Sick of 15mpg

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
East down and bound..... We gonna do what they say can't be done

The Pilot is sharp and gets better than my destroyer but we are going for maximum mpg change. 4-5mpg better is ok but 12-13mpg will make a significant dent in the fuel budget. We don't pull anything big. Just a 7x12 or occasionally something a little bigger, but I don't want to have to borrow somebody's truck to bring some lumber home from Lowes. And no it doesn't have to pull the trailer and 7 people at the same time. I've found a highlander in Los Angeles that I like and (more importantly) can afford. Its a $200 flight out and 21 hr drive back to bring it home. I am not ready to do that yet. It sure would be nice if I didn't care what I drove or could afford to buy something new. It would be so much easier to buy cars.

My wife drives a 2010 Highlander and consistently gets between 22-25 mpg. Mostly city miles too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sure would be nice if I didn't care what I drove...

I've gotten to this place, and it is glorious.
I can see why.
Ha, just out of curiosity I looked up what my car is worth. According to kbb.com the best I could hope for is $3k. I don't mind. It gets me where I need to go and it's comfortable. To me that's all that really matters in a car. 95% of the time I'm commuting to/from work, so what does it really matter what I drive so long as it gets me there and I'm not a sweaty mess when I arrive. I've had numerous friends & colleagues mock my car, I just don't care. Sure they drive flashy cars that look cool or go fast, but they use theirs for the exact same thing I use mine for and mine is cheap (no payments) and gets 25-30mpg. Why would I want to buy something new and flashy just because I can?

You mean you don't want to look cool in a used jaguar like that dipshit that still works there?

I'm gonna need a new car soon, but not really looking forward to paying for it.. But the Durango is approaching. 200,000 miles ...guess I have gotten my. 24k out of it?

I was pretty much there with my old truck until it ruptured a brake line last year due to rust. I just lost confidence in the vehicle for long distance travel. I typically do a bunch of research and buy a new vehicle that I really like and then run it until it gets to the point where I just don't trust it any more. It took 14+ years for the last one to get there. I'm hoping for the same from the new one.

It sure would be nice if I didn't care what I drove...
I've gotten to this place, and it is glorious.
I can see why.
Ha, just out of curiosity I looked up what my car is worth. According to kbb.com the best I could hope for is $3k. I don't mind. It gets me where I need to go and it's comfortable. To me that's all that really matters in a car. 95% of the time I'm commuting to/from work, so what does it really matter what I drive so long as it gets me there and I'm not a sweaty mess when I arrive. I've had numerous friends & colleagues mock my car, I just don't care. Sure they drive flashy cars that look cool or go fast, but they use theirs for the exact same thing I use mine for and mine is cheap (no payments) and gets 25-30mpg. Why would I want to buy something new and flashy just because I can?
HA! Gotcha beat. I had to lie on KBB to get a price on my car since it doesn't go back to 1992 and they don't rate "poor" cars. $1239 for my beater car. It's probably more worth a deck of playing cards. But for 34 MPG and no loan on it, I can live with six different shades of red, a busted front bumper cover, and a passenger door that doesn't open from the outside.

^^^ eg, I would assume its because of the other thread. Smaller/cheaper SUV that doesnt use as much gas.

I am confused..... are you still considering this purchase despite the other thread you started today?
I was wondering the same thing.

badal - I was going through the same thoughts myself recently because I drive a wrangler on 33's and a lift which gets probably 10 mpg and recently increased my commute from about 6 miles round trip to 80.

I know this might not be feasible since you live out in the country, but is it possible to do some trip planning or car pooling? I was able to find a van pool which saves me nearly $300 per month. And my wife has gone to route planning which has made it possible to extend time between fillups from a week before to about a week and a half now.

Also, I know you say you refuse to get a minivan, but don't be so quick to discount them, they are quite comfortable and our odyssey gets probably close to 24 mpg.

I have never encountered anyone who regretted their minivan purchase. Everyone says, "I can't believe I fought it so long!"

I am confused..... are you still considering this purchase despite the other thread you started today?
I was wondering the same thing.

badal - I was going through the same thoughts myself recently because I drive a wrangler on 33's and a lift which gets probably 10 mpg and recently increased my commute from about 6 miles round trip to 80.

I know this might not be feasible since you live out in the country, but is it possible to do some trip planning or car pooling? I was able to find a van pool which saves me nearly $300 per month. And my wife has gone to route planning which has made it possible to extend time between fillups from a week before to about a week and a half now.

Also, I know you say you refuse to get a minivan, but don't be so quick to discount them, they are quite comfortable and our odyssey gets probably close to 24 mpg.
I don't believe this vehicle is for Badal, but rather his wife. Sounds like her "around the town" driving with the kids, etc is crushing their gas budget, and "around the town" type driving isn't necessarily something you can carpool with...

^^^ eg, I would assume its because of the other thread. Smaller/cheaper SUV that doesnt use as much gas.

but then you have a car payment, different insurance rates because it's a new car (possibly a change to full coverage rather than liability only)... so you really might not be saving any money...

plus $90 is like WOW, where the heck are you driving...

Yeah, Dex, that's why I suggested trip planning. My wife has gone to one outing per day, plots out points A, B, C etc and goes the direct route to each even if it means stopping by the grocery store with both kids after school or whatnot. Just some thoughts, it may or may not work, but data to be considered nonetheless.

Back