Salary by Discipline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being over in the sandbox has changed my numbers drastically:
BSCE, P.E.

Project Engineer

Current Base: $72K/yr (Fed. Gov't so it typically goes up a few $K every year)

Stand. OT (25hrs/wk): $48K/yr

Add. OT (usually another 12hrs/wk): $24K/yr

Post Diff. Bonus (35%): $25K/yr

Danger Pay (35%): $25K/yr

Relocation (25%): $18K/yr

Total: $212K/yr

Of course you have to work 8,000 miles away from your family 7 days a week and they tend to shoot rockets and mortars at you on occasion, but the experience so far has been second to none and I have no regrets about coming over here whatsoever.
Wow that's not bad. Is that on a GS type schedule? That's even better than military pay out there.
Yes, I am on a GS schedule. There are still guys over here with contractors who are making a lot more than that.

I am curious to see what salaries are according to engineering discipline, PE or not, location, years of experience, and type of work (consulting, government, etc.) I'm not sure how to create a poll on this so I'll start off:
Civil Eng.

PE (passed in April '06)

: :wv: :

4.5 years exp

state government

40k-50k
Transportation Engineer

PE (passed April 2010)

WA

3.5 years experience

State Department of Transportation

60k-65k (est ~75k incl. benefits)

Last edited by a moderator:
BS Mechanical Engineering ('03)

MS Materials Science and Engineering ('05)

Passed EIT in '04. Just took PE in Oct '10

State: Texas.

5 years of experience out of college.

$58 K, which is 15% less than my previous salary at other company in '09. The company did large workforce reduction.

Do you think companies are taking advantage of current economic situation?

BSCE ('00)+12 hours toward MSCE

Passed EIT in '99. Just took PE in Oct '06

Passed SE 2 in April '09. Failed SE 3 (WA) in Oct '10 - (Oregon had a zero percent pass rate)

State: Oregon.

10 years of experience out of college.

$57K, which is 15% less than my previous salary at other company in '08. The company hired me just after designing/building a 3 million dollar bldg for themselves (a 5-digit figure of overhead).

Now, I am a Civil PE+SE2 (can't seem to pass the WA SE III) with a 10% paycut which puts me at $51300. No bonuses, no Holidays.

At least I'm working on the side for my own firm making about $20k extra a year...

I'd really like to find a job that pays around $75k/yr without working on the side. At least I would be focused on one thing and not being covert about my sidework during my 7am-5pm job.

SIGH...

Yes. I work for a large const. company which has basically ALL the power work right now. End result, they're taking away living allowance/per diem for their salaried employees who live away from home because "we've got nowhere else to go." Ends up being nearly a $42k pay cut/yr.

Yes. I work for a large const. company which has basically ALL the power work right now. End result, they're taking away living allowance/per diem for their salaried employees who live away from home because "we've got nowhere else to go." Ends up being nearly a $42k pay cut/yr.

Although I would bet a lot of companies are doing this, my company is not. Even though the economy is down we are doing really well (go natural gas!!!). In the past year we have been given a raise (3% company wide), a one time bonus (3% of base salary) and we were just told they would be paying out the annual bonus (last year it was 20% of base salary).

Depending on how big the bonus is this year I have a good chance of topping 80K.

Depending on how big the bonus is this year I have a good chance of topping 80K.
Pffffft! 80k? You may as well be digging ditches. How are you ever going to afford your own plane making that? ;)

Although I would bet a lot of companies are doing this, my company is not. Even though the economy is down we are doing really well (go natural gas!!!). In the past year we have been given a raise (3% company wide), a one time bonus (3% of base salary) and we were just told they would be paying out the annual bonus (last year it was 20% of base salary).

Doesn't matter to us. 3 combined cycle plants going up right now and they're still screwing us!

Pffffft! 80k? You may as well be digging ditches. How are you ever going to afford your own plane making that? ;)
Well this Nigerian prince has promised me a bunch of money for helping him out. I figure the money I get from him should be plenty for a plane.

Good luck! I just won all the money Nigeria had in the lotto! I didn't even know that I entered, but I won! I've got about $10k being wired to an account right now to cover the paperwork, but they promised I'd get it all back along with my millions.

Good luck! I just won all the money Nigeria had in the lotto! I didn't even know that I entered, but I won! I've got about $10k being wired to an account right now to cover the paperwork, but they promised I'd get it all back along with my millions.
lucky..... gosh.... :bananadoggywow:

BE - Civil5.5 yrs exp hydraulic engineer

PE

fed govt

mid-60's

hollecow...

why u all get high pay...

my friend from malaysia just get about 30k
30k is like gas station worker wages where I am, I make like 85k a year. It just all depends on the cost of living in your area, if you can get a 6 pack of beer for 50 cents you dont need to make 100k a year to live well. OF course there is always the technology issue, no matter where you live a lap top or other technology will cost you a fortune when compared to your income, so all things are not equal.

Pardon the bump from the dead.

82k base

9k Education Reimbursement

12.3k Bonus

Total: 103k

3.5 years exp

B.S. ChemE

P.E. Civil

Oil Industry

BS EE '01

5 years engineering experience (5 years Army before that)

PE last week

Consulting firm, Ohio

$65K

BS CSYS '94

MS ITM '04

17 years of engineering experience (with a few wars thrown in for good measure)

$93k/year + housing

reward of serving our nation: priceless!

I can't imagine what I'll do when I retire at age 51... but it won't be for the money!

BSEE

MS - Information Systems (more of a business degree)

About $120 K

I work in gvt now for 8 years but previously in private industry for about 16 years.

I live in CA so make the proper adjustments. I think it's like 70 K in Kentucky or something like that.

Plus it's certainly possible to make substantially more, and some people on this site do but they probably won't post.

I'm old and I've been working a long time. :eek:ld-025:

Does anyone know how much salaries dipped since the recession hit? I know there is a big surplus of Civil grads out there, so one could safely assume that the going rate is lower than when I started 4.5 years ago. Before long, we'll have a ton of highly educated (Master's degrees), low experience engineers.

Latest posts

Back