Salary raise after passing PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like John said, maybe your email should be a request for a face-to-face meeting. I have asked for a raise over the phone before because my Manager was based in DC and I'm in NYC. I would strongly encourage some type of immediate interaction (in-person, second best is the phone) as opposed to e-mail.
Yep. Giving someone time to think about and craft a response will always hurt you. Plus, it's way too easy to say no via email than it is face-to-face or via phone.
I think you are right ENVE, what do I write back if he say big fat NO or some sort of corporate language that hints the answer NO.What is killing me is I know customer is going to pay 20-25% more to my company if they start selling me as a PE. This is not just a guess, it is a fact.
If it is a fact that they will charge more for your services. Then you need to gently being that up during the conversation.

Passed PE civil with structural depth in California on my first try. Literally worked my ass off to combine work and study these last months to pass the 3 exams.

My employer does not want to raise my salary at all, basically because they say I dont have enough experience. I cannot argue with that, I'm fresh out of college, but it sucks...might be time to look for a new job

Passed PE civil with structural depth in California on my first try. Literally worked my ass off to combine work and study these last months to pass the 3 exams.

My employer does not want to raise my salary at all, basically because they say I dont have enough experience. I cannot argue with that, I'm fresh out of college, but it sucks...might be time to look for a new job
It doesn't hurt to look around. Think of how much more valuable you just became! Somebody else might recognize that if your current company doesn't.

Based on that salary survey, WTF does a FORENSIC Engineer do? Whatever it is, our future kids are studying THAT.

Several years ago I had the pleasure of working along side Robert Bea (http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/people/faculty/bea), a highly respected Civil Engineer that specializes in forensic engineering (https://www.asme.org/engineering-topics/articles/safety-and-risk-assessment/robert-bea-master-forensic-engineering). He was an expert in a federal litigation case that I was also involved in. Really fascinating work and well compensated if you can get it.

I've posted this before but here again:

I worked at an MEP firm where they like to have a PE license and got a 5% bump for passing my PE. My duties did not change and I kept pushing and pushing to add responsibility. Finally I just left and went to another MEP firm and got a 16% bump in salary.

Then I left that company a year later and went to work in utility with another 10% bump in salary.

Basically job hop as much as you can for salary increases. One problem most people will run into by staying at their current company is that they might not have a use for your new found PE-ness or they still view you as the same exact person that you have been (depending how long you've been there). I've found by switching companies you get a fresh start and you come in with management looking at you in a different light.

I work with a forensic engineer that is an expert witness in court cases. House fires, plant explosions, etc.

I've posted this before but here again:

I worked at an MEP firm where they like to have a PE license and got a 5% bump for passing my PE. My duties did not change and I kept pushing and pushing to add responsibility. Finally I just left and went to another MEP firm and got a 16% bump in salary.

Then I left that company a year later and went to work in utility with another 10% bump in salary.

Basically job hop as much as you can for salary increases. One problem most people will run into by staying at their current company is that they might not have a use for your new found PE-ness or they still view you as the same exact person that you have been (depending how long you've been there). I've found by switching companies you get a fresh start and you come in with management looking at you in a different light.

Sorry if this is a dumb question... what does MEP firm mean?

I'm going to ask to meet and "revisit my compensation" sometime this week...I got a nice round of applause at the staff meeting this morning which was pretty awesome

I passed Civil Transportation on my first attempt under some pressure from my boss. I got about 11%.

Based on that salary survey, WTF does a FORENSIC Engineer do? Whatever it is, our future kids are studying THAT.
Job openings on the boards for forensic.

We do a bit of forensic Engjneering and whenever we do expert witness testimony our billing rate goes from $150 to $300 an hour, not that I actually make anymore. But our liability for these projects jump up real high.

Latest posts

Back