Spouse Occupation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does your spouse / significant other do for a living?

• Stay at Home Mom / Dad

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Engineer

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Nurse

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • CPA

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Teacher

• Proffessor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medical Doctor

• administrative / clerical

• construction

• Real Estate

• Stripper

• Marketing / Consulting

• General Business

• other :D

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
I just read one of the first couple of Google Links which happened to be some sort of medical dictionary. Once I read "vaginal infection", I stopped pursuing the image.

From personal experience working years at an auto repair shop in the 'hood, priorities are as follows:

1. Buy a cheap, ancient Cadillac or GM full size. If all else fails a modern midsize will do.
  2. Buy gold plated wire wheels with spinners, valid wheels must weigh a minimum of 116 lbs each.
  3. Buy the biggest, loudest, most obnoxious car stereo.
  4. After all this is done, buy car insurance. May be postponed if you rent your wheels, buy one spinner at a time or the fall behind on your payments and the repo man takes them.

This is the 3rd or 4th time this thread has come to the top of the heap with no new post to show. The last post is today at 2:46 PM by MGX, but no new post by MGX is shown. WTF? :unsure:

This is the 3rd or 4th time this thread has come to the top of the heap with no new post to show. The last post is today at 2:46 PM by MGX, but no new post by MGX is shown. WTF? :unsure:
It gets bumped any time someone votes in the poll.

I'm gonna make the topic worthwhile then. Back to talking about TV's -- I bought a 42" Sony rear projection LCD about 4 years ago. Worked great for 18 months, then I had to replace the lamp which cost about $200. Then I read the owners manual that says you'll need to replace the lamp every 2-4 years depending on useage. (Had I known this, I would never have bought this TV, even on closeout!)

A few months ago, a blueish hue began to overtake the screen from the lower right hand corner, slowly migrating its way halfway across the screen. At first I think the lamp is just going bad, and I'll need to replace it soon. So I wait to see if it goes out completely. Weeks go by, nothing. Then the Superbowl comes up, and I'm freaking out because I was having friends over to watch the game and I didn't want to subject them to my half blue TV. So I Google the symptoms of my TV, and come to find out there are several class-action lawsuits pending against Sony for having "knowingly" manufactured these types of TV's with defective optical blocks.

I call up Sony, tell them my TV's problem and what I have read on the internet about the optical blocks, and ask what they are going to do to fix my 4 year old HDTV that should last a lot longer than 4 years. They tell me that Sony is not liable to fix my TV since its past its warranty period, and that replacing the optical block can cost $800-900. The only thing Sony was willing to do was SELL me another LCD TV (not rear projection thank god!), at a discount.

What a crock, right? Not only will they not stand by their product that failed to work properly after 4 years, their only solution is to sell me another one of their products? Like I have any faith that it will last longer than 4 years!

So, I'm thinking of taking them to small claims to recoup the cost of my TV. I've read of others doing this successfully in a few different states.

I don't have anything really meaningful to state here...just wanted to vent about my crappy Sony TV :)

I'm gonna make the topic worthwhile then. Back to talking about TV's -- I bought a 42" Sony rear projection LCD about 4 years ago. Worked great for 18 months, then I had to replace the lamp which cost about $200. Then I read the owners manual that says you'll need to replace the lamp every 2-4 years depending on useage. (Had I known this, I would never have bought this TV, even on closeout!)
A few months ago, a blueish hue began to overtake the screen from the lower right hand corner, slowly migrating its way halfway across the screen. At first I think the lamp is just going bad, and I'll need to replace it soon. So I wait to see if it goes out completely. Weeks go by, nothing. Then the Superbowl comes up, and I'm freaking out because I was having friends over to watch the game and I didn't want to subject them to my half blue TV. So I Google the symptoms of my TV, and come to find out there are several class-action lawsuits pending against Sony for having "knowingly" manufactured these types of TV's with defective optical blocks.

I call up Sony, tell them my TV's problem and what I have read on the internet about the optical blocks, and ask what they are going to do to fix my 4 year old HDTV that should last a lot longer than 4 years. They tell me that Sony is not liable to fix my TV since its past its warranty period, and that replacing the optical block can cost $800-900. The only thing Sony was willing to do was SELL me another LCD TV (not rear projection thank god!), at a discount.

What a crock, right? Not only will they not stand by their product that failed to work properly after 4 years, their only solution is to sell me another one of their products? Like I have any faith that it will last longer than 4 years!

So, I'm thinking of taking them to small claims to recoup the cost of my TV. I've read of others doing this successfully in a few different states.

I don't have anything really meaningful to state here...just wanted to vent about my crappy Sony TV :)

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have bought a Sony anyway because they're overpriced. I'm trying to help my grandmother navigate the purchase of a 42" LCD for her living room. She has a little 22" TV and it's about 20 feet away from the chair where she sits when she is watching TV so that's my next project

We have a 46" LCD from Panasonic (purchased at Sams Club). We really enjoy it and have not had any issues with it since we bought it for xmas 2008.

I'm still running a Toshiba 50" CRT rear projection set I bought in 2003. I calibrated it and went inside and disconnected the excessive sharpness circuits, and I still have not seen a flat-panel TV that outperforms it, IMHO. It's a fridge, but it gives movie-theater-quality images on Blu-ray. I know it will die one of these days, and then I will look at what's available - probably an LED backlit flatpanel. Hopefully not soon, though, because I couldn't afford a replacement at the present time...

Pioneer Elite Pro plasma for the win. Hands down, the best picture I have seen on anything ever.

Too bad they are no longer being made. $ for $, though, Samsung FTW. :p

Believe me, I have a Samsung in my living room, and while it's a great picture compared to most, that Pioneer is like looking out an open window. It's unreal. They can still be found though, but the price still reflects its abilities!

i spend money on flying, if I were laid off I would freeze to death. I hope thats not to crappy of a way to go.

My wife just went back to part time at work (1/2 salary, no benefits) so she could go back to school to get her PhD in clinical psychology. So our income was cut by about 25% and our expenses are WAY up (tuition, adding her to my health insurance, books). Plus the stress level is high right now because shes working in the morning, going to class in the afternoon and coming home to finish up work/school work in the evenings.

The real kicker though is that after taking a summer class shes about 80% sure she hates the program shes in and may quit after the spring semester.

Since the arrival of Mini-MS, the wifey-wife has been a stay-at-home mom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back