Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had any bad dealings with Hunter yet. I've installed three of them (the basic $99, 52-inch specials from Lowe's) over the past three years and haven't had any "real" problems. The only one that isn't solid is the one in our room. There is the faintest whirr - whirr - whirr sound that comes from it occasionally. No big deal. For $99, it's done a darn good job.

Got married at 25 after dating for about a year; 5 years and two kids later still going strong. Our plan is to have the kids out of the house by the time I am 50 :)

Scotch rammen ... never heard of it before this thread, but will be trying it very shortly out of pure curiosity.

I love Hunter Fans ... no joking, I have one in every bed room and one in the family room. Never had a problem in the six years we have had them. Got them on a great black Friday sale at Lowes.

Damn you people singing the praises of Hunter fans. They suck, just agree with me. HELP ME FEEL JUSTIFIED IN MY RAGE AT HUNTER FANS!
I have 4 ceiling fans. I can never remember which ones are Hunter and which are Hampdon Bay. No problems with any of them (including a couple which we've had for just under 10 years, and have been installed/removed/reinstalled each time we've moved).

Well obviously the problem is the "convenient" remote feature. It turns the $150 fan into a freaking paper weight. I will never buy a remote fan. I didn't buy this one, it came with the house and now I'm stuck with the damn thing.

Yeah, I think you should be raging about remote ceiling fans in general. I'm actually surprised that they don't have problems with exploding capacitors. You aren't supposed to install CFL bulbs in ceiling fans because the vibration induces a voltage in the capacitors. Eventually, the induced voltage exceeds the rating of the cap, and KA-BLAMMO! I've seen a few exploded CFL capacitors in the lab.

Yeah, I think you should be raging about remote ceiling fans in general. I'm actually surprised that they don't have problems with exploding capacitors. You aren't supposed to install CFL bulbs in ceiling fans because the vibration induces a voltage in the capacitors. Eventually, the induced voltage exceeds the rating of the cap, and KA-BLAMMO! I've seen a few exploded CFL capacitors in the lab.
Is there an easy way to diagnose the exploded capacitor? None of them have any signs of apparent damage.

My newest ceiling fan (Hampton Bay) came with a remote but I didn't install it. The new house is wired with dual switches for ceiling fans in every room (one switch for the fan, one for the light). When I installed it, I just bought a fan-rated dimmer switch for the fan to control the speed and just use the standard wall switch for the light.

The hubby got me a Big Johnson... we move each time...
Interesting... :huh:

sj8011a.jpg

Is there an easy way to diagnose the exploded capacitor? None of them have any signs of apparent damage.
It's pretty obvious. The cardboard spacer sheets are all over the place, the metal housing is split, and there are usually burned things nearby.
I didn't see anything like that in the the receiver module when I took it apart but these are ceramic disc type capacitors, not electrolytic.

^^^I'm guessing they meant the nascar driver. Not sure they made ceiling fans for a coach. How bout dem cowboys!

Did you know that there are only two sports in Texas? Football, and Spring Football...

Let the scrimmaging begin.

That was supposed to be a random thought, though...

Worth screaming about, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back