SE Lateral am section

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saluki21

Reaction score
I was curious to see what study materials find useful for doing well on the am portion of the lateral SE exam?

I can't recommend anything better than the SEAOC Seismic Design Manual, Vol. 1. Although Vols. 2-4 are also very good.

For wind get the ASCE 7 Guide to Wind Load Provisions.

For bridge problems I recommend the book that I wrote. Bridge Problems for the SE Exam: Lateral Loads.

PPI's 16 Hour SE Exam book as well. 

I can't recommend anything better than the SEAOC Seismic Design Manual, Vol. 1. Although Vols. 2-4 are also very good.

For wind get the ASCE 7 Guide to Wind Load Provisions.

For bridge problems I recommend the book that I wrote. Bridge Problems for the SE Exam: Lateral Loads.

PPI's 16 Hour SE Exam book as well. 
David-I ordered SEAOC 1-3 today. What are your thoughts on Volume 4? Are the examples shown in AISC 341 similar to what's in that volume? Just didn't want to purchase if it didn't provide much value. Thanks 

NMStruc,

See how you like volumes 2 & 3 to see how the examples are laid out. Volumes 2-4 are more like "entire building" examples vs. Vol. 1 which is more individual problems. If you like 2 & 3, then also get 4. The book's value for their price are worth it, even if you aren't studying for the SE. Just to have in the reference library. 

NMStruc,

See how you like volumes 2 & 3 to see how the examples are laid out. Volumes 2-4 are more like "entire building" examples vs. Vol. 1 which is more individual problems. If you like 2 & 3, then also get 4. The book's value for their price are worth it, even if you aren't studying for the SE. Just to have in the reference library. 
Great, thanks David. 

Back