Storms ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rained like a son-of-a-bitch yesterday and temperature dropped accordingly. Woke up this morning to 26 wonderful degrees with the large tree branch that was 30 feet up in a tree resting on my car... Don't worry, the 5-tone red Tracer looks no worse for the wear. ;)

I have no idea how much snow we have here so far. There's a snow drift that's even with the eves on my detached garage. Ten feet away, the snow looks to be about 4 inches deep. The dog (60 pound collie that loves snow) jumped in one of the drifts in the back yard and I thought I was going to have to go out there and dig him out. Once he managed to extricate himself, he decided maybe he would just come back in and watch it snow from the kitchen window. Heard on the radio that the official tally at O'Hare is 17" with another 6 expected today.
My regular internet connection is also down. I'm using the backup (air card) for access right now. This one hit pretty hard.

I live right by O'hare and it was pretty crazy last night. I thought about going out and snow blowing, but I made the right choice because my neighbor this morning had the same amount of snow as I did and he plowed around 10 PM. After I finished plowing, I went outside about 30 minutes later to put the blower away and we had at least another inch of fresh snow.

My wife is supposed to go into work at 3 today so we'll see if that happens. She is a nurse but still officially in training so not sure if it is absolutely critical. She only has a block to get main roads which hopefully will be cleared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in MO, I-70 was closed all the way across the state from last evening until about 6:30 this morning. Worked from home yesterday, but managed to make it to the office today.

No snow at my house this AM, but it was -10. The local schools are in session (unlike those wussy Denver-area schools), and I'm at work with my space heater going under my desk, as usual in winter.

We're under rolling brownouts right now. I work for a freakin' power company and they cut our power off at work (well, we get our power from a different company, but anyway, it's the principle of the thing...). 15-20 minute intervals. My house has been browned twice (at least) this morning. Wifey couldn't get in after she took the kids to school; her GDO didn't work, and she doesn't have a key to the house on her keychain...

Last edited by a moderator:
we got 17" through Tuesday, they closed my plant for the first time in 25+ years. It was closed Tues/Wed.

About 75% workforce here today.

Still pretty crappy outside. Our culdesac (4 people at the bottom) chipped in and we paid someone to come clean out street enough so we could get up the hill and out, doubt the City will get a plow down it until the weekend sometime.

we got 17" through Tuesday, they closed my plant for the first time in 25+ years. It was closed Tues/Wed.

Still pretty crappy outside. Our culdesac (4 people at the bottom) chipped in and we paid someone to come clean out street enough so we could get up the hill and out, doubt the City will get a plow down it until the weekend sometime.
We had 30" of snow here at the house. We paid some guys with a Bobcat to clean out our driveways and cul-de-sac as well about $75 per house. We actually made it out last night, but no way I would risk it going in to work 7 miles out in the middle of no-where.

We had 30" of snow here at the house. We paid some guys with a Bobcat to clean out our driveways and cul-de-sac as well about $75 per house. We actually made it out last night, but no way I would risk it going in to work 7 miles out in the middle of no-where.
$75/house to move 30in. of snow? That's a deal and a half!!

Y'all need Unimogs!
Did someone say "mog"?

spaceballs.gif

I love this place. From a discussion on snow removal to a flurry of Spaceballs quotes in 3 posts. Impressive, people.

MEXICO CITY (AFP) – Mexico's state electricity company on Wednesday started supplying electricity to the US state of Texas, where demand shot up amid unusually cold temperatures and caused power outages.
Mexico's Federal Electricity Commission "was determined to support Texas with electrical energy faced with the problems the state is suffering due to climatological conditions," a statement said.

An energy transfer of 280 megawatts began at midday (1800 GMT) via the north Mexican border cities of Nuevo Laredo, Reynosa and Piedras Negras, it added.
Man, TX must be slurping the power down!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110202/ts_al..._20110202234748

MEXICO CITY (AFP) – Mexico's state electricity company on Wednesday started supplying electricity to the US state of Texas, where demand shot up amid unusually cold temperatures and caused power outages.
Mexico's Federal Electricity Commission "was determined to support Texas with electrical energy faced with the problems the state is suffering due to climatological conditions," a statement said.

An energy transfer of 280 megawatts began at midday (1800 GMT) via the north Mexican border cities of Nuevo Laredo, Reynosa and Piedras Negras, it added.
Man, TX must be slurping the power down!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110202/ts_al..._20110202234748
Mexico is just supplying power to it's people...

Back