Salary raise after passing PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boss quit a year ago, I interviewed for his job and signed a contract for his job and have been doing it (with a PE overseeing what I have done once a week) for the past year :p so it is not all just a raise, its a new title!

Honestly, it would take a really good salary and great benefits for me to leave where I am. I have interviewed with a couple of companies the past few years as a CFD Engineer. I found that most gave me a slightly better salary, but couldn't match my benefits.

Honestly, it would take a really good salary and great benefits for me to leave where I am. I have interviewed with a couple of companies the past few years as a CFD Engineer. I found that most gave me a slightly better salary, but couldn't match my benefits.

I agree, with very little effort on my part I will actually get a raise when I retire! It would take a great deal more pay to get me to move...

I'm a civil whose first job out of college was in the oil and gas industry. I had an idea of what civils made but when I saw the big difference in $$$ starting pay I said I can be any kind of engineer you want me to be.

Right now oil and gas jobs are in doldrums - hope it becomes better soon - I am in Oil and Gas too. I dont see many jobs at all nowadays in Houston in O & G. 1 year ago - job market was hot in Houston in the same.

I clearly bucked the trend. Just started a new job a month ago (went from Consultant to Owner/Operator). Albeit, the actual company was on a hiring freeze, except for this position.

That being said, traffic in Houston is a lot better on the West Side now that 10-15% of folks got laid off!

I got my license in December, got laid off in January. Started a business and applied for Firm registration in Texas the day I was laid off. Now I'm on track to make nearly twice as much as I did working for an oil field service company.

There is no formula for it. It's whatever you make of it and getting that license is the first step.

Oh yeah, and Houston traffic is great when you work from home!

Do you want to make more money? Sure, we all do!

hqdefault.jpg

And, who the hell discusses salaries anyways? It's none of anybody's business. If you are happy and feel well compensated, then who gives a crap? If you went into engineering to be rich, well then......

Said every business owner in the world.

If we really knew what everyone made no one would get the shaft!

And, who the hell discusses salaries anyways? It's none of anybody's business. If you are happy and feel well compensated, then who gives a crap? If you went into engineering to be rich, well then......

Said every business owner in the world.

If we really knew what everyone made no one would get the shaft!

yep there's a reason companies don't want employees discussing salaries. i like these discussions on EB.com as it sheds a little light on what our peers are being paid. though there are so many factors to consider (location, benefits, working environment, etc.) that you get a pretty fuzzy picture when just comparing X salary to Y salary.

Currently make $26.50. Get paid by the hour and work 5 hours OT (1.5x)

26.5x40x52=55,120

1.5x26.5x52x5=10,335

I roughly make 65,455

hoping to get a 10-20% raise. I graduated civil but took the HVAC and refrigeration test. I work in Portland, OR.

Lundy I make about the same amout. with no OT...1-1/2 year of experience in IL..how many years of experience do you have? I think you might be getting shorted

I don't have any experience yet as a PE. I'm possibly looking at another company to move to. They are a fab shop with in an house architecture firm and are looking to expand their mechanical side by next March. I graduated in 2008 and have had mainly engineering jobs. Here's my linkedin account. https://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-lund/12/a20/8a0

Last edited by a moderator:
After talking with older co workers I'm going to start researching salary numbers. Other than salary.com what is another good reference for compensation? I'm also using the ASCE engineer level criteria to see where I fall. I'm sitting around level IV after passing the PE.

Do a google search for ASME salary survey 2012. This survey was done in conjunction with ASCE. The numbers are obviously slightly dated but you can do the math for the COLAs and come up with a relevant number.

ASME is Mechanical, so the study Ramnares referenced is applicable.
I printed the one Ramnares referenced which does a good job at explaining detailed information. The other two links above give a broad understanding of what difference "grades" of engineers responsibilities are. I'll read through the ASME study tonight

Guys, just don't forget to factor in your benefits and perks. They can be massive and are often overlooked when looking at base salary. And, of course, the cost of living where you are may not be reflected in the general salary guides.

I'm all about a big base salary but can't help but believe you've got to consider the true value of your entire "compensation package." You might find that despite a larger base you'd have less actual net pay in some situations due to subpar benefit packages.

Latest posts

Back