Table set up at exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sorry if the original post wasn’t clear. I’m not taking 50 books to the exam. I have 4 books plus my practice exams and index binders. I was simply looking for the best means to have the books at the table. To be honest, I’m tired of people suggesting I don’t know the material just because I’m trying to get a sense of realistic conditions for the exam. It undermines the 200 hours of studying I’ve put into this exam.

I thought this forum’s purpose was for questions like this (“anything about the PE exam”). Your opinion on whether or not I know the material can be kept to yourself. You should have kept your post to bullet point #1 and stopped there. How does bullet point #2 help anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're only looking for information that makes you feel good about yourself then perhaps you should not post on a public forum.  Also, if the opinion of others who have taken the exam and are providing insight is not important to you then perhaps you should not be posting at all?

After reading the comments above, I'm guess the contraption I have built (attached) ain't going to work out. Was going to use it as a rolling bookcase, but this won't fit under a desk, if thats what needs to happen.

Also, does this thing look as ridiculous to you guys as it does to me, or have you seen similar things on test day. Im testing in the Raleigh NC area.
Not ridiculous, I saw a bunch of people with a similar set up in Maryland. They just put the crates on the ground under the desk during the test.

I ended up getting this from staples and it’s actually working great for the couple practice exams I’ve used used it for.
f84e18256b1cb2ddec5ab9f9dfe207a8.jpeg
I saw a bunch of these used when I took the test. It should be effective.

If you're only looking for information that makes you feel good about yourself then perhaps you should not post on a public forum.  Also, if the opinion of others who have taken the exam and are providing insight is not important to you then perhaps you should not be posting at all?
The only thing that makes me feel good about myself is knowing that an idiot like yourself passed the exam. Can’t be as difficult as I’ve been imagining. Thanks for the confidence boost.

Telling people that they may not know the material well enough isn’t insight, it’s counterproductive to what the original post was meant for.

Thanks to the other posters, you’ve been a tremendous help.

The only thing that makes me feel good about myself is knowing that an idiot like yourself passed the exam. Can’t be as difficult as I’ve been imagining. Thanks for the confidence boost.

Telling people that they may not know the material well enough isn’t insight, it’s counterproductive to what the original post was meant for.

Thanks to the other posters, you’ve been a tremendous help.
If you keep that attitude up, the last three letters of your username will be highly prophetic.

@knight1fox3

I read somewhere that you  can't put your reference on the aisle, so excess books got to be under the table. That could be a pain reaching your stuff under. 

I am now using a square card table about 4'x3', all my stuff can fit. 

Anyone took the test previously in NYC area? Do they get you this size of table? 

Thanks!

NYC. Square card tables - one per examinee in a big gymnasium. I kept the most common books on my table and the rest in their bags on the floor.
Oh this one, what's the table size like? I am taking test in NYC area as well. 

If I get 4'x3' table I should be fine. 

Leave it to a bunch of engineers to over-think something that is really rather simple. Adaptation is typically another trait found with the engineering types. I guarantee the specifications of the table will be the least of your worries come exam day.

The only thing that makes me feel good about myself is knowing that an idiot like yourself passed the exam. Can’t be as difficult as I’ve been imagining. Thanks for the confidence boost. Telling people that they may not know the material well enough isn’t insight, it’s counterproductive to what the original post was meant for. Thanks to the other posters, you’ve been a tremendous help.
If you keep that attitude up, the last three letters of your username will be highly prophetic.

@knight1fox3
Indeed. 1st warning @bellalshaaban. Keep it civil. If you don't like/agree with feedback that others have to offer, then don't post/respond. So far you're the only one tossing out insults.

I have had both sides - where you were allowed to have crates/bookends on your table, and when you weren't. also when you were allowed to have everything close by, and when you weren't. make sure you're adaptable, crates/boxes is probably wise as you can have your references organized and accessible and stacked or adjacent or on the table or under the table in a modular adjustable fashion. 

Civil Structural has LOTS of references! Don't judge us by our amount of *required* books to bring!  :eek:ld-025:

i had 18inch wide particle board folding banquet table with table cloth.  two per table.  kept most of the books in crate under table as the table was not wide enough to have books and test on it at the same time.  almost needed a clipboard under writing surface so the pencil didn't go through the paper due to the table cloth

i had 18inch wide particle board folding banquet table with table cloth.  two per table.  kept most of the books in crate under table as the table was not wide enough to have books and test on it at the same time.  almost needed a clipboard under writing surface so the pencil didn't go through the paper due to the table cloth
you really mean so you could cut people if they looked at you funny - reason for clipboard

Wow. Where was this?

I ended up getting this from staples and it’s actually working great for the couple practice exams I’ve used used it for.
f84e18256b1cb2ddec5ab9f9dfe207a8.jpeg
That should be good.  I used a small hand truck and bungee corded two milk crates to it.  Everyone, including me, who could bring in multiple books sat at a medium sized, rectangular folding table. Only one person per table. I placed all my primary sources on the table arranged for quick access.  I also had additional books but I had those for moral support and kept them in my crates.

I'd strongly suggest visiting the exam location 1-2 days before.  That rolling crate should be effective anywhere.  But just knowing the layout of the place gives you a better feeling about things.  Might give you better insight as to how early you need to arrive on test day. 

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading the comments above, I'm guess the contraption I have built (attached) ain't going to work out.
Not necessarily. At my site we used long tables (I'm guessing 6' or so - one person to each table) and there was enough room beside you to store books on the floor without them being in the aisle. All depends upon the location and whether they enforce the "under table" rule.

I started out nice an organized and by the end of each test session my area looked like a bunch of books arranged a swinger party.

Oh this one, what's the table size like? I am taking test in NYC area as well. 

If I get 4'x3' table I should be fine. 
Same, that's about the size of my desk at work( which is usually cluttered with a lot more stuff than just my review material). Just gotta figure out how I'm transporting all my codes (for structural). Kinda annoyed tho NCEES on the Examinee guide says to bring snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, but on the Exam Authorization I just got it says "Please note: Food and beverage are NOT allowed in the exam area for testing in New York State." I was planning on bringing a couple water bottles and maybe some gummy bears, at least the water since it's (2) 4 hours sessions. Its kinda ridiculous they're saying we can't have any drinks. It's not like you're going to be sneaking in a cheat sheet on the water bottle since you can bring whatever references you want anyway.

Same, that's about the size of my desk at work( which is usually cluttered with a lot more stuff than just my review material). Just gotta figure out how I'm transporting all my codes (for structural). Kinda annoyed tho NCEES on the Examinee guide says to bring snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, but on the Exam Authorization I just got it says "Please note: Food and beverage are NOT allowed in the exam area for testing in New York State." I was planning on bringing a couple water bottles and maybe some gummy bears, at least the water since it's (2) 4 hours sessions. Its kinda ridiculous they're saying we can't have any drinks. It's not like you're going to be sneaking in a cheat sheet on the water bottle since you can bring whatever references you want anyway.
Honestly, unless you have a problem with dry mouth or some other condition, you'll likely not miss it. And in those cases, I'd assume they'd have to make an exception for valid medical conditions.

I purposefully didn't drink during the test so I wouldn't have to use the restroom. Every second counted for a slow poke like me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Gear-Cart-Black-222573/205441921

I used one of these. It held everything I needed and it was convenient rolling everything from my house to hotel room to the exam site. Being from NYC, I put a lock on each end during lunch time, so no one could snatch any of my reference materials cause they expensive! Also it was raining the day I had to take the exam and this baby kept water out of my books.

Back