about 1hr south of seattle) 

It's on the authorization, also it might not be at Queens College, I know from a bunch of people most previous ones were at Pratt Institute, only the most recent one was at Queens College
Definitely took it at Pratt back in the day  :eek:ld-025:   I wasn't even aware it had changed to Queens College.  To be fair, Queens has better parking facilities though the food options suck.

After reading the comments above, I'm guess the contraption I have built (attached) ain't going to work out. Was going to use it as a rolling bookcase, but this won't fit under a desk, if thats what needs to happen.

Also, does this thing look as ridiculous to you guys as it does to me, or have you seen similar things on test day. Im testing in the Raleigh NC area.

View attachment 10966
That would work in TN. Similar to my set up for civil-Structural...

I'll add here too, NYC area it was given in a gymnasium at Queens College, everyone got a 2.5'x2.5' table for all their materials. Books, crates, and boxes coud be placed on the floor next to your table, but there was only 2' between your table and the ones on either side, could only have a couple books actually on the table at a time, not allowed a big stack. I was barely able to fit all my codes for the Structural depth under my table and on my left side (the area to my right was used by the person on my right). All other bags and items had to be left at the proctor's table, including lunch bags, water bottles, ect. You were not permitted any drinks during the exam. If you had to use the bathroom you had to ask the proctor for a pass, only one person in the section of about 50 people could go to the bathroom at a time, and the bathroom were out the gym, down a floor, and on the other end of the building so it was like a 10 minute round trip walk. There was no clock in the gym, and everyone was required to leave the building during lunch (not just the gym), everyone left their materials in the gym during the lunch break. The proctors were nice but serious, a lot more relaxed after the exam finished.
I remember it well.  I was in the section group of tables up in the front left of that gym.

My biggest problem with the setup was getting my two plastic milk cartons containing books, from my car parked in a City street spot (on the LIE service Road), to the campus entrance, up that steep hill, and into the athletic building.  I had used some bungee-cords to try to hold it all together onto the small handled dolly, however the sidewalks were in such poor condition I kept hitting huge bumps, cracks and dips that caused by contraption to fall apart, and I needed to continually stop and rebuild my setup again, and again, and again.  Then in the room itself, there was so little space between the tables they assigned us to that I could barely move my chair from side-to-side or front to back, due to the crates of the people near my seat.  Also, not having water to drink was absolutely horrific, along with the lack of clocks in that room which forced me to wear the cheap Timex watch I brought as a backup (since they would not let us put it on the desk), that was biting into skin of my wrist.  I was starting to wonder if I bought myself a ticket into hades.

As I drove home after the test, I began planning how I would do things differently if I had to re-take the test in October.  Arriving much earlier so I could get a closer parking spot, a full-size wagon or cart to transport my books, and a better watch with a leather band.  I thank the Lord I will not need to do any of that by his allowing me to pass.

By the way, I never did unpack my setup after getting home, so I will try and post a picture to this response later to show everyone taking the test next time in New York City what "not" to do.

I remember it well.  I was in the section group of tables up in the front left of that gym.

My biggest problem with the setup was getting my two plastic milk cartons containing books, from my car parked in a City street spot (on the LIE service Road), to the campus entrance, up that steep hill, and into the athletic building.  I had used some bungee-cords to try to hold it all together onto the small handled dolly, however the sidewalks were in such poor condition I kept hitting huge bumps, cracks and dips that caused by contraption to fall apart, and I needed to continually stop and rebuild my setup again, and again, and again.  Then in the room itself, there was so little space between the tables they assigned us to that I could barely move my chair from side-to-side or front to back, due to the crates of the people near my seat.  Also, not having water to drink was absolutely horrific, along with the lack of clocks in that room which forced me to wear the cheap Timex watch I brought as a backup (since they would not let us put it on the desk), that was biting into skin of my wrist.  I was starting to wonder if I bought myself a ticket into hades.

As I drove home after the test, I began planning how I would do things differently if I had to re-take the test in October.  Arriving much earlier so I could get a closer parking spot, a full-size wagon or cart to transport my books, and a better watch with a leather band.  I thank the Lord I will not need to do any of that by his allowing me to pass.

By the way, I never did unpack my setup after getting home, so I will try and post a picture to this response later to show everyone taking the test next time in New York City what "not" to do.
Does anyone remember how long the tables were at Queens College or any test site?  When I took the FE there it was around 3.5 feet long and they were cheap and wobbly.  But when I asked NCEES about the regulation about the sizes of the exam table they told me 8 feet per 2 people or 6 feet for 1 person.  This supposed to be in the Proctor Manual.  Did queens college ever change this?

Does anyone remember how long the tables were at Queens College or any test site?  When I took the FE there it was around 3.5 feet long and they were cheap and wobbly.  But when I asked NCEES about the regulation about the sizes of the exam table they told me 8 feet per 2 people or 6 feet for 1 person.  This supposed to be in the Proctor Manual.  Did queens college ever change this?
The Queens College tables were no more than 3.5 foot square - sort of like the desks in the New York City High School I attended, but without the shelf.  The chairs were hard plastic as well - no cushion.

The Queens College tables were no more than 3.5 foot square - sort of like the desks in the New York City High School I attended, but without the shelf.  The chairs were hard plastic as well - no cushion.
Why does castle worldwide not follow NCEES regulations in the Proctor Manual?  Apparently other proctors like in oregon have the 6 or 8 ft long tables required by NCEES.  I am surprised no one has complained after all these years.  I do not think it is very likely that they will change the test site or buy 100s of new tables.

Right, but is it publicly available?
The NCEES representative quoted the manual to me over the live chat on their website. Not sure if it is publicly available.  8 feet for 2 people or 6 feet for 1 person.

What was your table setup like when you took the exam?

Exam location?

Table size?

Number of people at each table?

Where did you keep your books?

Any other info appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ft. Worth, Texas

4'x8' folding table, 2 person per table

books on table and cart

Back