Signs of The End

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a pretty skeptical person, and I know there is a logical explanation for this. But I have to admit that thousands of birds just falling dead from the sky is a pretty striking (and disturbing) image, and wild speculation is always fun, in its own way.

From the NY Times:

[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]
4,000 Dead Blackbirds Drop From the Sky

By CAMPBELL ROBERTSON

Published: January 3, 2011

04beebe2_337-395-popup.jpg

Times Square had the ball drop, and Brasstown, N.C., had its descending possum. But no place had a New Year’s Eve as unusual — and downright disturbing — as Beebe, Ark.

About 10 p.m. Friday, thousands of red-winged blackbirds began falling out of the sky over this town about 35 miles northeast of Little Rock. They landed on roofs, roads, front lawns and backyards, turning the ground nearly black and scaring anyone who happened to be outside.

“One of them almost hit my best friend in the head,” said Christy Stephens, who was standing outside among the smoking crowd at a New Year’s Eve party. “We went inside after that.”

The cause is still being determined, said Keith Stephens, a spokesman for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. Of the more than 4,000 birds that fell on Beebe, 65 samples have been sent to labs, one in Arkansas, the other in Wisconsin. Some results may be available as soon as Monday, Mr. Stephens said.

For now, state officials are speculating that the birds may have died as a result of stress, startled by fireworks in the area, or perhaps by lightning. But, Mr. Stephens acknowledged that the cause may never be known.

It is, he said, the biggest case like this that he is aware of.

“About 19 years ago, we had some ducks,” he said, “but that was only a couple of dozen.”

The town contacted an environmental cleanup firm, which by Monday afternoon had picked up nearly all of the bird carcasses, some of which had been bagged and left by residents at the end of driveways. A few calls were still coming in, said Tracy Lightfoot, who sits on the City Council, but that was no surprise given how many birds had dropped out of the sky.

“It just looked as if it had rained birds,” he said, declining to speculate on the reason. “There’s lots of theories running around. I have no idea. I just don’t have a clue.”

One thing is almost certain: the bird drop is not related to the 83,000 fish that died a few days earlier in the western part of the state, the biggest fish kill in Arkansas that anyone can remember. They were spotted by anglers last week and reported to the Game and Fish Commission, which spent New Year’s Eve measuring and counting dead fish that had spread out for nearly 20 miles.

In that case, the victims were almost all drum, and almost all younger ones. That suggests the culprit was disease, said Mark Oliver, the commission’s chief of fisheries. He said that fish kills were not uncommon, especially in winter when fish are packed more closely, but he did not recall one of this size.

State officials have sent samples of dying, but not yet dead, fish to the fish disease lab at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, which could take a couple of weeks to reach conclusions.

The likelihood of a connection between dead fish in a river on one side of the state and dead birds from the sky in another is pretty much nil (nor is there any connection between these events and the yearlong swarm of mini-earthquakes in the center of the state).

But it is all rather odd.

Becky Short, who also sits on the City Council, said that in addition to the controversial fireworks theory, people have already begun joking about the biblical end times and U.F.O.’s.

Her conclusion was simpler.

“Looks like some sort of phenomenon happened,” she said.

04beebe_337-395-popup.jpg
As much as I hate to say it...its totally NORMAL.

We live in the age of instant information. Things we NEVER knew about, we now know about.

There are five year olds foraging for garbage to keep themselves warm in Afganistan. I kinda knew that the world was in shambles, but that my friend...really had me thinking that the world is close to the end.

But nope...that's also been happening forever. Sadly.

And now its all reported on CNN.com.

Google Maps listing of mass animal deaths. From around the world. I haven't looked at it closely enough to know whether these are recent, or historic - the CNN article that linked to this made it sound as if it was all recent mass deaths (it also went on to say there is no need to worry, it just seems like these are things that happen all the time, but people are just suddenly noticing them)

Edit - most of them are fish kills, which anyone experienced in water quality issues will know are not uncommon. Fish are surprisingly fragile and susceptible to low oxygen levels, which can be caused by any number of man-made and natural occurrences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you say that this is a sign of the Aflockalypse or is it just a cause of these birds meeting a fowl end? :mf_bounce8:

JR

I just had 4 big busses drive by my office with "The end is near" painted all over them. I think they were advertising some radio station. the date is May 21st THIS year...not next. Many people forget that 7000 years from the flood goes from AD to BC and there's no ZERO year, so 2012 isn't correct, it's 2011.

Would you say that this is a sign of the Aflockalypse or is it just a cause of these birds meeting a fowl end? :mf_bounce8:
JR
:appl: I miss you around here JR, and your smileys!

There was an article about the Magnetic North Pole shifting enough to cause some airports in Florida to reset their location. In that article, it referenced that shifts in the magnetic north can cause some wildlife impacts...

Think these birds were flying and did a JFK Jr into the ground?

Back