Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be e-filing later this week (just need to check over some stuff), but I'll be getting back around $5200 from Uncle Sam (well, $400 of it from the state) thanks to buying a house last April. First time I've EVER made out by itemizing, rather than standard deduction. Even with the standard deduction, it would have been about $3k back just from the withholdings after filing Single 1. In all honesty, I'm just thrilled not to owe after being mercilessly reamed two years ago due to an HR mistake.

Because I seemingly make fatty money, Uncle Sam sent me a bill for ~$3100 this year. The joys of claiming 0...

I won't tell you all how much we are getting back because than you will all hate me... but I am a happy girl.
The amount of refund is irrelevant, that's just dependent on how much you had withheld. The real question is the amount paid, in percentage of gross income.

I won't tell you all how much we are getting back because than you will all hate me... but I am a happy girl.
The amount of refund is irrelevant, that's just dependent on how much you had withheld. The real question is the amount paid, in percentage of gross income.
Well I can say 0% state taxes, and I suppose you want that percentage over the entire income (not just the taxable part), so we dished out a little less than 7% that they kept. Rolled over losses again for next year.

Almost 21% :(
I sent 16% to the feds alone, plus the standard 4.2% for SS and 1.45% for Medicare. Not exactly sure how much more we paid for state, but it was close to 4%. All said and done we paid close to 26%...

It should go down this next year once we get a year's worth of mortgage interest to itemize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost 21% :(
I sent 16% to the feds alone. Not sure how much more we paid for state & SS/medicare. It should go down this next year once we get a year's worth of mortgage interest to itemize.
Mine was 21% with 8 months mortgage interest!

7.5% of adjusted gross on last year's taxes...I'll tell you this year's after tomorrow when I finalize everything. It will be close.

Because I live in the great state of Texas with no income tax, I am also fortunate enough to pay astronomical property taxes...about $12K this year...that means an extra $1000 to our housing expense every month...

Back