Salary by Discipline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BS EET ('96)Passed EIT in '98

Took Oct. '07 PE (EE - Power depth)

Worked as contract engineer for consulting firm for 3 years - 40k/yr

Since '99 worked as distribution engineer one large utility company and two small utilities.

Current title - Operations Supervisor

Current salary 70k/yr plus company truck

Middle Georgia
Updated

PE - April 2009

Promoted to VP of Engineering

Current Salary $94k/year plus still have company vehicle

I don't sign or stamp anything and my boss kept telling me the PE wasn't a requirement for my job. I did it anyway and it got me a $10k/year raise. So anyone that doesn't think its worth getting, I beg to differ!

Civil Engineer/Geotech

Bachelor: 2003

MS: 2005

4.5 years experience

Salary: 70-80k

Live in NYC....so equivalent salary for average US city is likely in the 30k!!!!!!

Reading thru these posts only convinced me of one thing: career change....there's just so little hope for engineers....

2003 - EIT

2008 - PE

BSCE

Project Manager

Georgia

$55K +100% health care, dental, aflak

3 weeks vac.

From what our company president saying is that Civil PE's with 1-2 years post PE experience, the new norm when things turn around is going to be $60-65K + bonuses of around 15K

Last edited by a moderator:
Preparing to take FE in Florida this fall.

Not working as an Engineer yet.

I am an Industrial Controls Electrician on the pads at CCAFS.

With the typical launch overtime $72 k a year with med, dental, holidays, 3 wks vacation.

Hopefully, engineering pays off in longevity - very few rockets left flying out given our current administration's plans for the future.

NY

BScEE --> 97

MScEE --> 05

pass FE --> 09

5 years exp.

$70k-80k --> base

~ $25k overtime

Utilities

wow, been 1 year already...

just closed the books for last year, better than last:

base 110k + 20k in OT

bonues/profit 150k

280k total...unimaginable 5 years ago, honestly...

full health, 401 with 1:1 matching to max allowable ~13k

expenses ~1k/month, give or take

plus picked up another 6% of the company stock...

did some work on the side, maybe 25k or so, not much free time...

this may seem like 'bragging', but honestly I'm just laying it out in print to convince myself it's real...I'm very lucky and thankful...and I know it...

my employees on average got 3 times the bonuses they have in the past, and high performers 5 to 7 times...

we gave an extra 3 holidays, plus gave those with 15 years service an extra week of vacation, held the cost on healthcare and all got raises...

it's the only way I cn justify my compensation, share, because, honestly, a piece inside me thinks it is excessive, although in the scheme of things, it's not...

make it while you can because there are no gurantees

BS 02 Industrial Engineering

MS 10 Occupational Safety & Health Engineering

PE (retaking in October 10)

75k base (plus overtime & 4% annual) - State Government

Thought this was an interesting thread and wanted to share.

BSME 2007

Mechanical Designer

2 1/2 years Experience

55K + 10k Bonus

Full Benefits

Reading through these post, def. sounds like a career change is needed.

Being over in the sandbox has changed my numbers drastically:

BSCE, P.E.

Project Engineer

Current Base: $72K/yr (Fed. Gov't so it typically goes up a few $K every year)

Stand. OT (25hrs/wk): $48K/yr

Add. OT (usually another 12hrs/wk): $24K/yr

Post Diff. Bonus (35%): $25K/yr

Danger Pay (35%): $25K/yr

Relocation (25%): $18K/yr

Total: $212K/yr

Of course you have to work 8,000 miles away from your family 7 days a week and they tend to shoot rockets and mortars at you on occasion, but the experience so far has been second to none and I have no regrets about coming over here whatsoever.

'Fraid not...we still get bent over by Uncle Sam. Of course that's where our pay comes from so I guess I can't complain too much. They've been talking about going tax free for us DOD civilians to try and get more people to volunteer, but they've been saying that for years.

I suppose I'd rather have the "dilema" of paying the taxes on $212K -vs- $55K I was making before I came back to the USACE.

BSEE 2006

Engineer II is my "HR Job Title"

Coming up on 4 yrs exp. in Utilities (IOU)

Sit for PE April 2010

62K base

Required on-call rotation, no overtime comp (averages to 5-8 hrs a week, but the hours come in big chunks when you're on call)

Bonus 6-9.5%, based solely on company financials, overall O&M Expenses.

14 days vacation

Health, Dental, Vision, employee contributes about 20% of the monthly premiums

Raises are maybe 2% on rough years, 4% on good years. Mid-year raises supposedly exist, but nobody has seen one in a few years, even pre-economy crap.

Lot of the senior guys around here are just over 90K a year, same situation as me only more years (25+) PE is of no value right now in our company. So I guess I know what I have to look forward to wage wise.

Being over in the sandbox has changed my numbers drastically:
BSCE, P.E.

Project Engineer

Current Base: $72K/yr (Fed. Gov't so it typically goes up a few $K every year)

Stand. OT (25hrs/wk): $48K/yr

Add. OT (usually another 12hrs/wk): $24K/yr

Post Diff. Bonus (35%): $25K/yr

Danger Pay (35%): $25K/yr

Relocation (25%): $18K/yr

Total: $212K/yr

Of course you have to work 8,000 miles away from your family 7 days a week and they tend to shoot rockets and mortars at you on occasion, but the experience so far has been second to none and I have no regrets about coming over here whatsoever.
Wow that's not bad. Is that on a GS type schedule? That's even better than military pay out there.

'Fraid not...we still get bent over by Uncle Sam. Of course that's where our pay comes from so I guess I can't complain too much. They've been talking about going tax free for us DOD civilians to try and get more people to volunteer, but they've been saying that for years.
I suppose I'd rather have the "dilema" of paying the taxes on $212K -vs- $55K I was making before I came back to the USACE.
Yeah. You "wealthy" Americans need to pay. At least that's what I hear. :smileyballs:

Yeah. You "wealthy" Americans need to pay. At least that's what I hear. :smileyballs:
It's funny how the definition of "rich" changes depending on political need.

I always get the distinct feeling like I am being screwed whenever I see this thread...

Latest posts

Back