Structural Breadth Portion

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CivilEngMatt

Reaction score
I am taking the October Exam. I began studying for the exam back in June. I've covered all the subjects with the excpetion of the Structural portion. For those that have taken the exam (pass or fail) what topics should I focus on for the morning portion of the exam. I have the CERM 11th edition, which has a lot of material for structures. Although, I'm not sure what I need to study, I dont have time to study it all, given I need time to review. Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

I am taking the October Exam. I began studying for the exam back in June. I've covered all the subjects with the excpetion of the Structural portion. For those that have taken the exam (pass or fail) what topics should I focus on for the morning portion of the exam. I have the CERM 11th edition, which has a lot of material for structures. Although, I'm not sure what I need to study, I dont have time to study it all, given I need time to review. Any insight would be great.
Thanks,

Matt

Be proficient in drawing shear and bending moment diagrams when given a loading scenario and determining deflection when given the E and I of the structural member. Determining resultant forces in truss members is usually a standard on the exams. You might expect a reinforced concrete beam or column question in which they can ask the amount of rebar required for a member based on given loadings (dead and live loads).

I wouldn't worry too much about specific concrete, steel and timber design where you will need to have separate manuals for those specific building materials for the breadth portion. Just use whatever is given in the CERM.

Good luck!

Spend some time on basic statics problems (determing reactions using sum of forces = 0 and sum of moments = 0) and determinate trusses (at the very least learn how to tell zero-force members...reactions and member forces would also be helpful).

Understand the basic concepts of structures:

Axial, Shear, Moment (aka bending). Understand how to find a force/stress in a member (Given P and A what is f_a and F_a, Given a load and a beam what is the bending stress in the beam, etc.) and it's capacity (f_a vs F_a, f_b vs F_b, f_t vs F_t etc.).

Understand some basic statics problems (shear diagram, moment diagram, a basic frame).

Understand the differences between a live load, dead load, wind load, etc.

That will probably get you started. A few of the questions will be randoms that will require you've read quite a bit of the CERM to find (or hopefully you'll be able to look them up during the test)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back