Suggested tabbing method for MERM (and all PE references)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All. I am taking the exam here in about 2 weeks and have plans this week to go in and finish off all my tabbing...wanted to look at this example, but when I pull up the thread, there are no pictures showing up in Shaggy's post from July 31, 2007...are the pics there? I am doing something wrong such that I can't see them? Any help is appreciated - thanks.

Yep, pictures are there. In order to view images, you have to be logged in.

Good luck on the test.

Yep, pictures are there. In order to view images, you have to be logged in.
Good luck on the test.

I am a visual person, thanks for the description and help. I am currently logged on, and still not able to review the pictures. Where is it located on the post?

Thanks!

Tiffani,

Try clicking on the "My Controls" link at the top of the page and make sure the setting that says "Do you wish to view images in posts, such as smilies and posted images?" is "YES".

EDIT: It's under the "Board Options" on the left-hand side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiffani,
Try clicking on the "My Controls" link at the top of the page and make sure the setting that says "Do you wish to view images in posts, such as smilies and posted images?" is "YES".

EDIT: It's under the "Board Options" on the left-hand side.
If that doesn't work the image hosting site that Shaggy has used my be blocked for you. Try logging on from a different computer (not on the same network).

If that doesn't work the image hosting site that Shaggy has used my be blocked for you. Try logging on from a different computer (not on the same network).
Yea, those settings were already set to yes. Therefore, I will have to try on another computer. Thanks for your assistance!

Hey Shaggy,

I know this is an odd question, but it looks like you did a thorough job of tabbing the book and I was wondering if it was all possible to make a guide to you tabbing like a list of topics with page numbers to help save a lot of time for people who want to tab with your method. I know that you are probably a busy person but I was hoping it wouldn't take too long to help everyone on the board out a little bit. Secondly, people could tab or not topics they deem important and could tab things you didn't put in but I believe a guide by you would be very beneficial.

Coop

Hey Shaggy,
I know this is an odd question, but it looks like you did a thorough job of tabbing the book and I was wondering if it was all possible to make a guide to you tabbing like a list of topics with page numbers to help save a lot of time for people who want to tab with your method. I know that you are probably a busy person but I was hoping it wouldn't take too long to help everyone on the board out a little bit. Secondly, people could tab or not topics they deem important and could tab things you didn't put in but I believe a guide by you would be very beneficial.

Coop
I'd recommend tabbing the content on your own. This is one of those things where the process is just as important as the end result. When I did it, it was the #1 thing that helped me get intimately familiar with the content in the MERM. To each his own, though. For what it's worth, I tabbed the heck out of the fluids and thermo sections, but only have a handful of things tabbed in the rest of the book. I guess I'm a minimalist who only wants the extremely important things tabbed (e.g. Bernoulli's extended equation, NPSHA, ideal gas thermo, etc.).

Hey Shaggy,

Coop
Look closely at what he did. Tab the topic on the side, and color key it with subsections on the bottom.

On the top use color keyed tabs for equations/charts/tables YOU feel are important.

I'd recommend tabbing the content on your own. This is one of those things where the process is just as important as the end result. When I did it, it was the #1 thing that helped me get intimately familiar with the content in the MERM. To each his own, though. For what it's worth, I tabbed the heck out of the fluids and thermo sections, but only have a handful of things tabbed in the rest of the book. I guess I'm a minimalist who only wants the extremely important things tabbed (e.g. Bernoulli's extended equation, NPSHA, ideal gas thermo, etc.).
I understand you advice. I have already done all the problems associated with the book and am familiar with it. I was going to tab on my own but was hoping that it would help me from missing something.

I can and will put a list together of what I tabbed, but it is unlikely that I will be able to get it up before you guys take the test (7 days). Like the others have stated, the act of tabbing what you feel is important has its own inherent value. When I tabbed my books, it wasn't that I went through the books and thought "ah, this is important." It was while I was working problems (NCEES sample, MERM sample, MERM practice, PPI 6min sols). When I found a useful equation or data table, I marked it.

Also, it should be noted... On the page that received a tab indicating important data (equation or table), I hi-lited the equation or table so that when I got to the page, I didn't have to search for the equation.

Also, it should be noted... On the page that received a tab indicating important data (equation or table), I hi-lited the equation or table so that when I got to the page, I didn't have to search for the equation.
I did the same thing, but starred the equation in red ink because hiliters tended to bleed through.

I did the same thing, but starred the equation in red ink because hiliters tended to bleed through.
I highlighted the crap out of my MERM. I also had bleed through, which was really bad, so I switched to a 'dry' highlighter. The best seems to be by TOMBOW, it's like correction tape, but is transparent flourescent yellow. Harder to use than standard highlighter, but the standard highlighter was damaging flip side of the pages, so switched to this and it has worked well.

see:

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=...fice%20Supplies

BPH

I understand you advice. I have already done all the problems associated with the book and am familiar with it. I was going to tab on my own but was hoping that it would help me from missing something.
I incorporated the Shaggy tabbing method as an idea of how I would tab my MERM as well as utilized the MERM subject sheets attachment - MERM_11th_Subjects.pdf from Matt-NM post: MERM Subject Sheets . The 11th and 12th editions were similar.

Both very helpful post.... Thanks!

I incorporated the Shaggy tabbing method as an idea of how I would tab my MERM as well as utilized the MERM subject sheets attachment - MERM_11th_Subjects.pdf from Matt-NM post: MERM Subject Sheets . The 11th and 12th editions were similar.
Both very helpful post.... Thanks!
Thanks for the scans. I have taken the scans and put together a MERM Guide. It has the topics per category then chapter and then gives a page number per topic. I find this faster than going the index every time. If you find it useful go ahead and use it if not don't. I figured I had it made I might as well share it. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for the scans. I have taken the scans and put together a MERM Guide. It has the topics per category then chapter and then gives a page number per topic. I find this faster than going the index every time. If you find it useful go ahead and use it if not don't. I figured I had it made I might as well share it. Any feedback is appreciated.
Looks good Coop. Thanks for re-doing the list by adding the pages as well as making it a word doc. Thanks for sharing!

Coop, thanks for the extra work, I will print it out and use it.

Back