SE RESULTS ARE OUT

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only gave vertical.

Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable

Morning: 20/40. Don't know what to say. 

Illinois results are finally out, I passed both on the first try! 

And I can't recommend the PPI class enough, I wouldn't have passed without it!
Much appreciated, glad we helped. Give yourself plenty of credit too, you worked hard for this.

Passed Day 1.  Failed day 2.  Screwed up the morning portion somehow.  21/40 Acceptable/Acceptable/Acceptable/Improvement Req'd.
Damn, looks like your morning was the issue for sure but you're fairly close. Might have just been a few minor errors or unlucky guesses slipped in enough to knock your score down. Something tells me you just need one more shot at it and you'll have it knocked out of the park. Plus now you can focus your studies on that day.

Only gave vertical.

Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable

Morning: 20/40. Don't know what to say. 
Curse words, that's what you say. The highest all "acceptable" score I've been told was 23/40 and Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable (bridges). You're the only building all "acceptable" I've seen. Probably just 6 or so more morning questions and you would have had it. Definitely keep it up, you totally got this.

Passed Day 1.  Failed day 2.  Screwed up the morning portion somehow.  21/40 Acceptable/Acceptable/Acceptable/Improvement Req'd.
Chris, this is interesting as you passed vertical and your lateral afternoon looked great. How did you feel about the lateral morning? Are you surprised with your score?

Much appreciated, glad we helped. Give yourself plenty of credit too, you worked hard for this.

Damn, looks like your morning was the issue for sure but you're fairly close. Might have just been a few minor errors or unlucky guesses slipped in enough to knock your score down. Something tells me you just need one more shot at it and you'll have it knocked out of the park. Plus now you can focus your studies on that day.
TehMightyEngineer, do you teach the PPI course?

Chris, this is interesting as you passed vertical and your lateral afternoon looked great. How did you feel about the lateral morning? Are you surprised with your score?
Very Surprised.  I don't recall having any issues on either morning session.  I thought if I failed lateral, it would be because of afternoon problem 804, which I actually got acceptable on.  

Very Surprised.  I don't recall having any issues on either morning session.  I thought if I failed lateral, it would be because of afternoon problem 804, which I actually got acceptable on.  
Ugh, I have no idea what direction to go with the review course this Fall. The past two exams have thrown a number of curve balls but at the same time the passing rate is the same and it appears that most people dealt with the curve balls well enough. I guess I'll keep things the same but highly stress how to deal with these curve balls most effectively and to expect them. Much appreciated for the info.

TehMightyEngineer, do you teach the PPI course?
One half of it, I've been teaching it since PPI started it in 2015. Essentially I've never stopped studying for the SE exam. Hearing success stories like LadyEnginerd the best. PPI had a bit of a rocky start with how they had the original SE review course laid out but we made a ton of improvements. This year we had an almost entirely positive response to the course in our feedback. PPI really does care a lot about the quality of their courses.

Ugh, I have no idea what direction to go with the review course this Fall. The past two exams have thrown a number of curve balls but at the same time the passing rate is the same and it appears that most people dealt with the curve balls well enough. I guess I'll keep things the same but highly stress how to deal with these curve balls most effectively and to expect them. Much appreciated for the info.

One half of it, I've been teaching it since PPI started it in 2015. Essentially I've never stopped studying for the SE exam. Hearing success stories like LadyEnginerd the best. PPI had a bit of a rocky start with how they had the original SE review course laid out but we made a ton of improvements. This year we had an almost entirely positive response to the course in our feedback. PPI really does care a lot about the quality of their courses.
It's tough with the nondisclosure agreement on moving forward.  There's just so many topics, I thought we covered the most important aspects.  I apparently screwed up wood on the morning portion, which did most of the damage, and I messed up some steel, which surprises me, because I work almost exclusively in steel, outside of foundations and anchorage.  I'm guessing I just goofed on multiple choice problems, which I did do on my practice exams, but not to this extreme (got ~30/40 on my practice exams).  

Curse words, that's what you say. The highest all "acceptable" score I've been told was 23/40 and Acceptable, Acceptable, Acceptable (bridges). You're the only building all "acceptable" I've seen. Probably just 6 or so more morning questions and you would have had it. Definitely keep it up, you totally got this.
Should have spent more time on AASHTO. 

Do they offer just a lateral course?

Just want to say congrats to everyone that passed. And if you didn't pass, just know you are not alone. Remember, this is the MOST DIFFICULT of all of the engineering exams. Buckle down and you WILL PASS! 

That being said, it looks like the pass rates inched up slightly from Oct. 2016. So people are starting to get the hang of what this exam entails. 

Do they offer just a lateral course?
Unfortunately not at this time. We're currently working on breaking up the course better for bridges and buildings and vertical and lateral so that people can tailor it to their exams. For right now we only have the combined vertical and lateral. It's still a great value but I fully admit that it's not ideally setup for someone who just needs one last section of the course. That said, we do have some people who take the course just for 1/2 of it and many vertical topics are still useful to review.

Just found out my results.

First time test taker. Took both vertical and lateral. Passed Vertical. Failed Lateral.

20/40. IR, A, A, A.

Walked out feeling more comfortable with Lateral.  Don't know what happened.  Signing up for October. 

I want to thank everyone one this board for making this wait somewhat bearable.

First time test taker. Took both vertical and lateral. Passed Vertical. Failed Lateral.

20/40. IR, A, A, A.

Walked out feeling more comfortable with Lateral.  Don't know what happened.  Signing up for October. 

Sounds like you and Chris had the same issues.

20/40. IR, A, A, A.

That was my exact score in October.  I did the same thing you did - passed vertical and failed lateral.  I retook lateral in April and passed and I know you can do the same.  It is a lot easier to only have to study for one exam - just focus on the areas you struggled in this time and you will be an SE in 6 months!

Illinois results are finally out, I passed both on the first try! 

And I can't recommend the PPI class enough, I wouldn't have passed without it!
congrats! are you listed on idfpr license lookup yet? I am wanting to know if an old coworker passed but I don't want to ask him if he didn't, just celebrate if he did! :)

Took the SE Vertical Forces Buildings and passed it.  I though the morning section rocked me, and was pleasantly surprised to see that I passed.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone on the board for posting useful advice.  I didn’t really know where to start and seeing all the tips and references being posted really helped.  

Time to start studying for the lateral.

I took the SE Lateral Bridge this April and passed after failing Lateral Bridge in October with a 17/40 and a Unacceptable, Acceptable, Improvement Needed.  For the October exam I self studied and took Vertical the day before which I passed.  After failing quite badly, I signed up for the EET Lateral course.  The course was fantastic and I don't think I would have passed without it.  We spent one full day going over bridge afternoon questions which really helped when taking the exam.  Even some of the curveball question topics on the exam we had previously discussed in class.  For everyone needing help with studying for Lateral, I recommend EET. 

Back