Salary by Discipline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BS Civil '98

EIT '98

Taking the PE in April '07

8-1/2 years in construction management

NJ

Senior Project Estimator

$115k

BSEE

Dallas, Texas

Senior electronics design engineer with 11yrs experience in hardware + firmware design

PE does absolutley nothing because 99.99% of the engineering companies ignore Texas law.

currently low-average but interviewing for a new position

Last edited by a moderator:
BSCE Fall 99

Working since 00

PE Jan 06

Consulting

$60-$65k

Central Florida

Was in East TN in beginning 06

new PE

$42-$45k

same company

High salaries are great but you have to take everything into consideration.

Six years ago in the high tech boom I was an Equipment Engineer for a semiconductor capital equipment company (wafer processing equipment). I made $110 + bonus. I made $145 K one especially good year but worked 14 hour days often, six or seven day weeks, and traveled a lot domestically and internationally for weeks at a time. I could only hack about 4 years of this, and they started laying off later anyway. For a younger, unmarried guy it would have been a great job, but it wore me and my family out.

I currently make about $80 K in California as a regulator (BSEE, MS in Information Systems, PE, 15 years exp as engineer). I have the opportunity to make close to $100K if I get promoted to Senior (I'm interviewing next week) and top out in salary. That's about as far as I'll possibly go, and that isn't a fortune in the LA area. But I work 40 hours, telecommute sometimes, and when I'm done for the day that's it. And I'm not a young whippersnapper like you folks so when you get to my age you'll be making a lot more).

Thanks Luis. Because this is civil service I have to take one exam (interview) to get on a list to be eligible to take exams for specific jobs. And because it is civil service they ask the most ridiculous touchy-feely questions. I'd much rather have a semitechnical exam. Instead its -

Explain a situation when have you ever had to compromise.

Explain a situation working with a diverse work crew.

Etc.

And it's impossible to guess what sort of psuedo psychological question they might ask.

B.S. Geological Engineering & Geology '01

P.E. Oct '06

G.I.T. '03

Taking P.G. Exam March 2007

5 1/2 years experience with a small civil/env/geotech engineering consulting firm (~70 people)

doing mostly geotech work

Wyoming

mid 50k's

BS Physics (92)

M Architecture (98)

EIT (03)

PE (06)

Working since 97

Electrical Engineer, CA

$65K

Ok, how am I making more in Florida as a P.E. than a P.E. in California? Something is not right, I have 5.5 years experience.

RleonPE

I don't think I ever my info:

BCE 2000

MS 2006

EIT 1999

PE ??? (April 2007!!!)

Employed @ state University in research

$55k

BS Civil 98

MS Environmental 02

EIT

4 yrs experience

environmental consulting

South florida 57K

BS Civil Engineering 1998PLS 2002

PE 2005

Mississippi

Self Employed

gross 400k

net 120k, plus all boats, cars expenses, pretty much paid for.

I am somehow still broke all the time?
I want to go self employed after I am licensed. Got any tips for me? :reading:

BS Mechanical EngineeringPE - just passed and my company doesn't recognize / require it, so no extra $$

10 years out of school (has it really been that long?) all in manufacturing

Manufacturing, specializing in maintenance practices, PM, PdM, and more recently process engineering with some pretty cool electroplating / plasma processing of materials.

Columbia, Missouri
Is your company not an engineering firm or does not do any actual design? Seems like they should recognize it if they have any PE's in the company stamping plans, otherwise they would not be in business.

Back