Some Good Fiction Books

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "tame" sci-fi writer that hasn't been mentioned that I really enjoy is Dean Koontz. His books are are close enough to reality, it's hard for the conspiracist in me not to believe there is some truth in it.
biggrin.gif

Ah, I love a good Guest_Dexman post

I dont read a lot of Sci-Fi

But I do read all the Star Wars "trash" novels

I just read Kenobi (about his early life on Tattoine,watching over a baby luke)

the story reads like a western so its pretty cool......(to me anyways)

I need somethign for my flight next week so I will look through the list you guys and gals have provided..

do all of dean koontz books go from the climax to the end of the book in last 25 pages?

I finished his book Breathless last night and I was down to last 25-30 pages and I was like there is no way he can finish this up. So abruptly the story ended like he ran out ideas at the end of the book. so stupid of an ending. If all his books are like that I dunno if I want to read another.

halfway through another dean koontz...i would say he is an ok writer. i can put the books down so he isn't a great author in my opinion.

Dean Koontz's prime novels were in the late eighties, early nineties. His early stuff is crap and his later stuff falls into the 'I could publish my laundry list and folks would buy it' category.

I'm rereading Stephen King's Hearts in Atlantis. It is just as good as I remember it.

bumping to get some new ideas.  I'm tired of just grabbing a book off the shelf at the library and hoping for a good read

I have been infatuated (well really interested) with the story behind the movie "A River Runs through it" for a long time. (ever since it came out as  movie) so I was watching the movie a few weekends ago during a snow storm and started looking into the actual story since its based on true events, So I got the book a few weeks ago and am trudging along through it.  

Since Robert Redford directed the movie its similar to how the movie ruined the book "A Walk in the Woods"  So far the book is really good (not fiction)  but I think from other research I did on the story its not "true life" as the Brad Pitt Character was actually killed in Chicago, not Montana.

Anyway if you like that stuff the book thus far has been good.. & yeah btw I am headed to North CO to catch some trout this weekend :D

I'm not a big reader, but aside from those mentioned, I really liked the Hunger Games series and the Ender's game series.  My wife just got me the Maze Runner series too, so I have to find time to read those.

last books i've read were The Cossacks & War and Peace by Tolstoy. Epic, both stories. I gotta read Ana Karenina sometime too.

some other books I've gotten sucked into were by Jacqueline Carey - the Kushiel's Legacy, comprising a 6 book series - and the 2 book series Godslayer & Banewreaker - pretty good fantasy / scifi reads. I don't read a whole bunch, but when i do, its not typically a minor diversion (probably why i don't read much)
I'll have to see if jacqueline carey is on amazon/kindle.  that looks like my sort of read, but our library doesn't have a single book by her.

Hi all,

I feel that we as engineers should probably have some similar tastes in what we like to read. I figured this could be a good outlet to compile some good books to throw open when we're not working our bums off. I've tried my best to categorize what i read so that everyone can use the appropriate category. If you'd like to either comment on what i have here or add more books yourself this can get fun.

But i must warn you that i have a high tendency to buy books so if you put a bad read on here and I buy it I will hunt you down. That said,

Bring on the books:

• The Devil in the White City (murder juxtaposed to architecture)
  •  
Not usually a nonfiction sort of person, but this was a good read.  A little slow but really cool to learn about areas I know and didn't know such things happened or reasons behind the names.  Heck even two of our projects at work are in the same areas in that book.      

The Devil in the White City was definitely a good read.  If you liked that you may also like "The Alienist" and "The Angel of Darkness."

I'll have to see if jacqueline carey is on amazon/kindle.  that looks like my sort of read, but our library doesn't have a single book by her.
Did you check their digital library?  I know some libraries have ebooks you can borrow too.

Back