Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7.5% of adjusted gross on last year's taxes...I'll tell you this year's after tomorrow when I finalize everything. It will be close. Because I live in the great state of Texas with no income tax, I am also fortunate enough to pay astronomical property taxes...about $12K this year...that means an extra $1000 to our housing expense every month...
HOLY CRAP! I don't pay that much for my mortgage + taxes + insurance!

Heck, I don't pay that for state income taxes + property taxes + local income taxes + state sales tax!

Last edited by a moderator:
We paid 15.35% to the feds, plus SS and Medicare. But we don't have state income tax in TN and our property taxes are only around $1600. Dual income, no kids.

We paid 15.35% to the feds, plus SS and Medicare. But we don't have state income tax in TN and our property taxes are only around $1600. Dual income, no kids.
I've been trying to sell the wife on a move to TN for a couple of years now.

Getting just over $1k back from the Fed and owe state roughly $350.

Do you think I can write off childcare we pay as a donation to the church? Publication #526 says it's not a charitable donation b/c we recieve more value for it than it costs. Perhaps it's still considered childcare, but the church has no EIN or anything.

F'in taxes!

Getting just over $1k back from the Fed and owe state roughly $350.

Do you think I can write off childcare we pay as a donation to the church? Publication #526 says it's not a charitable donation b/c we recieve more value for it than it costs. Perhaps it's still considered childcare, but the church has no EIN or anything.

F'in taxes!
You could write it off by providing the SS# of the person watching your children. Daycare costs do not have to be paid to a company/group for them to be deductible...

our property taxes are just under $3k, but they would be closer to $4k if we lived in town....living in unincorporated area we don't get nailed with the city part of the property taxes.

in il we pay sales tax on cars when bought then a yearly license plate fee of $99.

5% state income tax

6.25 or 6.5% state sales tax plus city/county tax so usually 7 to 10% sales tax depending on where you live.

In order for her to provide a legal daycare center, she has to provide that information.

I would definitely fight to get it, especially since the daycare expenses are a CREDIT and not a DEDUCTION. It's straight cash back into your pocket.

I've been trying to sell the wife on a move to TN for a couple of years now.
I'm not going to say its the greatest place on earth or anything, but our local taxes are very reasonable. Just don't expect the state/county to provide a lot of services for you.
I grew up in the middle of nowhere. I'm perfectly fine with minimal to non-existent services.

seriously just throwing a non smoking sign on the outside of the hotel room door does NOT make it a non smoking room. You need to replace furniture and repaint/rewallpaper to get the stink out to truely call it non smoking.

They upgraded my room last night to a jacuzzi tub room...it was nonsmoking but the second i walked in I could smell the residue....it previously was a smoking room. I didn't complain though because they had a door that opened the tub area to the rest of the room so you caould watch tv while soaking. I am starting to pay for it now though...the offgasing residue has left me with a headache.

In order for her to provide a legal daycare center, she has to provide that information.

I would definitely fight to get it, especially since the daycare expenses are a CREDIT and not a DEDUCTION. It's straight cash back into your pocket.
The childcare credit is only worth 20% of the amount though. Not alot for this.

Thx

Back