SE Results are Out

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I passed the Lateral - Buildings this go through after failing the same test in the spring (my result was 28/30 in morning and Unacceptable x 2, Needs Improvement, and Acceptable). I took the EET review course and that dramatically helped turn around my result for the afternoon portion. I felt much better walking out of the test though I quickly convinced myself I had failed the concrete question and all hope was lost. On to the vertical I suppose...

IL results are out. Check Continental Testing Services Website.

Status update on PA results:

I spoke with the board this morning and the person I talked to could only tell me my results were pending and they haven't received exam results yet. This can't be true since I later confirmed with an NCEES rep that PE and SE results have been released to ALL state boards. I'm wondering what is going on here. Has anyone else spoke with the PA board since the SE results have been released from NCEES? I'm thinking about putting in another call later on today, but I hate being a pest. 

Status update on PA results:

I spoke with the board this morning and the person I talked to could only tell me my results were pending and they haven't received exam results yet. This can't be true since I later confirmed with an NCEES rep that PE and SE results have been released to ALL state boards. I'm wondering what is going on here. Has anyone else spoke with the PA board since the SE results have been released from NCEES? I'm thinking about putting in another call later on today, but I hate being a pest. 
This is funny, since here in VT I had not received results yet and emailed the board to confirm.  The board member said they had not received results from NCEES yet.  They said they had received results for PE, but not for SE.  I also contacted NCEES to explain this conversation to them (via chat) and they said they had released results to ALL state boards.  They even said this twice - "All SE results have been released to the state boards."  I emailed the state board back to ask if they could call NCEES to double check but have not heard back since an hour ago (around 9am).  Sounds fishy...

We must have gotten perfect scores and they are investigating?  This is the only possible explanation I can think of (cue eye-roll).

This is funny, since here in VT I had not received results yet and emailed the board to confirm.  The board member said they had not received results from NCEES yet.  They said they had received results for PE, but not for SE.  I also contacted NCEES to explain this conversation to them (via chat) and they said they had released results to ALL state boards.  They even said this twice - "All SE results have been released to the state boards."  I emailed the state board back to ask if they could call NCEES to double check but have not heard back since an hour ago (around 9am).  Sounds fishy...

We must have gotten perfect scores and they are investigating?  This is the only possible explanation I can think of (cue eye-roll).
Sounds very fishy. I am just imagining the results sitting in someones inbox, but let's go with the perfect score theory. My anxiety is at an all time high right now since I was expecting results by end of day Friday. PA managed to release Oct 2016 PE results day one and April 2017 SE results day one. What's going on?!

Failed Vertical Buildings for the 2nd time.  My mind is blown right now.  I failed in April and fully expected the result I got...24/40, A, IR, UA, UA.  This time I felt like I did much better but somehow got 19/40 in the morning?!?!?! My afternoon was good with A, A, A, IR.  I have NO IDEA how I could only get 19/40 in the morning correct.  I'm convinced something went wrong with my scantron or when I went to copy answers to my scantron?  For the April exam I had 11 problems I guessed on, for this one I only had 4.  I'll be emailing NCEES but the frustrating thing is unless there was a scantron error (0.000001% chance) there's no way for me to know what happened! Argh!

Sounds very fishy. I am just imagining the results sitting in someones inbox, but let's go with the perfect score theory. My anxiety is at an all time high right now since I was expecting results by end of day Friday. PA managed to release Oct 2016 PE results day one and April 2017 SE results day one. What's going on?!
Same schedule generally for VT.  I spoke with NCEES chat again and mentioned this happened for PA as well, and she said there is no mixup, all of the results are sent out.  So I asked her if she could call the board and remind them when they sent them out and she said "Unfortunately I cannot call.  There is a process and once it is decided the board will let NCEES know when to release them."  So I'll call the board member to see if I can't get more info...

Same schedule generally for VT.  I spoke with NCEES chat again and mentioned this happened for PA as well, and she said there is no mixup, all of the results are sent out.  So I asked her if she could call the board and remind them when they sent them out and she said "Unfortunately I cannot call.  There is a process and once it is decided the board will let NCEES know when to release them."  So I'll call the board member to see if I can't get more info...
Phil, thanks for reaching out on behalf of PA test takers. I just emailed the board so we'll see what happens. Let us know if anything turns up once you call. 

It is official!!!.  Passed both vertical and lateral first trial with no review course. Thanks to everybody here and best of luck for everyone who is still waiting.

PA results out. Unacceptable for lateral buildings. I thought it would be close, but I'm surprised just how poorly I did. 22/40 in the morning and UA-Wood, UA-Concrete, A-General Analysis, and IR-Steel.

Background: PE Structural passed first try October 2016, SE Vertical Building passed first try April 2017, and SE Lateral Buildings failed first try October 2017.

Back to the books....

PA results out. Unacceptable for lateral buildings. I thought it would be close, but I'm surprised just how poorly I did. 22/40 in the morning and UA-Wood, UA-Concrete, A-General Analysis, and IR-Steel.

Background: PE Structural passed first try October 2016, SE Vertical Building passed first try April 2017, and SE Lateral Buildings failed first try October 2017.

Back to the books....
Sorry to hear that.  I think I'm going to be there with you. 

Looks like PA "found" the results?  I can't get through to the VT board...

Much to my surprise and excitement, I passed Lateral in Vermont.  I guess the email "got lost" and results have not typically been released until after the holidays, so anyway, better late than never!

I really am quite surprised that I passed.  I remember thinking during the afternoon when I was bogged down on that first problem that I was going to be taking the test again.  The thought crossed my mind to just stop then, but I remembered how many people were behind me and didn't think it was my right to throw all that support away.  I tried to salvage the problem and moved on.  I contacted NCEES regarding the issues I found with the problem (per the encouragement of the people on this forum - thanks!) and there you have it.  I have not taken any courses.  450 hrs Vertical study (April 17); 300 hrs Lateral study (Oct 17).  

Thanks to this forum for all the tips and knowledge regarding this exam.  It has been a huge help.  I have had most of my questions answered just by searching the archives and great to be able to keep track of results coming out or when to expect them.

Much to my surprise and excitement, I passed Lateral in Vermont.  I guess the email "got lost" and results have not typically been released until after the holidays, so anyway, better late than never!

I really am quite surprised that I passed.  I remember thinking during the afternoon when I was bogged down on that first problem that I was going to be taking the test again.  The thought crossed my mind to just stop then, but I remembered how many people were behind me and didn't think it was my right to throw all that support away.  I tried to salvage the problem and moved on.  I contacted NCEES regarding the issues I found with the problem (per the encouragement of the people on this forum - thanks!) and there you have it.  I have not taken any courses.  450 hrs Vertical study (April 17); 300 hrs Lateral study (Oct 17).  

Thanks to this forum for all the tips and knowledge regarding this exam.  It has been a huge help.  I have had most of my questions answered just by searching the archives and great to be able to keep track of results coming out or when to expect them.
Congrats Phil!

Congrats! Good work. That lateral component was intense and has a 31% pass rate to prove it.

Most important and useful books for studying and during the Lateral exam:

- Seismic and Wind Forces Structural Design Examples 4th edition  by Alan Williams (This is the same guy who does the SERM.  Some sections may be out of date now for the 18 exams).  I used the steel section in lieu of studying the example problems in the AISC seismic manual (though you still need to know the rest of the AISC manual).  I spent 80 hours in this book.  I substituted SEAOC Vol 1 for the Seismic section of this book, but went through every other chapter.  This was my main reference for materials questions on the exam.

- Bridge Problems for the Structural Engineering (SE) Exam: Lateral Loads - 2nd Ed. by David Connor (This books was critical.  I do not believe I would have passed without this book.  I have even emailed David directly with questions and he got right back to me.)  Went through this book twice.

- NCEES and PPI practice exams.  Went through them twice.

- SEAOC Volume 1 (did skim the other volumes but they were not as useful.)  Went through this book twice

- Structural Engineering Reference Manual,  Lateral and Bridges sections were critical for analysis (in combination w/ David Connors book for AASHTO problems).

Back