Suggested tabbing method for MERM (and all PE references)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has 3M called Shaggy to use his name on their professional exam niche market for reference tabs? I have a name Shagdelic Tabs.

Good stuff - I used a variation of this method and passed first time.

Not sure if Buick is still active, but what edition of Machinery Handbook and Shigley did you use for your quick reference?
I'm not Buick, but passed first attempt so maybe my opinion counts anyway. I used Shigley's 4th edition (old, but relevant) and Machinery's Handbook 24 (likewise) and I referenced both books during the exam.

I tabbed most of my references according to the recommendations in this thread and was very pleased with the result.

Bump.

BTW, does anyone know if those write on plastic tabs that are similar to sticky notes are ok to use for the exam in Texas?

Shaggy, Could you post a picture of your tabs for the MD sections? I was able to make out what tabs you used for fluids thermo and heat, just wanted to see what you have tabbed for MD sections. Its not clear in the image. Thanks!

Shaggy, this technique is awesome, thanks for sharing. I've been using this method for the past month or so and it's made a big difference. Wish I had known about it while in college! Would have saved some time on those open-book exams.

Uzairsyedahmed, the point is not to copy his tabs - but to copy his method. You should tab the relevant subjects as you work your way through the problems and find important sections. Or copy his tabs, if that works for you. :D

Seeing as how the original post by Shaggy was in 2007 and he hasn't logged onto the site since 2011, it seems unlikely that he is going to be able to respond to your request uzairsyedahmed.

As nsgoldberg mentioned, the best tabbing method is to tab the pages you found yourself using repeatedly while working problems. While working problems I kept some blank tabs on hand and marked the pages I kept coming back to. A week or two before the exam I went back and organized those tabs a little better using the "Shaggy Method".

It is awesome that this thread is still alive. For some reason I came to check on it... funny that the last update was just a month ago. As reiterated above, the main concepts are "you" determine what is important, then arrange the side tabs by section and the top tabs such that all the tabs in the section are visible from the front of the section. This allows you to quickly go to the section and then quickly go to the formula/table.

Shaggy,

I used a similar tabbing method and found it very helpful.

I saved the tabbing till about 2 weeks before the exam. At that point I had gone through most of my practice problems and review, so I knew which sections were the most important for me. Around that same time, I also started putting together my handwritten reference sheet. Both activities helped my familiarity with the MERM and especially the formulas that I needed to know.

I ended up not really needing the tabs or my reference sheet, but it was a great exercise. Now, over a year later, having the MERM tabbed out is excellent. It's one of my most used reference books and I'm able to very quickly navigate through it.

I went with heavy duty, sticky tabs that seem to have held up quite well so far.

I cannot view Shaggy's .jpgs.  I've logged in and looked for the settings to allow them, with no luck.  Any advice?  Thanks!

I cannot view Shaggy's .jpgs.  I've logged in and looked for the settings to allow them, with no luck.  Any advice?  Thanks!
Given the age of the original post (2007). You will likely never see the jpgs.

You should be able to discern the method from reading his description.  It's actually very simple.  On the side of the book you tab the main chapters - Chapter 1 - Math, Chapter 2 - Thermo etc.  On the top of the book, BY CHAPTER, you tab formulas or diagrams you find important. When tabbing at the top, start either at the inside of the book and work your way out or vice versa so that there's a specific pattern.  For example, my first formula that I find useful I may tab the outer, right corner in chapter 1 and then work my way inward toward the spine.  When you get to Chapter 2 you do the same.

It's easier if you use specific colors, for example, chapter 1 red tabs, chapter 2 yellow etc.  

Pretty similar to this except he seems to have tabbed his formulas and tables along with the chapters on the side.  

For those who can't see the pictures, it's really not that difficult.  Along the right side of the MERM (opposite the spine) tab all the MAIN CHAPTERS only.  So your tab should only have Math, Fluids, Thermo - whatever the chapter name in the MERM is.  Along the top of your MERM, place tabs for each table/chart etc. you found useful by chapter.  Alternate colors if you need to and of course stagger your tabs so they're not all directly under each other.  It is almost identical to the Youtube video that I posted in the previous page except that video has both the main chapter and the tables tabbed along the side instead of splitting it between side/top of the MERM.

Back