Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the towns away from base...some of the closer towns had mixed feelings about "base" guys and it was hard to overcome some of the sterotypes(even if some were true!)
Actually, I have come across this before. I think I liked Benning best because we lived on the outskirts... the commute sucked, and the county offices were far enough in Alabama that they followed central time rather than eastern which was annoying, but I did run into a few bitter people there that didn't seem to understand that with out the military being there... Columbus really didn't have all that much going for it.

valdosta was nice because it was a fairly small town/city, but it had the base and a college, which made for lots to do and still have the smaller feel. Well, that and most of the cool Florida spots were pretty close

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the towns away from base...some of the closer towns had mixed feelings about "base" guys and it was hard to overcome some of the sterotypes(even if some were true!)
Actually, I have come across this before. I think I liked Benning best because we lived on the outskirts... the commute sucked, and the county offices were far enough in Alabama that they followed central time rather than eastern which was annoying, but I did run into a few bitter people there that didn't seem to understand that with out the military being there... Columbus really didn't have all that much going for it.
It's not uncommon for the locals to have bad feelings towards the "hand that feeds". It's especially true in tourist towns here in CO. Most of these towns wouldn't have a reason to exist if the tourist trade didn't pump thousands of dollars into their economies, but that's not to mean we have to like Texans...

I live in an area that has a large tourist population...Our farm is between the Capital, Jeff City,and Lake of The Ozarks(about 40 miles apart) and we get tons of STL and KC folks in every weekend, used to be summer +/- a month or two, but now it's year round, anyway, I'm on the otherside of the sterotype thing now...don't mind the tourists, but some are rude as hell and act like f*cking @ssholes(not all, but some)...not to mention, it's a rich man's paradise, so some act like they own the world, when in reality they have a tiny 1/10th acre lot w a little cabin on it and maybe a boat, also, who needs a 50ft boat on a midwest lake??

HFS... extreme facepalm event this afternoon.

Long story short, I gathered quotes for Inconel mesh from four vendors that we need el pronto. Sent email to purchasing group with quotes attached and cost / delivery information for each in the email text to summarize. I cut a requisition for Company A (mainly due to the fact they're the only ones on the "approved vendor list") and had it included in the email for them to reference in order to create the PO. The purchasing person FORWARDED THE ENTIRE EMAIL CHAIN (with all other quotes) TO COMPANY A!!! YGBFKM!

I am planning on adding Company B to the list because their cost was MUCH cheaper, but it looks like this fustercluck will give Company A the know-how to beat out the competitions' prices.

:brick:

I lived in Valdosta from 92-95 after I got out of the Army went to Valdosta State for a few years, mainly cause this girl I was interested in went there... Looking back I enjoyed living there, it was close to the beach. I used to go out to Moody AFB to buy beer cause they generally didnt card if you were in uniform and I wasnt 21 yet.. My first year their was pretty weird, Valdosta is a suitcase college and everyone bailed on the weekends, literally the place was tumbleweeds after 12 on Friday.. I would either mope around with nothing to do or drive home to atlanta to see what was left of the high school gang, which got old also.. eventually moved to an apartment, started cooking burgers at the Ruby Tuesdays at the mall, made friends with the other kids who lived off campus and had jobs (those whose mommies and daddies were not footing the bill) and looking back on it those were probably 2 or 3 of the best years of my stinking life....

HFS... extreme facepalm event this afternoon.

Long story short, I gathered quotes for Inconel mesh from four vendors that we need el pronto. Sent email to purchasing group with quotes attached and cost / delivery information for each in the email text to summarize. I cut a requisition for Company A (mainly due to the fact they're the only ones on the "approved vendor list") and had it included in the email for them to reference in order to create the PO. The purchasing person FORWARDED THE ENTIRE EMAIL CHAIN (with all other quotes) TO COMPANY A!!! YGBFKM!

I am planning on adding Company B to the list because their cost was MUCH cheaper, but it looks like this fustercluck will give Company A the know-how to beat out the competitions' prices.

:brick:
That could be a good thing if Company A is on your AVL but "might" have came in more expensive. This could give them an incentive to stay competitive and create less hassle for your end with having to add/audit cheaper venders to your companies AVL. :p

Well, Company A doesn't typically deal with Inconel (mainly stainless and CS). Company B is knowledgeable in all materials and have been very helpful in this process.

I have lived in Columbus, GA and Auburn, AL (hence the avatar) for a combined 10 years. The time zone difference is quite annoying (2 hours to get from Auburn to Columbus, but zero time to get back). Ft. Benning is awesome, and if you never leave the base it's not a bad place. Columbus is worse than other base towns as it seems like the base guys and the local guys tend to fight over the same low-class women. I've heard similar about WR. Valdosta is the least bad of the three but mainly because it is indeed close to Florida, beaches, etc.

Popped the bellcrank shaft on my plow truck last night while plowing. Was doing a cleanup run after the freezing rain we had and in preparation for the 2-4" of wet heavy crap we're supposed to get in the next 48 hours. I was able to get the large berms / piles in the yard moved prior to the issue arriving, so at least I won't have piles of ice to deal with later. Current temps at the house are in the mid 30's to low 40's (unseasonably warm).

Was trying to finish a cleanup run around the yard / road when the clutch went to the floor and had no response. Thankfully I was near the house and rolled it back into the yard before shutting it down. Now I've gotta hope that the local junk yard will let me get into the back lot (limited due to winter insurance issues) to find the parts I need. They only have two Scouts out back and I'm hoping one of them has the part that I need to rebuild my Scout.

The only other good note was that I was able to warn the neighbors to get onto another plow company roster until I know I've got the parts in hand and have had a chance to rebuild it.

This is the third thing to break recently; and this is all I can say: "MURPHY - LEAVE ME THE **($ ALONE!!!"

I agree with CDC; I've seen some new features being added (like a warning level). I got rid of Firefox since it was really screwing up and crashing every 5 minutes; been running Chrome for the time being (Opera wasn't working for me at all)

Back