Repeat Takers who Passed: Any Advice?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EET gives you the option to do live online or on-demand.  The live classes are all-day Saturdays and there are additional videos during the week to review problems.  I personally did the on-demand option (at a lesser cost IIRC) because of my work/family schedule.  Along with the videos, EET provides a ton of practice problems. They're quality problems - very much like the ones you'll see on the test.  The key to success is to do ALL of the problems.  So, yes, there's definitely additional time needed on top of watching the videos.  You'll need to devote the same if not more time to doing practice problems.  For the WRE, I didn't need to spend time reviewing other materials beyond what the EET class provided (this may differ for different depth modules depending on what the instructor advises).
Thank you!!! 

so for the on demand option, you are able to watch them whenever? 

did you do depth and breadth or just depth? 

im sorry for all of the questions, i would just really like to approach this better for next time!

The EET WRE depth is worth every penny.  I couldn't have passed without it.  There wasn't a WRE topic on the test that EET had not covered.  
I love to hear this! I signed up the for depth this morning.

Would you say you were confident on almost every answer in the afternoon?

Thank you!!! 

so for the on demand option, you are able to watch them whenever? 

did you do depth and breadth or just depth? 

im sorry for all of the questions, i would just really like to approach this better for next time!
Check out my profile to see posts from some of my other reviews of the EET course.  I did SOPE my first attempt and the EET (WRE depth only) for my second, successful attempt.  Yes, you can watch them whenever.  It's best to try to keep yourself on a schedule.  I personally made up a spreadsheet of all the videos and tried to keep myself on-track with watching and completing problems within a set time frame (trying to complete them weekly as if I was watching live classes).

I love to hear this! I signed up the for depth this morning.

Would you say you were confident on almost every answer in the afternoon?
Awesome!  Best of luck to you  - you totally got this!!  Make sure to do those practice problems!

Well, I won't say that.  Ha...I mean, that darn test really makes you question your ability to add 2 and 2 without questioning yourself (or is that just me?? :p ).  But I was definitely 1000x more confident than the first time I took it.  Unlike my first attempt, in the afternoon, I got through about 20 of the depth problems, confidently, in the first 1.5 hours of the test.  It still took me the full 4 hrs to complete, but having those +/- 20 out of the way gave me the time I needed for the harder ones.  I put a question mark beside the ones I wasn't absolutely 100% sure on, and when I was done, there were probably 8-10 question marks.  For me, those tended to be the concept questions.  

Awesome!  Best of luck to you  - you totally got this!!  Make sure to do those practice problems!

Well, I won't say that.  Ha...I mean, that darn test really makes you question your ability to add 2 and 2 without questioning yourself (or is that just me?? :p ).  But I was definitely 1000x more confident than the first time I took it.  Unlike my first attempt, in the afternoon, I got through about 20 of the depth problems, confidently, in the first 1.5 hours of the test.  It still took me the full 4 hrs to complete, but having those +/- 20 out of the way gave me the time I needed for the harder ones.  I put a question mark beside the ones I wasn't absolutely 100% sure on, and when I was done, there were probably 8-10 question marks.  For me, those tended to be the concept questions.  
No it for sure questions ones ability :)  Each time I walked out of that exam, I felt decent at least. But clearly it wasn't enough. Well hey that's still 80% of the problems you locked in. That's big. I really am excited to see how the material is put together.

I passed the 2nd time in WRE. I highly recommend EET! My weakness was in breadth. I don't feel like EET is as strong in breadth as they are in depth (specifically speaking about WRE). I should say, their content is good but their instructors just weren't my style, so I went over the content on my own. As for the depth... Nasrul is the man! He genuinely cares about your success, and he guarantees it. 

The only thing I took with me in to the exam was my EET binders and the cerm. I used the cerm on maybe 2 problems, that's it. 

Look at your diagnostics and see what areas you need to improve on... and do as many practice problems as you can. 
What did you do differently the second time to pass, specifically breadth? I took WRE depth the second time and still failed. Going to re-take depth and add EET breadth, is there a better breadth option do you think?

I took the exam twice. The first time, I did very limited studying and failed transportation - 48/80. 

The second time around, I took the EET breadth/depth review course. I studied for 2 months leading up to the exam - almost every day and more on weekends. I watched approximately 2/3 of the course videos (I did not spend time on areas where I did well per my diagnostic) and did practice exams/practice tests. I found the EET classes, videos, and simulation exam (very difficult, IMO) to be exactly what I needed to pass the second time. I have a family so the on-demand course was flexible and perfect for me. I highly recommend EET - the notes were well organized and they include references/tables to commonly used reference manuals like AASHTO, HCM, etc. which were very helpful. The teachers explain the material very well and are available to give additional guidance should you need it.

The CERM was useful as a supplement to anything EET did not cover. I spent a good deal of time organizing/tabbing my binders. Organization was critical for me on the second go. Best of luck to everyone taking it again. Please don't psych yourselves out, stay calm, and do your best.

What did you do differently the second time to pass, specifically breadth? I took WRE depth the second time and still failed. Going to re-take depth and add EET breadth, is there a better breadth option do you think?
You know what...I have to be honest here; I didn't really change much of my studying. My studying was just more focused on the areas I did the worst on according to the exam diagnostics. When it came to EET stuff, I mostly just went through the binders on my own instead of following along with the online webinars....especially Breadth. I focused more on getting practice problems done, which the EET binders provide PLENTY!

Other than that, I got out of my head a little bit.....took a deep breath, and strangely found a way to relax more. I firmly believe you can play mind games with yourself and psych yourself out. If you fall into this category, please take my advice and STOP! I may not know any of you personally, but I do know that if you're taking this exam, you must have passed the FE Exam. And if you passed the FE Exam, you graduated college. And if you did all that......you ARE smart enough to pass this **** test. Reassure yourself of those simple facts. Figure out a way to relax and breathe. Do some yoga, meditation, or just go on a hike and clear your head!

I hope this info helps. Bottom line is you feel like you need to take a prep class, go for it. Either way, believe in yourself, work hard, and relax. Best of luck!

Also, if you take the EET WRE Depth course, you learn about what Nazrul calls the "friend equation". It's the friend equation because after you learn it, and learn how to use it, you end up using it so much in the afternoon session that it becomes your friend! Ha, ha! I found this to be true. Anyone else?

Also, if you take the EET WRE Depth course, you learn about what Nazrul calls the "friend equation". It's the friend equation because after you learn it, and learn how to use it, you end up using it so much in the afternoon session that it becomes your friend! Ha, ha! I found this to be true. Anyone else?
Absolutely!  

Absolutely!  
Looking forward to this equation ha. It better answer every single problem :)   :party-smiley-048:

I took it in Geotechnical, failed in April and passed in October.   I work for a utility and we don’t get into any single depth too deep.  I couldn’t decide between Geotechnical, WRE, and Construction. I took School of PE the second time and highly recommend it.  They’ll give you a road map of how to succeed.  Then, just like college, I made a plan and executed the plan.   For ten weeks I studied three to four hours a night.  As I left the FE four years ago and PE two month ago I felt terrible because I knew I couldn’t do any better than I did that day and I didn’t have confidence I passed.  Sure I could have studied a little longer or a little more effectively but at the end of the day there’s only so much you can do.   Make your time count, figure out what you need to study, make a plan, and execute the plan!

I took school of PE.  I started with the Geotechnical AM section, finished the AM, retook the Am Geotech, then moved on to afternoon.  I made sure to have my notes and conceptual topics in order.  There are too many topics to go into the test and know everything about everything.  

For the exam I took the CERM, school of PE notes and Coduto principals of geotechnical engineering.  Sure could have taken other resources but there’s finite time in the exam. 

Hope this helps.   DON’T GIVE UP!
Great advice! It's great to hear that School of PE was able to help you. Feel free to leave us a Facebook review

Great advice! It's great to hear that School of PE was able to help you. Feel free to leave us a Facebook review
School of PE underprepared me, from my experience and from what others have been saying, EET is much better and more relevant.  I wish I saved my $1170 and spent it on the EET class instead.

Because I've been out of school for so long (13 years), I'm leaning towards the EET course for Civil - Construction. But I think I need to take the math and calculator refresher course offered by SOPE. That's my plan of attack.

To everyone who failed their PE exam this past October, I know the disappointment you are currently feeling. I took my first exam in April of 2017 and after studying my butt off I failed. Not only did I fail, but I didn't even come close to the average of the other examinees. What I did the second time around and what I would strongly recommend anyone else doing, is taking some type of course. Other engineers close to me that failed their first time around and succeeded their second, and also others that passed their first time used the aide of online courses. My personal preference was EET. I will not lie to you about the amount of work you will be doing, it is going to be a large load, but for me it was completely worth it. I had a lot of issues cutting out the fat of the CERM and really hitting the areas hard that I needed to pass. EET helps you do that and I imagine some of the others like PPI and School of PE do the same. The professors focus on areas that the exam will test for and point out questions that have a high probability of being on the exam. I took WRE for depth and Nazrul (instructor) really helped me whenever I had issues or concerns. I'm sure most of you are feeling down, because that is exactly how I felt. Keep your head up and know that when you do pass the exam all of this will make the accomplishment of your PE so much more worthwhile!

I took both depth and breadth with EET's WRE class.  This is a time consuming course, and I got permission from my husband to ignore him for 4 months while I studied and ate dinner without him.  I have the following tips for these classes:

1. Remember- this is a question of answering the minimum number of questions correctly.  If there are some you have no clue on, that is okay.  Move on.  You will want to solve every problem.  Move on and come back to it. 

2.  For the morning..."if you have studied the material and the problem looks too hard, you are looking at it wrong. Move on and come back to it.  I finished the morning in 3 hours with 2 questions left where I said "I have no clue".  I guessed on those 2 and saved my brain for the afternoon.  That gave me a 2 hour lunch break to recuperate.  4 others from the live class were outside the test rooms when I left. 

The afternoon tips I have for EET WRE: 

Use the "cheat sheets" and tables while you do your homework.  Learn how to use every one. Knowing how to use every one will be the difference between finishing and not finishing. 

On the "cheat sheets", I wrote notes like "pump affinity laws - pg. 31" and "most efficient section - pg. 11".  Those were quick references so I could just work with tables.

Back