Sick of 15mpg

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
With the start of school, the wife is driving quite a bit more. We are now paying around $90 a week just to get her around town in the Armada. We are both sick to death of this and are now in the market for a used SUV that gets awesome gas mileage, holds 7 and won't break the bank. We have just about settled on a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Its just a smiggen smaller than the Armada and is supposed to get 28-30mpg.

Does anybody have one of these or have any thoughts?

Revised-Nissan-Leaf-S-Japanese-Spec-Dark-metal-gray1.jpg

Given what those Highlanders weigh, I'd be stunned if it got 30 mpg without unicorn dust being sprinkled in the tank.

I would also really wonder about anything that carries 5-7 people that would get more than mid 20's and have any kind of powers when you need it..

I've got a family of 5 and I think I just have to assume that one vehicle is gonna get shitty gas mileage...

We have a Traverse and average about 20-22mpg with it. I don't drive it much buy I know that out of the 350 miles per tank prob about 200 is highway and the other 150 is stop/go commute. It won't wow you with performance but its strong enough that it doesn't feel underpowered and I fit 20 bags of mulch in the back last week with the back row down.

i get 21-22 mpg with my pilot. 90% highway. but the 10% in town is a lot of stop and go the closer i get to all highway i get 24 or so.

All highway miles. We live in the middle of nowhere. We are looking at the hybrid model. Customer reviews claim mpg in the upper 20's. Over 200hp supposedly. This will be the workhorse of the family. It has to carry up to 7 people, at times, and pull a trailer, at times. A leaf wont pull a trailer and I refuse to drive a minivan.

We own a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid that's still averaging 30 mpg.

How often are you carrying 7 people? Are they not able to go in two cars? I ask because having one giant vehicle for "just in case" can burn a lot of money.

7 people plus a trailer and you want 20+ miles per gallon. Tall order.

I vote a suburban with a 40 gallon gas tank

The pilot fits 8 people can pull a trailer and the 4wheel drive V6 version gets 21-22 MPG. you drop to 2 wheel drive and the mileage goes up some.

does a hybrid have enough power to pull a trailer?

Yes. It's a dual engine system- gas powered four cylinder along with the electric motor. When you really need to get going, the vehicle uses both at the same time.
that would explain why most regular car haulers/tralier folks have the GMC 2500/Ford F250/Dodge 2500 RAMS crew cabs with the dual wheels and turbodiesels

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes. It's a dual engine system- gas powered four cylinder along with the electric motor. When you really need to get going, the vehicle uses both at the same time.
that would explain why most regular car haulers/tralier folks have the GMC 2500/Ford F250/Dodge 2500 RAMS crew cabs with the dual wheels and turbodiesels

Hey, she asked if it had enough power to pull a trailer. She didn't ask what the best vehicle for it was and he didn't say how big the trailer is that he's using.

Hey, she asked if it had enough power to pull a trailer. She didn't ask what the best vehicle for it was and he didn't say how big the trailer is that he's using.
If pulling a trailer is the primary purpose I think you'd want one of these, no?

1995-Peterbilt-379EXHD-702406.jpg

Back