Response From Employer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am waiting to here next week what I will get, raise?...or let go?

Anybody else have any actual news on raise/promotions?

My company didn't give a penny rise, when a girl passed P.E. last October'2009. They gave a reason for economy and at the end of the year, they gave a $1 raise. Hopefully, they won't give the same reason for me.

My company didn't give a penny rise, when a girl passed P.E. last October'2009. They gave a reason for economy and at the end of the year, they gave a $1 raise. Hopefully, they won't give the same reason for me.
I assume that's a $1/yr raise, if so that is incredibly insulting. I hope she had some words for her boss.

I assume that's a $1/yr raise, if so that is incredibly insulting. I hope she had some words for her boss.

Speak for yourself. That will buy an entire McDouble with cheese, less sales tax.

That's a nice one Supe. Most of the employers in my area had a freeze in raises. Every employer is giving some excuse, no matter how much you are earning them.

I don't think people should expect an automatic raise after becoming a PE. If your job is the same today as it was yesterday, don't expect much. Remember, if your company thinks they could keep you for less money, they will do that. It's basically an energy problem. It takes a whole lot more money to attract new talent to your company (especially if they have a PE) than it takes to keep those at rest with your firm.

For my firm, I don't expect one. But that is because the field of work I do, the PE is not a full time requirement. Now, my boss encouraged me to take it, paid for the exam and registration fee. Even gave me the day off to take the exam. We are a very small firm, with only 1 PE, being one of the three partners. We have 4 staff engineers, none with a PE. Our PE rate is higher than our senior engineer rate.

Sure, I'd like a raise, but if I don't get one I'm not going to pack my bags. I may look around some, but in my industry and locale, pickings are slim. But my company has been treating me very well up to this point since I have a lot of practical field/construction experience prior to coming to this design firm. I've been doing project management and client development since I walked in the door. Design work has been what I've relearned over the last few years. I've managed on average a 3-5% raise every year so far, even in a slow economy. My responsibilities are not going to change much if I do manage to pass the PE. For those reasons, I won't be disappointed if I don't receive one. Bottom line, I'm happy here though if I could shorten my commute, that would be nice...

However, I've dodged my boss's question every time when he asks about my "five year plan". Don't want him thinking I'm too happy...

When engineering firm owner or VP gave a new PE a raise that doesn’t mean he is giving from his own pocket. As he/she learn about your PE, they will upgrade your charge rate to the client from an assistant engineer to an associate engineer which is most of the time $10-25$ difference. All what new PE is asking for is a small percentage of the $10-$25.

Bottom line “Don’t let your boss fool you with that your job hasn’t change as you became a PE”. For sure his charged rate increase and that should not be fair to a new PE.

Several years ago when I passed the PE, I got a couple of dollars per hour raise but the economy was much better then. I did get a promotion to go along with the raise. When I pass the SE, I am hoping for some kind of raise.
I received a raise when I passed the PE, but did not when I passed the S1 and don't expect one if I pass the SII, although it certainly would be nice! They will pay for the SII exam when I pass it, and sure hope its the first time at $700+ a pop!

I'm not expecting a raise since I work for a super-large corporate giant. I simply like the idea of being more marketable in the future.

We are a very small firm, with only 1 PE, being one of the three partners. We have 4 staff engineers, none with a PE. Our PE rate is higher than our senior engineer rate.
Sure, I'd like a raise, but if I don't get one I'm not going to pack my bags. I may look around some, but in my industry and locale, pickings are slim.
Only one partner (of 3) holds a license? your firm wouldn't be able to practice in my state (2/3 of principals must hold professional license). I get what you're saying about slim opps and minimal change in your job tasks, it certainly doesn't hurt to sit comfortably until opps start coming back around. Just don't ever discount the value holding that license can bring to you and potentially your firm - the offer of partnership is sometimes necessary for their survival, not just an incentive to dangle.

So I'm curious, are people still getting furlough and pay cuts now? Has it picked up for your industry?

So I'm curious, are people still getting furlough and pay cuts now? Has it picked up for your industry?
No furloughs after July 1 (none that have been announced yet at least), just a straight pay cut. I love less money without the benefit of a day off to make up for it.

We are a very small firm, with only 1 PE, being one of the three partners. We have 4 staff engineers, none with a PE. Our PE rate is higher than our senior engineer rate.
Sure, I'd like a raise, but if I don't get one I'm not going to pack my bags. I may look around some, but in my industry and locale, pickings are slim.
Only one partner (of 3) holds a license? your firm wouldn't be able to practice in my state (2/3 of principals must hold professional license). I get what you're saying about slim opps and minimal change in your job tasks, it certainly doesn't hurt to sit comfortably until opps start coming back around. Just don't ever discount the value holding that license can bring to you and potentially your firm - the offer of partnership is sometimes necessary for their survival, not just an incentive to dangle.

I agree, even if your company doesn't significantly change your billing rate trust me it matters to your company.

If you are like me often out conversing with clients, most really like to see the PE next to your name, that is a big benefit to your employer.

Personally I passed the PE 1 year ago ---no pay raise, however in this economy I am trying not to get my panties in a bunch about it.

That does not mean that I will allow the situation to go on forever, ---probably just until my girlfriend gets out of nursing school.

Back