Structural Engineer (EIT) Salary

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you checked Glassdoor and the likes for salaries that other people have reported and their experience level? You might even find that company. 

I personally have a problem with companies that give low ball offers so I usually don't bother. But they might have to. That's mostly the case for government/state agencies though. In any event, if you like the job and had a positive interview experience, do some research and counter their offer with what market expectations are. If they say no, then at least you got the experience of going through that process and can get to the 1-year mark. You can also keep applying.

With a B.S. in Civil without work experience I was getting a bit less than $19/hr back in 2005 in MA and I know I was low balled even back then but I needed the experience. 

The consensus says you're underpaid, and may be so...but don't undervalue the fact that you love your job, your co-workers, cool projects, etc...may be worth it to let things pan out a year or 2. Especially if you are able to work directly under/with a respected senior engineer...that kind of experience is priceless.

Definitely underpaid.  I started out doing structural design with no experience right out of school at $50k in the Atlanta area.  That hourly rate is $37,500 per year in an area with a stupid high cost of living.  Take it if you have no other options, but this guy has got to know that you have one foot out the door already.  If he doesn't, he's a terrible businessman. 

Back