Superelevation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghim

Reaction score
Trying to solve this super elevation problems. But I don't know how to get the number of lanes rotated. (For the length of tangent runout and length of superelevation, see GDHS 3-25/3-26.)

Anybody knows?

Thanks in adavnce....

superelevation.pdf

Attachments

• superelevation.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 104
Trying to solve this super elevation problems. But I don't know how to get the number of lanes rotated. (For the length of tangent runout and length of superelevation, see GDHS 3-25/3-26.)
Anybody knows?

Thanks in adavnce....

ghim,

Please look at AASHTO GDHS (2004) page 178, Exh 3-31. It has a pretty clear depiction of n<sub>1 (Number of lanes rotated). Basically, it's usually half your typical street section (the half on the other side of the CL which will be rotated from a regular crowned section with a negative slope to a superelevated section with a positive slope). Ex. a 2-lane road (one lane on each side of the CL) will have an n1 = 1, a 4-lane road will have an n1 = 2, a 6-lane road will have an n1 = 2, etc. I hope that helps.

Anybody knows?

Thanks in adavnce....

ghim,

Please look at AASHTO GDHS (2004) page 178, Exh 3-31. It has a pretty clear depiction of n<sub>1 (Number of lanes rotated). Basically, it's usually half your typical street section (the half on the other side of the CL which will be rotated from a regular crowned section with a negative slope to a superelevated section with a positive slope). Ex. a 2-lane road (one lane on each side of the CL) will have an n1 = 1, a 4-lane road will have an n1 = 2, a 6-lane road will have an n1 = 2, etc. I hope that helps.
Thank you for your quick response, ptatohed.

However, in the solution for this problem, it says, n1=2.5 instead of 2. Is this correct? I thought n1=2 though.

Also, in your answer, a 6-lane road will have an n1=3? or 2? I thought it is 3. I might be wrong......

Anybody knows?

Thanks in adavnce....

ghim,

However, in the solution for this problem, it says, n1=2.5 instead of 2. Is this correct? I thought n1=2 though.

Also, in your answer, a 6-lane road will have an n1=3? or 2? I thought it is 3. I might be wrong......
ghim,

Yes, sorry about my typo, I meant to say that a 6-lane road would have an n1 = 3.

In your specific problem example, the typical section is a 4-lane road but there is also a dedicated left turn lane, which is considered a 5th lane. So, they are coming up with n1 = 2.5 by dividing 5 in half. The CL/crown must be located in the center of the center left turn (or "suicide") lane. Does that make sense?

Anybody knows?

Thanks in adavnce....

ghim,

ghim,

Yes, sorry about my typo, I meant to say that a 6-lane road would have an n1 = 3.

In your specific problem example, the typical section is a 4-lane road but there is also a dedicated left turn lane, which is considered a 5th lane. So, they are coming up with n1 = 2.5 by dividing 5 in half. The CL/crown must be located in the center of the center left turn (or "suicide") lane. Does that make sense?
Thank you, ptatohed. I got it now.

Back