Suggested tabbing method for MERM (and all PE references)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did "The Shag" as well, only changed one thing.

I started out putting tabs on pages I thought I would need, but I ended up with a bunch of tabs I didn't ever use that cluttered up the book.

So I started doing this: as I was working problems I would tab something I actually used to work a problem, this kept me from adding way to many tabs.

I did "The Shag" as well, only changed one thing.
I started out putting tabs on pages I thought I would need, but I ended up with a bunch of tabs I didn't ever use that cluttered up the book.

So I started doing this: as I was working problems I would tab something I actually used to work a problem, this kept me from adding way to many tabs.
Another Shag user here. I agree to tab while working problems at first. After I had worked all the problems at least once, I went back and filled in the ones I wanted to refer to quickly. It seemed like most of them were the various power cycles.

The as you go method is the only way. That is what I did as well. What you think you need at the start of the process and the what you actually use are two entirely different animals.

I ended up not having too many tabs, but I color coded them based on the type of information they led to. One color for tables/charts, one color for formulas, one color for procedures. I wouldn't tab something until I used it to solve more than one or two problems.

I can and will put a list together of what I tabbed, but it is unlikely that I will be able to get it up before you guys take the test (7 days). Like the others have stated, the act of tabbing what you feel is important has its own inherent value. When I tabbed my books, it wasn't that I went through the books and thought "ah, this is important." It was while I was working problems (NCEES sample, MERM sample, MERM practice, PPI 6min sols). When I found a useful equation or data table, I marked it.
Also, it should be noted... On the page that received a tab indicating important data (equation or table), I hi-lited the equation or table so that when I got to the page, I didn't have to search for the equation.
Was this list ever compiled?

Putting the time into whatever system used is the important thing. For buick455 it was his reference index. For me it was the tabbing. The important thing is to do something that helps you find data that you feel is important... and to find that data quickly. I believe everyone should put forth the effort. I don't think simply using anyone elses selected "important data" is much benefit.

buick455

I am using your "Quick Referance " system. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into that document. About tabbing and writting notes in the MERM. I have been studying since November for the April 2010 est. As I study I write little notes in the margins, circle important equations etc. I have found my self putting 3" x 3" post-it notes in the text of the book to help get my thoughts together for the multi step problems. ie: It takes 4 steps to calculate the friction factor in a length of pipe. I have these steps on the post-it notes near the Moody graph. Looking at the Virginia rules, I see no problem as long as the post-its are permanitly affixed. Some of my tabs are just post it notes. Has anybody seen any problem with post it notes in the text of the MERM in Virginia?

In California, it was recommended to tape down the standard post-it using something like Scotch Tape. Permanent is a loose term. I would not consider the adhesion of a post-it as permanent.

In addition to tabbing similar to Shaggy method, I made a MERM index.

This index is 3-4 pages showing the major topics.

I used this in study and on the test. It's faster than the detailed MERM Index. I printed it and put it in front of my Printed MERM index in a binder.

MERM_Index.xls

Attachments

• MERM_Index.xls
    32 KB · Views: 192
buick455
I am using your "Quick Reference " system. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into that document. About tabbing and writing notes in the MERM. I have been studying since November for the April 2010 est. As I study I write little notes in the margins, circle important equations etc. I have found my self putting 3" x 3" post-it notes in the text of the book to help get my thoughts together for the multi step problems. ie: It takes 4 steps to calculate the friction factor in a length of pipe. I have these steps on the post-it notes near the Moody graph. Looking at the Virginia rules, I see no problem as long as the post-its are permanently affixed. Some of my tabs are just post it notes. Has anybody seen any problem with post it notes in the text of the MERM in Virginia?

Thanks, The system worked for me and I also has a coworker use it this past spring and he passed. How did you do? Note: I sent it to Lyndeburg and got no response.

Shaggy,

I find that flipping through the book can be time-consuming and uncomfortable, even with tabs.

I've decided to do the following:

1) Create an organized binder with tabs, sub-tabs, and Table of Contents

2) Copy the Appendicies by topic

For example, I've copied all the Fluids Appendicies needed for fluid dynamics:

14.A

16.B

17.A

17.B

17.D

etc.

I plan to do the same for Thermo and other hand tables needed.

3) Copy the pages with important formulas and tables

For example, on the top of your book, you have a tab for the Hydrualic power tables, etc. I've copied pages 18-6 and 18-7 and putting them into a tab in my Reference/Organization binder.

As I approach the exam, I will in more detail organize this binder with the topics on the side and post-it tabs on the top for specific formulas, figures, tables, etc.

I do plan to meet with colleagues and classmates before the exam to discuss organization.

It's always good to know which tools might be handy.

I certainly agree with not bringing in books and materials not used during your studies.

I may post a thread with details and pictures of my Reference/Organization binder. However, don't hold me to this. I'm still overwhelmed and it's possible I might not do this until after the exam.

I want my life back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if Buick is still active, but what edition of Machinery Handbook and Shigley did you use for your quick reference?

Latest posts

Back