Salary raise after passing PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, just don't forget to factor in your benefits and perks. They can be massive and are often overlooked when looking at base salary. And, of course, the cost of living where you are may not be reflected in the general salary guides.

I'm all about a big base salary but can't help but believe you've got to consider the true value of your entire "compensation package." You might find that despite a larger base you'd have less actual net pay in some situations due to subpar benefit packages.
This is so true. I went from gov't to consulting. While my base pay is higher, my benefits are considerably worse. Then again, there are positives from not working in gov't. :biggrin:

I got a salary bump effective the date I received my passing results (5/25/15). 5% increase, which is a little over $4,000/yr. You can do the math.

I got a salary bump effective the date I received my passing results (5/25/15). 5% increase, which is a little over $4,000/yr. You can do the math.

May I ask how old you are?

This is where I think it becomes advantageous to get the PE a bit later on in ones career when it actually means something. I took a new job last year with a large firm and negotiated a very competitive salary. I am hoping i passed this exam, and if I do, there is an understanding that I will be receiving at min a 10% bump. Had I already had the PE when i took the job last year, I doubt i would have gotten them to come up that 10% from the offer i got.

When you get it as a younger engineer and you arent utilizing the stamp, your employer isnt really going to pay you accordingly because at that point in your career you arent offering any additional value to the firm. You are still a jr engineer, not leading projects, not at the top of the org chart, and not signing/sealing drawings.

When you get a bit more senior and ARE getting more responsibilities and are THE MAN, then they're going to pay you for it. My firm has a ton of PE's, but none currently in my business group. When (If?) i get it, I will be THE MAN. And will be paid accordingly.

I get that its nice to pass the exam, and get it out of the way early, i just think that a lot of folks short change themselves that way. Just my 2 cents.

RF Engineer, 32 years old.

Working in the public sector, this would make me eligible for an Associate Engineer position (currently Junior Engineer), which equates $7,300 a year more than I am making right now. All of the compensation information is public, so it's easy for me to figure out. Now the question becomes how long it would take for the paperwork to be completed to actually move me into that position...

Benefits would stay the same, and they are awesome.

This is where I think it becomes advantageous to get the PE a bit later on in ones career when it actually means something. I took a new job last year with a large firm and negotiated a very competitive salary. I am hoping i passed this exam, and if I do, there is an understanding that I will be receiving at min a 10% bump. Had I already had the PE when i took the job last year, I doubt i would have gotten them to come up that 10% from the offer i got.

When you get it as a younger engineer and you arent utilizing the stamp, your employer isnt really going to pay you accordingly because at that point in your career you arent offering any additional value to the firm. You are still a jr engineer, not leading projects, not at the top of the org chart, and not signing/sealing drawings.

When you get a bit more senior and ARE getting more responsibilities and are THE MAN, then they're going to pay you for it. My firm has a ton of PE's, but none currently in my business group. When (If?) i get it, I will be THE MAN. And will be paid accordingly.

I get that its nice to pass the exam, and get it out of the way early, i just think that a lot of folks short change themselves that way. Just my 2 cents.

His profile says 1985. Same age as me and I make 65l compared to his now 84k. That's good news Kovz! Congrats!!!! Now to have a talk with my employer sometime in the future.

His profile says 1985. Same age as me and I make 65l compared to his now 84k. That's good news Kovz! Congrats!!!! Now to have a talk with my employer sometime in the future.
Correct, I am 30y/o living and working in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Thank you, btw! I am satisfied with my current salary. But I know having a PE will be beneficial in the long run. I can negotiate higher salaries if I change jobs or get promoted to department head (which my current company is grooming me for).

All the cool people were born in 1985...

All the cool people were born in 1985...
Especially all the people named Adam born in 1985...Those are the cream of the crop. My name is Adam too

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an interesting discussion, particularly when we've got PEs in different disciplines across the country in different industries. I think the general rule is "It wont hurt, but your mileage may vary".

The salary surveys I see are very industry-specific. Back up north (Canadialand), Alberta's Assoc of Prof. Engineers does an annual salary survey of it's members (PE-equivalents and EITs) and there's a huge variation between industries, but in general the top dawgs are in Operating companies in Oil & Gas, the next level are high end consultants, and then you get your engineering design firms, and then maybe vendors, and then (maybe?) the municipal/federal folks. Of course there is overlap between all groups, but that's the general jist of it.

I live in Houston now, and I see some of the numbers above and roll my eyes when I remember that Petroleum Engineers out of college are rolling in entry-level positions at over 100k. Now, granted, this was at $100/barrel oil, and while the market has cooled to a glacial pace, they are still highly compensate. Though even with large %-based bonus, 25% of an annual loss is still zero!

In contrast, my wife hasnt sold out and remains working in Aerospace, and the folks down at SpaceCamp aka NASA take a lot less money but do get great benefits. In contrast, O&G folks my age are making the same levels as Center Directors at NASA with PhDs.

As for my newly-acquired PE, it will count for sweet-nothing. Sure, it's great, and I'm proud of it, but I wont use it as a negotiation tool b/c there's no real inherent value in it in my current position other than a box-ticking exercise. I know others that work for EPC companies WILL use it, but the relative increases are low compared to say, a jump to an Owner/Operator.

The ASCE chart is interesting. By technical ability, I'm in between a Grade V and VI, and my wife down at SpaceCamp is a GS-13/14 (I cant remember which one). HOWEVER, as for salaries, totally different.

Based on that salary survey, WTF does a FORENSIC Engineer do? Whatever it is, our future kids are studying THAT.

Exihibit 27. Brazoria Texas? Yeah, basically south houston (Pearland) where a lot of O&G families live. Also, the Texans, though I doubt many Defensive Linemen have PEs. Ditto Bakersfield CA.

This may not be true of all Forensic Engineers but I know one who was responsible for reconstructing vehicular crashes and evaluating it for insurance purposes. I'm sure it's a very broad field but that's an example of what they do.

The ASCE chart is interesting. By technical ability, I'm in between a Grade V and VI, and my wife down at SpaceCamp is a GS-13/14 (I cant remember which one). HOWEVER, as for salaries, totally different.
May I ask how totally different it is? are you making a significant amount less?

May I ask how totally different it is? are you making a significant amount less?

I take-home 70% more than her on base salary.

I need advise on sending email for asking raise. I just passed the exam. I work as a substation commissioning engineer and I never go to office, I spend 365 days in the field. So I only see my immediate manager face-to-face maybe twice a year and we talk on the phone maybe 4 times a year. (After I got hired I met him 7 months later, everything was done over the phone :) ).

I wont sign and drawings or my job responsibilities wont change However my company sends me to client sites and they charge hourly rate to client for my work. If my company have 50 guys in the field I believe I am the 3rd guy with the PE license. Now they can charge more for my work to client if I tell them I have a PE. Basically once I break the news to my company they will give me some $$$ and increase y billing rate, I know that for sure.

Problem is HOW DO ASK THIS? I am not sure how to word it out.

I passed the test, give me money!!! It would have been easier face to face, but for now I dont have that option.

Any suggestion?

I need advise on sending email for asking raise. I just passed the exam. I work as a substation commissioning engineer and I never go to office, I spend 365 days in the field. So I only see my immediate manager face-to-face maybe twice a year and we talk on the phone maybe 4 times a year. (After I got hired I met him 7 months later, everything was done over the phone :) ).

I wont sign and drawings or my job responsibilities wont change However my company sends me to client sites and they charge hourly rate to client for my work. If my company have 50 guys in the field I believe I am the 3rd guy with the PE license. Now they can charge more for my work to client if I tell them I have a PE. Basically once I break the news to my company they will give me some $$$ and increase y billing rate, I know that for sure.

I passed the test, give me money!!! It would have been easier face to face, but for now I dont have that option.

Any suggestion?
1st things 1st .... have someone review your grammar before sending it, I am being serious.

2nd ... I have never heard of asking for a raise via email. Seems very tacky. If it is that important you should make time to discuss face to face, or at least on the telephone.

Like John said, maybe your email should be a request for a face-to-face meeting. I have asked for a raise over the phone before because my Manager was based in DC and I'm in NYC. I would strongly encourage some type of immediate interaction (in-person, second best is the phone) as opposed to e-mail.

Like John said, maybe your email should be a request for a face-to-face meeting. I have asked for a raise over the phone before because my Manager was based in DC and I'm in NYC. I would strongly encourage some type of immediate interaction (in-person, second best is the phone) as opposed to e-mail.
Yep. Giving someone time to think about and craft a response will always hurt you. Plus, it's way too easy to say no via email than it is face-to-face or via phone.

Any suggestion?
And from what I've been told you should print out salaries from the area you live and your grade level of engineer. This way you can justify why and how much your raise should be.

Any suggestion?
1st things 1st .... have someone review your grammar before sending it, I am being serious.

2nd ... I have never heard of asking for a raise via email. Seems very tacky. If it is that important you should make time to discuss face to face, or at least on the telephone.
John QPE , thank you for reminding me my weakness. I appreciate the input and yes you are absolutely right about my writing. Not the first time I was told that I am a bad writer.

Yep. Giving someone time to think about and craft a response will always hurt you. Plus, it's way too easy to say no via email than it is face-to-face or via phone.
I think you are right ENVE, what do I write back if he say big fat NO or some sort of corporate language that hints the answer NO.

What is killing me is I know customer is going to pay 20-25% more to my company if they start selling me as a PE. This is not just a guess, it is a fact.

Back