Storms ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALBin517

Reaction score
Anybody else think they might not make it in to work tomorrow?

Here in central Michigan, we are supposed to get a foot of snow overnight and about four more inches tomorrow, with winds gusting to 40 mph.

My grad class tonight has been moved online because of the forecast.

near Boston we're getting snow now with abreak overnight and then more tomorrow.

It might be a snow day tomorrow for us.

^My grad class in the Boston area is also off tonight, the 2nd time so far and it's only the 3rd week of the semester. As nice as it is to relax at home instead of going to class, I'm paying good money for these classes and they don't typically make them up.

I've already planned to work at home tomorrow, my boss made sure he had some things I didn't need to be in the office to do. We're supposed to get 18"-20" by the time the second wave of the storm passed through tomorrow, along with the potential for 1/4" of glazing at some point if it goes over to freezing rain.

They're calling for 18+ inches here overnight with wind gusts pushing 50mph. Some of the local schools have already declared a snow day for tomorrow.

for as friendly place as my company is about most stuff, they are super stingy when it comes to snow days. so far they haven't closed the office and Chicago is supposed to get hit pretty hard.

I am not even going to bother trying to come in and will just work from home, but I feel bad for some of the admins who are forced to come in or take a vacation day.

It rained last night and then froze this morning. So they closed schools around here and people are up in arms about how rough 25 degree weather is.

There's no ice on the streets in my town south of Waco. No snow. Just a bunch of kids home from school. Luckily, my wife's work (teaches at a community college) closed for the day, so she was able to stay home with the kids.

The electric utility I work for, unless Armageddon is happening, we're expected to be here.

Last edited by a moderator:
^My grad class in the Boston area is also off tonight, the 2nd time so far and it's only the 3rd week of the semester. As nice as it is to relax at home instead of going to class, I'm paying good money for these classes and they don't typically make them up.
I've already planned to work at home tomorrow, my boss made sure he had some things I didn't need to be in the office to do. We're supposed to get 18"-20" by the time the second wave of the storm passed through tomorrow, along with the potential for 1/4" of glazing at some point if it goes over to freezing rain.

Our prof asked us if we'd prefer postponing until Thursday night but not everybody could attend then. So it's going tonight as planned, online.

This prof does NOT simply cancel class.

The electric utility I work for, unless Armageddon is happening, we're expected to be here.

The big boss here will get the Fire Dept to pick him up in a 4x4 emergency vehicle and drive him to the office.

Then he will use the "well I managed to get here" card.

Quasi-snow day here. We only got 2" of snow, but we havent been over 15* since yesterday morning. Car said it was -2 when i went to get lunch, and it was -12 when i left for work. We're not supposed to break 0 until tomorrow sometime.

Schools are closed, but most everything else is business as usual (except the contractor where i work).

It rained last night and then froze this morning. So they closed schools around here and people are up in arms about how rough 25 degree weather is.
There's no ice on the streets in my town south of Waco. No snow. Just a bunch of kids home from school. Luckily, my wife's work (teaches at a community college) closed for the day, so she was able to stay home with the kids.

^There were a couple of times they set up cots for us at the nuclear plant to make sure they had enough "critical" personnel to keep the unit running. Same deal with them though, you were expected to show up regardless. The funny thing was that they had a center you were supposed to report in if you couldn't make it to the plant. Problem for me was that the plant was closer to me than the reporting location. I just engaged the 4WD and ground my way into work.

Louisville is right on the rain/ice border. We are just supposed to get a decent thunderstorm out of this. 100 miles north in Indianapolis, they are supposed to get about 1.5 inches of ice and 2 inches of snow.

The hospital my wife works for has a list of all employees whow have an available 4wd vehicle. If the weather turns to junk, the hospital calls these people to either come in to cover, to drive their personal vehicle as a shuttle, or both. If they have to shuttle anyone, the hospital will pay them both hourly and per mile.

Our prof asked us if we'd prefer postponing until Thursday night but not everybody could attend then. So it's going tonight as planned, online.

Yeah, that's why they rarely re-schedule things, everyone has another class or works late on Thursdays or can't find a babysitter on short notice, etc. I wonder if this guy will just tack another week onto the back end of the term. The midterm has already become a take home over spring break week due to the first cancellation.

The online idea is a good one.

The online idea is a good one.

The guy who suggested online drives from Grand Rapids, which is 70 miles from MSU. That guy suggests that everything should be online... especially in the winter.

Working at home today. Saturday it was 79 here, and now my whole back yard is waist deep in snow. We are snowed in here with this blizzard here in Tulsa. Schools will probably be out until at least Friday.

I told my boss that I might be in tomorrow but I'll almost certainly be late.

I'd leave my Camry in the garage and take my wife's 4x4 Tracker. It's not great in the snow (too light) but better than the Camry.

It all depends though. Local governments could declare "state of emergency" and close the roads.

MSU just canceled classes for tomorrow.

Calling for mid-50's on Wednesday. Meh, I could use a day off.

I have no idea how much snow we have here so far. There's a snow drift that's even with the eves on my detached garage. Ten feet away, the snow looks to be about 4 inches deep. The dog (60 pound collie that loves snow) jumped in one of the drifts in the back yard and I thought I was going to have to go out there and dig him out. Once he managed to extricate himself, he decided maybe he would just come back in and watch it snow from the kitchen window. Heard on the radio that the official tally at O'Hare is 17" with another 6 expected today.

My regular internet connection is also down. I'm using the backup (air card) for access right now. This one hit pretty hard.

The dog (60 pound collie that loves snow) jumped in one of the drifts in the back yard and I thought I was going to have to go out there and dig him out.
When I let my smaller Lab out this morning, she just suck right into it and started tunneling through the yard. All I saw was the occasional tip of her black tail contrasting against the white snow. Not that I think the big one would fare much better.

Back