Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The voice of caution here: it's probably just a mistake on the form. The inspectors are probably correct: the law (or regulation) exists. The form might just reference the pre-codified version of the law, or might contain a typo, or whatever. Take it from experience: neither of those (or any similar) excuses will shield you from the law. They'll nail you anyway, and probably add on a penalty for failing to respond in time.
Agreed. I just didn't think that it was too much to ask for a correct letter.

The voice of caution here: it's probably just a mistake on the form. The inspectors are probably correct: the law (or regulation) exists. The form might just reference the pre-codified version of the law, or might contain a typo, or whatever. Take it from experience: neither of those (or any similar) excuses will shield you from the law. They'll nail you anyway, and probably add on a penalty for failing to respond in time.
Agreed. I just didn't think that it was too much to ask for a correct letter.
It's not. Just contact the legal department and ask them for a clarification and/or a correction of the letter and take it from there. That's what the process is about and people, including the DEP, do make mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know the law that you broke and have a plan to remedy the situation? If so, fix it, THEN point out the error. If not, then how do you propose to fix a problem if you don't know what the problem is?

Are you saying that the local soil/water conservation district (aka the ag people) are reviewing NPDES permits in your area? That's a new one for me.

On the other hand, it's not unusual at all to have non-licensed engineers reviewing plans and calculations. Most state and local governments just don't pay enough (and can't) to get a PE for that kind of work. You would hope, however, that the reviewers are supervised by a PE. But in local government offices, politics often trumps common sense, and "some one else" is often overseeing the work of the reviewers and inspectors, while the PE either has no authority to supervise, or isn't even there at all.

Are you saying that the local soil/water conservation district (aka the ag people) are reviewing NPDES permits in your area? That's a new one for me.
On the other hand, it's not unusual at all to have non-licensed engineers reviewing plans and calculations. Most state and local governments just don't pay enough (and can't) to get a PE for that kind of work. You would hope, however, that the reviewers are supervised by a PE. But in local government offices, politics often trumps common sense, and "some one else" is often overseeing the work of the reviewers and inspectors, while the PE either has no authority to supervise, or isn't even there at all.
Yes. The local conservation district has a deligation agreement with the DEP.

For land development purposes, only individual permits are kicked up to the regional DEP office.

In PA and Jersey, in my experience, all reviews on the local level are signed off by a PE (whether in house or subbed out as an agent for the Township), with the exception of the DEP and PennDOT.

I am OK with the transportation signoffs b/c the majority of the regulations have been around forever, so very little interpretation is required. But even PennDOT will sub out their stormwater reviews to a PE.

Yes. The local conservation district has a deligation agreement with the DEP.

For land development purposes, only individual permits are kicked up to the regional DEP office.

In PA and Jersey, in my experience, all reviews on the local level are signed off by a PE (whether in house or subbed out as an agent for the Township), with the exception of the DEP and PennDOT.

I am OK with the transportation signoffs b/c the majority of the regulations have been around forever, so very little interpretation is required. But even PennDOT will sub out their stormwater reviews to a PE.
Wow! I'd probably be uncomfortable with ag people reviewing my construction stormwater plans. Those guys have a very different mindset.

aaarrrggghhhh...my sister got minisnick step 2's version of the cosy coupe for his birthday and I opened it yesterday to put it together for his birthday Friday. 3 thin tires 1 fat tire and missing several bits of hardware...so much for the inspected by sticker on the outside of the box, which was factory sealed.

at least step 2 was very helpful this morning and sent it out today and will be here before his birthday!!!

:brickwall: just got the instructions for our workstation migration to microsoft active directory...the point was supposed to get rid of having to enter different passwords, one for email, one for logging in the morning, one for internet.

Now we will only have one password to remember but will have to enter after every time we let our computer idle for 15 minutes...and they are also locking down the screen savers to a preset option. I dunno about the others i work with but when I'm reviewing a document sometimes it takes longer than 15 mins btwn typing. Thats going to get very annoying very quickly.

:brickwall: just got the instructions for our workstation migration to microsoft active directory...the point was supposed to get rid of having to enter different passwords, one for email, one for logging in the morning, one for internet.
Now we will only have one password to remember but will have to enter after every time we let our computer idle for 15 minutes...and they are also locking down the screen savers to a preset option. I dunno about the others i work with but when I'm reviewing a document sometimes it takes longer than 15 mins btwn typing. Thats going to get very annoying very quickly.
Our computers do that, I don't find it that annoying. You just have to remember to bump the mouse occasionally to prevent the computer from locking.

I'm not very patient when it comes to computers. That was the default setting when I got my new work computer and it bugged the heck out of me until I figured out how to change it. If the password window would come up automatically i might be able to get used it, but according to the paperwork it is going to require a ctrl+Alt+del to get the window up to enter the password.

Would you excuse me if I curse?

[SIZE=36pt]DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR[/SIZE]

RRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IT

Thanks. It is good to know it will be forgiven.

Back