Some Good Fiction Books

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mr snick put the audio book of first book of the Wheel of Time series on my sandisk player.  Overall it was a good story, but one of the main characters is such a sniveling, annoying character it has really made me not to want to read or listen to the rest of the books.  I looked up the plot to the next book and he is still a major player, blah

reading is for fags.

Last edited by a moderator:
mr snick put the audio book of first book of the Wheel of Time series on my sandisk player.  Overall it was a good story, but one of the main characters is such a sniveling, annoying character it has really made me not to want to read or listen to the rest of the books.  I looked up the plot to the next book and he is still a major player, blah
WoT is a bit hard to get into for a lot of folks.  I have a friend who's a HUGE fantasy fan and he has struggled to get through half the series (if that).  He finds Jordan's style of writing a bit too informative.  I loved the entire series and highly recommend it.

WoT is a bit hard to get into for a lot of folks.  I have a friend who's a HUGE fantasy fan and he has struggled to get through half the series (if that).  He finds Jordan's style of writing a bit too informative.  I loved the entire series and highly recommend it.
I can't stand Mat!!!!  

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett was really good. It's a novel spanning several generations so it's rather thick. But I really enjoyed the architectural history and structural discussions about the cathedral builders.

just started listening to the GOT on audio book.  good golly there are a lot of characters
I finally finished reading through the first book.  Took me nearly a year, since I only read it on airplanes when I couldn't sleep.  It was hard to keep track of, even after having seen the show.

Re-reading The Hobbit since there was a TV marathon of the movies...
I just read all three LOTR books, but skipped the Hobbit since I've read it more times than the others.

As for science-y type stuff that engineers might like: a friend of mine wrote The God Particle.  I have been meaning to, but I hear it's decent.

I just finished Split Second by Douglas Richards. Its a fiction drama adventure about a scientist who discovers time travel and is then kidnapped by powerful shady people and the race to figure out who took him and why. It was a quick read and i really liked it. Especially the discussions on time travel which are a different way of looking at it. Also its available on amazon prime for kindle

Moving what I said over in the thread I mistakenly created not having found this one before. Please note that my other thread, entitled "Whatcha Reading?", shall now be devoted to bringing the :bananapowerslide: emoticon back.

I'm really trying to get back into reading (I fell into a multi-year period where I wasn't really reading any books, just blogs, newspapers, and online news) as of late.

I joined a new book club a few months ago, and right now, we're reading Murder on the Orient Express. I don't think I'd ever really read any Agatha Christy novels before, though I remember my brother reading them when I was a kid. I'm a little surprised to say that I am really enjoying it! That book gave me goosebumps as I was reading it last night.

My favorite book is probably a tie between The Secret History by Donna Tartt and The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. The latter was a book I chose for summer reading in high school, and I still really like it. I haven't reread it in a while, though perhaps I should soon.

Not sure I've read a book that I liked more than Cat's Cradle when I first read it in high school.

My favorite book is probably a tie between The Secret History by Donna Tartt and The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. The latter was a book I chose for summer reading in high school, and I still really like it. I haven't reread it in a while, though perhaps I should soon.
Oh, I really liked Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.  I'll have to try The Secret History.

Oh, I really liked Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.  I'll have to try The Secret History.
Interesting! I didn't like Goldfinch nearly as much as I liked The Secret History. I thought Goldfinch was much slower in pace, whereas The Secret History was a page-turner for me. Definitely check it out!

Back