Response From Employer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My company has an automatic $5k raise once you pass the PE, which is about $2.50 an hour since we are not salary. Since we are in consulting, they are able to bill us out at a higher rate... Its completely separate from our regular raises, so I think its pretty fair.

My company reimburses the exam and licensing fees...
My boss has been generous in reimbursing for the books and exam fee even though I failed the exam (I know must be thinking how that works). I guess I and also he was pretty confident the first time, which for sure didn't go the way we expected. For the second attempt (still waiting on result) I am not going to ask for any reimbursement. I even don't know if getting PE license would bring any raise as my job profile and/or company's work doesn't need necessarily one. There could be some opportunity within the company (and the most I can think lawsuits/arbitrations) or corporate but I am not much hopeful on this. However, what I am looking forward to is getting some leverage (if any) when I change my job and that's the only reason I can justify my attempts for.

What if I am already doing the job of a PE just without the title? Does that mean I wouldn't get a raise? I haven't gotten one in about 2 years due to the economy.

What if I am already doing the job of a PE just without the title? Does that mean I wouldn't get a raise? I haven't gotten one in about 2 years due to the economy.

Once again if you now have to stamp plans. You are taking more liability and deserve a raise, whether or not you'll get one who knows!

Received notice I passed.

Now I will see if my employer steps up to the plate or not.

Civil, geotechnical

I am right there with you. Everyone in my company had an across the board salary cut of 10% last year, and I just recently had my salary reinstated last Christmas (ahead of most), so I am thankful for that. I don't really expect a raise if I do end up passing the PE, but I will definitely look around to see what is available. This is probably the worst employment environment for civil engineers in the last 50 years (I am guessing), but I can only control the work that I perform and not the market. My thoughts are that it is tough out there for employers too, and if you don't think you are getting paid what you are worth, search for something better.

Last edited by a moderator:
well if you are allready doing the job of a PE and then you pass the exam and get your license, it will provide you with leverage to go to your immediate supervisor and negotiate an increase in salary. The worst that can happen is they say no and you start to look elsewhere and stay where you are at until you find something different.

the most imporant thing would be to sit down with your employer and discuss your future with the company now that you have your PE.

If you are already doing the job of a PE (i.e. producing, reviewing, and stamping final documents for construction) and you are an EIT, then you are breaking the law.

If you are already doing the job of a PE (i.e. producing, reviewing, and stamping final documents for construction) and you are an EIT, then you are breaking the law.
What I was trying to say (and I think the other poster was saying the same thing) is that we are doing the work of a PE, then our supervisor (PE) checks everything and puts their stamp on it. Basically I am technically at the same level of other PE's, but all of my work must be reviewed by a PE.

What I was trying to say (and I think the other poster was saying the same thing) is that we are doing the work of a PE, then our supervisor (PE) checks everything and puts their stamp on it. Basically I am technically at the same level of other PE's, but all of my work must be reviewed by a PE.
Well, if your company has to pay somebody to check your work before it goes out, then you are not doing the work of a PE. At my last job, we had CAD operators, skilled designers, and EITs all doing the same work, and it being checked by PEs before it went out the door. They were all paid different wages dictated by their experience, education, and credentials. Until you have all 3 pieces of the puzzle (education, experience, exam), you are not a PE and should not be paid as such. There are lots of people that "do the work" of a PE and get paid less than you do. Difference is that you have the ability to get paid a PE's wage...others don't.

Well, if your company has to pay somebody to check your work before it goes out, then you are not doing the work of a PE. At my last job, we had CAD operators, skilled designers, and EITs all doing the same work, and it being checked by PEs before it went out the door. They were all paid different wages dictated by their experience, education, and credentials. Until you have all 3 pieces of the puzzle (education, experience, exam), you are not a PE and should not be paid as such. There are lots of people that "do the work" of a PE and get paid less than you do. Difference is that you have the ability to get paid a PE's wage...others don't.
I see your point, and agree for the most part... hopefully that final piece of the puzzle will come through for me soon. I want to make that next step, but the opportunities for advancement here look limited at the moment.

Was just informed that I'm not any smarter today than yesterday but I'm now over qualified when yesterday I wasn't...........

Was just informed that I'm not any smarter today than yesterday but I'm now over qualified when yesterday I wasn't...........

True.

But, a PE has the power to consult public on engineering issues. An EIT can do consulting with engineers only. That is the main difference, and that difference costs money.

also don't forget that chargeout rate is generally inversely proportional to % chargeable - thus as your billed rate will be higher, your % billable would likely reduce from what it was as EIT.

Consultant companies typically make their most profit off of the lower tiered employees (CAD Techs, EIT's, etc), and the more senior guys tend to bill out closer to a break even rate (once you include overhead). They rarely bill out employees at rates where they lose money.

My company reimburses the exam and licensing fees...
My boss has been generous in reimbursing for the books and exam fee even though I failed the exam (I know must be thinking how that works). I guess I and also he was pretty confident the first time, which for sure didn't go the way we expected. For the second attempt (still waiting on result) I am not going to ask for any reimbursement. I even don't know if getting PE license would bring any raise as my job profile and/or company's work doesn't need necessarily one. There could be some opportunity within the company (and the most I can think lawsuits/arbitrations) or corporate but I am not much hopeful on this. However, what I am looking forward to is getting some leverage (if any) when I change my job and that's the only reason I can justify my attempts for.
This is my situation too...license not really necessary, but my company generally pays for study materials and fees. I took the exam in April for the first time, though. If I don't pass, I'm going to pick up the tab next go around. I think my company would still pay the exam fee to take it again, but I just wouldn't feel right. The company I work for is pretty small (engineering staff-wise) and it seems that all the engineers end up going for their PE license for the sake of the accomplishment. I guess that's kind of why I took the exam. That and because if I don't get my license, it will only be a matter of time before I carry the mark of shame of being the only unlicensed engineer in the group.

Our company (a small-mid size consulting firm in the South) gives a 2k pay bump by default. Usually a title (& responsibility) change follow shortly thereafter, and usually the pay gets bumped a bit for that, too. I just got the good news today, so I'll see how well this holds in today's economy.

My folks typically give a 10% increase, but at the same time we haven't had a raise in about 3 years (actually have taken a 3% cut via 6 furlough days implemented last year). In my world, a PE opens the doors to much higher paying positions but will probably need to find a new employer to realize these new opportunities.

I think this would be typical for most arenas were a PE is valued. If they hired you as an EIT or less, you will always remain that to them, even after you’re a PE. If you take a new job elsewhere with a PE, they see you as a PE. On average, the lowest paid PE's at my place of employment are those that when from EIT to PE. Those that hired in as PE make significantly more.

Back