Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I'm in the maintenance group and work with a sh*t ton of turbines. I'm moving into a reliability role and will no longer be fire fighting daily or emergency issues. I sent out a notification to my work groups weeks ago, but the God forsaken planning group still calls me.
"No, MF, I told you to contact the new guy instead of me for repairs. Call him. If he can't answer it, HE will come to ME."

I wish I would have actually had the nuts to drop in the "MF". This d-bag deserves it... can't plan his way out of his chair...

I'm sick of turbines, turbine nozzles, and CRV's.

After seeing an unknown number of gas turbine majors, we're doing my first steam turbine major. When that's done, I'll officially be sick of turbines.

you missed danny's meeting at 1...you've got like 15 actions items now...
Seeing as how I was never invited to this meeting, I love how I am now the target for action items. @#($*&@#()*&$@!!!

The check engine light came on in my wifes car yesterday so we dropped it off at the mechanics last night.
Wow, with punctuation like that, you might need to stop by a superior engineering board for some help with things, and maybe some stormwater mgmt while you're at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got passed over for a promotion (just one payscale up) that I heavily campaigned for with my boss. I got passed over not because I met all of the outlined requirements to move up a payscale. It's not because the role I'm moving into was posted at two payscales higher than my current level. It's because the powers that be say I "haven't spent enough time in my current payscale". :censored:

:blowup:

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Sometimes I think the old tv shows had it right when the parents each had their own bed. I personally like our current bed, but mr snick hasn't been getting a good night sleep for awhile. our mattress is about 8 yrs old, it was supposed to be good for 10. Mr snick has been hinted at wanting the new bed to be one of those memory foam temporpedic things...I hate soft beds so as a compromise while we were at Sam's this weekend bought a 2.5 in temporpedic mattress topper to try it out. At the store I told him I wasn't going to like it and asked if he was prepared to spend the couple hundred $ on an experiment that was going to end up with us cutting the thing in half...I was right. Last night was the first night sleeping on it. I woke up in the middle of the night with back pain and went to sleep in the guest room for the rest of the night...mr snick had probably one of the better nights sleep he has had in a long time.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Sometimes I think the old tv shows had it right when the parents each had their own bed. I personally like our current bed, but mr snick hasn't been getting a good night sleep for awhile. our mattress is about 8 yrs old, it was supposed to be good for 10. Mr snick has been hinted at wanting the new bed to be one of those memory foam temporpedic things...I hate soft beds so as a compromise while we were at Sam's this weekend bought a 2.5 in temporpedic mattress topper to try it out. At the store I told him I wasn't going to like it and asked if he was prepared to spend the couple hundred $ on an experiment that was going to end up with us cutting the thing in half...I was right. Last night was the first night sleeping on it. I woke up in the middle of the night with back pain and went to sleep in the guest room for the rest of the night...mr snick had probably one of the better nights sleep he has had in a long time.
Is it time for a sleep number bed?

Is it time for a sleep number bed?
I've slept on those at hotels...everytime both sides were set to the same number and by the time I woke up in the morning half the bed had deflated...so nope it will never be time for a sleep number bed.

I also recommend to people who mention they are looking into sleep numbers to spend a night at hotel that has them before investing the $$$. You either love them or hate them. The $80 hotel is cheaper than the couple grand the bed costs.

I bought the wife a new bed for Christmas. Our old one was about 10 years old, it was a rather expensive Serta pillowtop, and both pillows (top and bottom) had become so body-imprinted (yet we did flip the bed) that it sagged badly. I actually cut the pillows off of it and we put a topper on. It helped some, but not a lot.

I guess I'm picky. I don't like foam because it retains heat, and the foam beds I've slept on have been strangely lumpy. I don't like Sleep Number because it's expensive. I don't like pillow tops because of the aforementioned foam-sag problem. So we ended up with a regular top, extra firm mattress. I like it, but wifey didn't. She bought a topper... twin size... so now our king sized bed has a bit of a slope, but we're both happy. Ha.

I think next time, we'll end up with 2 twin beds and I'll just duct tape 'em together. Heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Sleep Number beds are horrendous. Too soft even maxed out, and it doesn't "contour" to your body in any way. All id does by "firming" is stick your ass higher in the air. That hotel stay was one of the worst ever.

The Serta I have now is firm, but I REALLY prefer extra firm, so much that I'm ready to go sleep in the spare bedroom on my old twin mattress to help my back. They didn't make the Serta in an XF, and the next bump up in firmness was over $2k difference. WTF?

We had been sleeping on a dirt cheap, shitty full size bed my wife got in grad school. It was supposed to be good for about 5 years, although it was never that good to start with.

We got a Stearns and Foster queen size bed a year ago, in a memory foam pillowtop style. So the pillowtop is memory foam, and the mattress has both foam and springs in it.

I immediately began sleeping much better and my stiff neck went away. It does hold in the heat though, which is great now but less fun in warmer weather.

It's weird to hear all the negative feedback in regards to the Sleep Number bed. My aunt and uncle swear by the thing. I thought about it, but I can't see myself paying that much money for a bed.

The weird thing about this whole matress conversation is that my parents have a number of matresses well over 45 years old, and they all sleep fine...no depressions, no lumps, not tatty. We have a matress that is 10 years old and don't have issues with them. Another one is one of the almost 50 yo ones from my grandma's old bed, and it sleeps well and is in good condition as well.

Are matresses really that poorly built nowadays?

The weird thing about this whole matress conversation is that my parents have a number of matresses well over 45 years old, and they all sleep fine...no depressions, no lumps, not tatty. We have a matress that is 10 years old and don't have issues with them. Another one is one of the almost 50 yo ones from my grandma's old bed, and it sleeps well and is in good condition as well.
"Back in my day..." :eek:ldman:

"Back in my day..." :eek:ldman:
Yeah, yeah; I know.

But I do wonder what the deal is with the matresses. Are they really that much worse than they used to be, or are we, as a people, more picky than we used to be?

when we first got married we got a waterbed. Oh so trendy back then. I wasn't a fan but it worked out ok and we kept it for at least 5 years until we moved into our first house. I like a real firm mattress and we got a good one that beeen great ever since. I hate going to hotels or staying where they have a soft mattress.

Is anyone else getting the Ashley Furniture mattress sale banner ad at the bottom of the screen?

I like something in the middle. My bed growing up was real squishy, and I remember going to my grandma's house and her beds were so hard they left bruises.

I kinda like my pillowtop over a pretty firm mattress.

I hate going to hotels or staying where they have a soft mattress.
My dad had a pretty good theory about beds at hotels, other people's houses, etc. His rule was never judge a bed until your second night sleeping on it. The idea was that you've just been flying/driving somewhere all day and you are so tired you could sleep on anything the first night. The second night, after you've been relazing on vacation for the day, was a better test of it.

I feel as if I have been lied to my entire life...

I had always thought that I was a Pices only to find out that new research has shown that I am an aquarius.

I don't want to be an aquarius...

i think this will be one of those things that from here forward use the new signs because you were technically born under those signs. So there will be a generation or two with dual signs.

Back