Repeat Takers who Passed: Any Advice?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know right, I was telling my wife I would honestly pay an arm and a leg if I could guarantee that I wouldn't be repeating the exam again.  I hope the third time is the charm for us, ain't nobody got time for dat :)   I hope my seismic and survey results are in my favor though, fingers crossed.  Then I can say i'm a 2/3 PE
Absolutely. Well man good luck. Let's talk over these next months and see if we can't help each other out. 

I took School of PE first two attempts and failed both times, I felt they underprepared, now for my third attempt this coming April 2018, I plan to take the EET course since everyone including a few of my coworkers that took it and passed!  Hopefully the third time is a charm, **** this exam, I actually did worse the second time, even though i studied so much more, my social life has been nill this past year ugh!!
@CivilPE88...I'm sorry to hear you haven't passed the exam. I'm right there with you bud...earlier this week I got the news that I didn't pass the Mechanical PE exam for the third time. I am now registered for the April '18 exam but still struggling to find a balance between study time, personal life, work, etc.  In my previous 3 attempts, I put in easily 300 hours of studying (~25-30 hrs a week). I basically had a 2nd job and had to neglect virtually every aspect of my life so I could focus on the exam. This fourth time, I need to change something as obviously over-studying is not helping me. Part of the disadvantage I had is that I had to re-learn key concepts and that's where 1/2 my time went. Now, I'm going to spend most of my time doing practice problems and plan on putting in something more manageable like 200 hrs (still 16 hrs a week) starting in mid-Jan so I can find time to keep myself sane and motivated to do this again.

What's your study plan going to be?

@CivilPE88...I'm sorry to hear you haven't passed the exam. I'm right there with you bud...earlier this week I got the news that I didn't pass the Mechanical PE exam for the third time. I am now registered for the April '18 exam but still struggling to find a balance between study time, personal life, work, etc.  In my previous 3 attempts, I put in easily 300 hours of studying (~25-30 hrs a week). I basically had a 2nd job and had to neglect virtually every aspect of my life so I could focus on the exam. This fourth time, I need to change something as obviously over-studying is not helping me. Part of the disadvantage I had is that I had to re-learn key concepts and that's where 1/2 my time went. Now, I'm going to spend most of my time doing practice problems and plan on putting in something more manageable like 200 hrs (still 16 hrs a week) starting in mid-Jan so I can find time to keep myself sane and motivated to do this again.

What's your study plan going to be?
I'm sorry you didn't pass on your third attempt as well, but I know we all will eventually!  Ive pretty much applied the same study methods as you mentioned above, but this time around, I intend on just working on practice problems, to drill the concepts in my head along with supplemental EET notes i'm borrowing from my coworker.

I'm sorry you didn't pass on your third attempt as well, but I know we all will eventually!  Ive pretty much applied the same study methods as you mentioned above, but this time around, I intend on just working on practice problems, to drill the concepts in my head along with supplemental EET notes i'm borrowing from my coworker.
Thanks... and exactly right.. at this time we know the material.. we just need to practice practice practice and drill stuff into our heads... good luck to you man! And kudos for not giving up...

Thanks... and exactly right.. at this time we know the material.. we just need to practice practice practice and drill stuff into our heads... good luck to you man! And kudos for not giving up...
same to you brother, be stronger than the exam, everyone has their personal struggles in life, the 8 hr exam is currently mine, we got this!

On another note, the new Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom movie trailer comes out sometime today, so that's great news haha

same to you brother, be stronger than the exam, everyone has their personal struggles in life, the 8 hr exam is currently mine, we got this!

On another note, the new Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom movie trailer comes out sometime today, so that's great news haha
Personally I can't wait for the new Star Wars to come out...we need other things to look forward to besides the next PE exam  :D

I took Power and passed 2nd time. I self studied first time, a review course the second. I can't say that the review course was the reason for passing or not, but it did help. I started earlier and changed study habits. I've said this to another person, keep switching up your practice exams/problems. Take the NCEES practice before, middle and then close to the date of exam of your studying. Try to go into the NCEES practice exam as it's your first time taking it. Same with your other exams. You don't want to memorize problems. Just memorize how you thought through problems because they can ask you anything related to a topic. Feel free to ask any other questions you have. Don't give up.

I took the Civil PE WRE the first time in Oct 2017 and failed with at 56. How many people took the SOPE review courses and pass the first time? I am debating on whether to sign of for repeat courses for free or spend another hefty fee for EET. I heard so many positive things about EET and so many people pass the exam by taking the EET.  Any other books or practice exam you would recommend buying besides the NCEES practice exam? Thanks!

I took it in Geotechnical, failed in April and passed in October.   I work for a utility and we don’t get into any single depth too deep.  I couldn’t decide between Geotechnical, WRE, and Construction. I took School of PE the second time and highly recommend it.  They’ll give you a road map of how to succeed.  Then, just like college, I made a plan and executed the plan.   For ten weeks I studied three to four hours a night.  As I left the FE four years ago and PE two month ago I felt terrible because I knew I couldn’t do any better than I did that day and I didn’t have confidence I passed.  Sure I could have studied a little longer or a little more effectively but at the end of the day there’s only so much you can do.   Make your time count, figure out what you need to study, make a plan, and execute the plan!

I took school of PE.  I started with the Geotechnical AM section, finished the AM, retook the Am Geotech, then moved on to afternoon.  I made sure to have my notes and conceptual topics in order.  There are too many topics to go into the test and know everything about everything.  

For the exam I took the CERM, school of PE notes and Coduto principals of geotechnical engineering.  Sure could have taken other resources but there’s finite time in the exam. 

Hope this helps.   DON’T GIVE UP!

I took the Civil PE WRE the first time in Oct 2017 and failed with at 56. How many people took the SOPE review courses and pass the first time? I am debating on whether to sign of for repeat courses for free or spend another hefty fee for EET. I heard so many positive things about EET and so many people pass the exam by taking the EET.  Any other books or practice exam you would recommend buying besides the NCEES practice exam? Thanks!
I passed the 2nd time in WRE. I highly recommend EET! My weakness was in breadth. I don't feel like EET is as strong in breadth as they are in depth (specifically speaking about WRE). I should say, their content is good but their instructors just weren't my style, so I went over the content on my own. As for the depth... Nasrul is the man! He genuinely cares about your success, and he guarantees it. 

The only thing I took with me in to the exam was my EET binders and the cerm. I used the cerm on maybe 2 problems, that's it. 

Look at your diagnostics and see what areas you need to improve on... and do as many practice problems as you can. 

I looked at the EET schedule online and it looked like alot of the classes were all day on saturdays (ie 8-5 or 8-4) did anyone take EET that could provide some insight on this course? are the classes really that long on saturdays?

If you did take this course, how much additional studying did you do on top of the class? i am just wondering if it will be helpful or overwhelming? 

You failed with a raw score of 70%?!?! Or do you mean 56%?

I'm also WRE.  I took SOPE the first time and EET (WRE depth only) the second time.  I went ahead and signed up for the free repeat with SOPE - and then printed the new notes and reviewed them before the test - I didn't have time to rewatch the on-demand videos.  The EET WRE depth is worth every penny.  I couldn't have passed without it.  There wasn't a WRE topic on the test that EET had not covered.  

I looked at the EET schedule online and it looked like alot of the classes were all day on saturdays (ie 8-5 or 8-4) did anyone take EET that could provide some insight on this course? are the classes really that long on saturdays?

If you did take this course, how much additional studying did you do on top of the class? i am just wondering if it will be helpful or overwhelming? 
EET gives you the option to do live online or on-demand.  The live classes are all-day Saturdays and there are additional videos during the week to review problems.  I personally did the on-demand option (at a lesser cost IIRC) because of my work/family schedule.  Along with the videos, EET provides a ton of practice problems. They're quality problems - very much like the ones you'll see on the test.  The key to success is to do ALL of the problems.  So, yes, there's definitely additional time needed on top of watching the videos.  You'll need to devote the same if not more time to doing practice problems.  For the WRE, I didn't need to spend time reviewing other materials beyond what the EET class provided (this may differ for different depth modules depending on what the instructor advises).

Back