Salary by Discipline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Central TX, Structural, Small Firm

EIT 4/2003

BS 5/2003

MS 5/2007

PE 10/2007 Pending

Engineering work experience from 5/2004 (3.5 years)

Currently 51K with lousy benefits

Promised bump to 60K with PE, which still wont be enough due to recent increases in healthcare premium

I believe I could easily make mid 60s post-PE locally, with much better benefits - and I intend to test this theory.

PS - Please look at my new healthcare thread!

It was a glorious bitch of an exam. Open book and covered all discipliness. It was was written so you couldn't posssibly finish either section. No one did. It was the most horrible experience of my life. I went balls out and still had to bubble in guesses on the last 15 questions of each section.
At least with the PE, I had time to go back and rework stuff and look up things I had absolutely no clue about.
Really? I took the FE (EIT) in April 1988. I understand the current test is more difficult than that in the days for Yore. It's my recollection that references were not allowed. I agree that the number of questions and level of difficulty precluded any normal person from comfortably completeing it in the allotted time.

^^I took the EIT (FE) in 1990. It was open book - I specifically remember frantically rummaging through the steam tables in my thermodynamics textbook. I had no idea what to expect, but because we were told it was "open book", I assumed it wouldn't be too hard, and so I drank a twelve-pack of PBR the night before with my roommate. I remember literally sweating during the exam and thinking "holy sh^#! This is hard!" We both passed, but our scores were amazingly low - something on the order of the high 40s (percent), so I suppose even the grading system was different back then.

Sorry. Back to the topic. I've posted my salaries somewhere above. But just to add some info, I have recently discovered that a PE working on Guam (civil), with a reasonable amount of experience, can expect to be paid $80k to $100k.

BS Mechanical Engineering

MS Mechanical Engineering

Passed EIT October 06

3.5 yrs experience with State of CA

Pay Range (67,000 -81000)

B.S. Civil Eng. Tech. - 99

M.S. Civil Eng. - 02 (Go Hokies!)

EIT - 99

PE - took 10/07 test

LS - Virginia

PS - West Virginia

Land Dev, Water and Sewer design, minor structural, manage anywhere from 3-5 people, Title is Project Manager.

Mid 60's including bonuses (Slightly above average in SW Virginia).

OK, it's my turn....

BSCE 2000

EIT 2000

PE (Structural I) 2006

PE (Structural II) 2007

PE(Civil) Pending

Making $53k/yr in the Twin Cities in a private consulting firm. I also have been invited to buy company stock which I did. It should also be noted that my SE2 pay increase will take place when I get my yearly pay increase. I'm hoping for atleast $58k. If I pass my civil, it should be in the $60's or I'm looking for a new job.

Last edited by a moderator:
kevo,

That seems awful low, based on creds and what has been posted here previously. Is that average for the Twin Cities?

ktulu

I'm not really sure. I tend to believe that some people inflate their pay for one reason or another.

One thing is true though. The cost of living in the Twin Cities is pretty high.

Reviews will happen before the end of the month. We'll see what happens. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, it's my turn....
BSCE 2000

EIT 2000

PE (Structural I) 2006

PE (Structural II) 2007

PE(Civil) Pending

Making $53k/yr in the Twin Cities in a private consulting firm. I also have been invited to buy company stock which I did. It should also be noted that my SE2 pay increase will take place when I get my yearly pay increase. I'm hoping for atleast $58k. If I pass my civil, it should be in the $60's or I'm looking for a new job.
That does seem a little low with approx. 7 years experience and possibly 3 different PE's. Maybe wait and see how they treat you with the upcoming raises. Also, your company stock could potentially make up some difference when comparing to other salaries. I would check job listings that require the same credentials that you have and see how they compare. Even if it is located somewhere else, you can see what it should be where you live..... Also try the salary information on NSPE and ASCE websites. Maybe careerbuilder.com would be another good place to look around and compare what other places are offering.

http://www.nspe.org/career/em6-sal.asp

http://survey.asce.org/pls/srastdp/survey_frontend.homepage

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costoflivin...stofliving.html

http://www.engineersalary.com/

I'll chime in...

BSME 1999

EIT 1999

PE April 2007 (NH)

Started out at 30k out of college working for 60+ person consulting firm doing plumbing/hvac/refrigeration...went to 60k in 5 years. Changed jobs (to a 4 person company) and am at 50k with awesome fringe bene's...flex schedule, work at home, 100% paid medical/dental, 3 weeks vaca, unlimited sick/personal time, profit sharing, low stress and awesome clients. I pretty much run my own show and as long as my clients are happy the president is happy. Also, the owner wants to sell me the company in a couple years when he retires.

Don't judge the job by the money you make. I have been offered over 80k but can't seem to let go of the great atmosphere I am a part of.

You've got to love the oilfield, when it's booming.

5 years experience, just took to PE Exam.

+/-115m

Not bad for digging in the dirt.

BSEE/EIT - 2002 (5.5yrs experience)

Took PE in Oct. '07, awaiting results

Consulting Engineer

$85k base salary, + 10%-20% bonus & 401k (just got a big raise due to PE)

Fair insurance/benefits

BSME/EIT - May 2003

PE as of 2 days ago!!

I work for an electric utility at a power plant near Buffalo, TX making 67k +0-33% bonus depending on company, plant, and individual performance. Company performance is based on earnings which triggers the bonus plan. Plant performance is based on safety, environmental, budget, and unit availability targets, while indivudual performance is based on goals set and achieved throughout the year. Assuming the company achieves its target, I am hoping for ~20% this year. Since I have worked at the plant, it has been owned by three different companies. I really like the company that owns us now and they really seem to compensate us well based on what I have seen in my industry.

I don't expect the PE to give me a bump in pay as it is not really required for my job. All large engineering projects are contracted out. However, the general manager of the plant has his, and I know that he is aware and appreciates the effort required to obtain the PE, so I believe it will help me out in the long run.

Texas Aggie '02

Okay, I haven't done this yet:

BSE - Manufacturing (Processes concentration) 1991

EIT 1990

Worked 9 years in manufacturing - everything from shift supervisor to product development coordinator to outsourced items buyer

Made the shift to Substation Protection & Control in 2000; work for private consulting firm in lower E. TN contracted with LARGE public utility; also do some process improvement within our company

Waiting for PE results (3rd try) in Electrical - Power

Currently @ abt $80k including bonus; recently received unexpected increase due to previous V.P. setting female engineers pay rate significantly lower than mens'. Have been told this will happen again in the future possibly with pay increase with successful PE score and other increases. Isn't life grand? I hope I never meet that guy on the street. :15:

^^^ It's a little of both AND a function of things like engineering discipline, size of company, working budget for billables, realtive skill and expertise of engineers AND technicians necessary to complete billables, and job duties relative to job title/position.

I have been navigating the murky waters as of late and have found that there is many a slip between the cup and the lip. :laugh:

JR

^^^ It's a little of both AND a function of things like engineering discipline, size of company, working budget for billables, realtive skill and expertise of engineers AND technicians necessary to complete billables, and job duties relative to job title/position.
I have been navigating the murky waters as of late and have found that there is many a slip between the cup and the lip. :laugh:

JR

BSCE 1995

MSc 1999

BS Arch 2004 2ND YEAR LEVEL

REG. CE FOREIGN

FOR USA : EIT STILL WAITING FOR RESULTS OCT 2007 (PLANNING TO WRITE PE USA APRIL IF I PASS OCT 2007)

EXPERIENCE : 13 YRS (2008)

ANNUAL 60K CANADIAN DOLLAR

DISCIPLINE : STRUCTURAL/CIVIL/TRANSPO

Latest posts

Back