Repeat Takers who Passed: Any Advice?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the most part much of the information will be the same.  The main difference is going to be code references and modifications to reflet current test specifications.  This could mean adding or removinga few sections.

If this is the main source then I would go with the current version. If want a more hands on learning experience I'd go with EET. You'll get all the notes and presentations in addition to extra handouts,  practice test, and the ability to ask questions as you go through. 

Here's my spreadsheet for anyone who would like a starting point.  Someone else previously posted something similar to EB that I used as a guide.  

WARNING:  References are the CERM 13 and the particular binders I have.  Test specs are for the Oct 2017 Exam, WRE depth.  This is just an example.  Use at your own risk! 

View attachment 10509
Did you find this useful throughout the exam?

WARNING:  References are the CERM 13 and the particular binders I have.  Test specs are for the Oct 2017 Exam, WRE depth.  This is just an example.  Use at your own risk! 
Nice disclaimer. :thumbs:

Did you find this useful throughout the exam?
Yes!  I had it stuck in the front of my CERM Index and both of my review course binders.  I definitely looked at it a few times to quickly find what I was looking for.  

Yes!  I had it stuck in the front of my CERM Index and both of my review course binders.  I definitely looked at it a few times to quickly find what I was looking for.  
Ok. Cool. I think I will nab it from you and edit as needed. Thank you

I failed on 1st time and passed on 2nd time. the difference is: first time self study and second time followed EET.

Only thing you need to do: TAKE EET AND STUDY HARD.

Here's my spreadsheet for anyone who would like a starting point.  Someone else previously posted something similar to EB that I used as a guide.  

View attachment 10509
Wow, this is fantastic.  Gonna copy this format for the next round.  Thank you so much :)

I failed on 1st time and passed on 2nd time. the difference is: first time self study and second time followed EET.

Only thing you need to do: TAKE EET AND STUDY HARD.
Did you take the EET breadth review course also?

I took School of PE first two attempts and failed both times, I felt they underprepared, now for my third attempt this coming April 2018, I plan to take the EET course since everyone including a few of my coworkers that took it and passed!  Hopefully the third time is a charm, **** this exam, I actually did worse the second time, even though i studied so much more, my social life has been nill this past year ugh!!

Well i failed my first time (civil - transportation) in April 2017 and took it again this October and passed. So i am really glad its done. i used SOPE first time and it did not help me a lot in the afternoon session. SOPE and CERM handbook are good enough for morning session. My score was 49 first time. So I bought EET afternoon session material  and it helped a lot with items that i missed the first time.  Just buckle down starting this month and study hard for next 4 months or so. Also my advise to you specifically for theory questions, read the CERM handbook (some chapters) and you would be glad when you are faced some basic tricky theory questions....Bottom line, just hang in there and study hard and cover all material thoroughly twice (reading material and problems). Make sure you are doing everything atleast 2 times before April.. and then in April, just take tests, solve new problems and just revise..... 

Make sure you are doing everything atleast 2 times before April.. and then in April, just take tests, solve new problems and just revise....
I 100% agree with this. Do the problems in the CERM and Practice Problems book as many times as you can. I know it seems like a waste of time to do the same problems over and over, but it really helps you retain the information better and solve problems faster.

This is probably not something that is in existence, but is the best way to understand the concepts and theory to just read the CERM? I've been taking the WRE exam though I majored in a different engineering discipline in college, so a lot of the material was new for me. I've failed twice now. Took an in-person review course offered by my university the first time, took EET depth the second time. I'm missing something and from the comments here I'm thinking it must be the conceptual stuff. Any advice for that?

I took School of PE first two attempts and failed both times, I felt they underprepared, now for my third attempt this coming April 2018, I plan to take the EET course since everyone including a few of my coworkers that took it and passed!  Hopefully the third time is a charm, **** this exam, I actually did worse the second time, even though i studied so much more, my social life has been nill this past year ugh!!
I feel your pain. I did SOPE and while I feel like they refreshed a lot of concepts for me, I didn't pass either time.  I'd like to try EET even though they don't have an environmental course.  I have heard good things about their WRE course.  Water was my weakest subject on the exam so hoping that will help strengthen the concepts.

I feel your pain. I did SOPE and while I feel like they refreshed a lot of concepts for me, I didn't pass either time.  I'd like to try EET even though they don't have an environmental course.  I have heard good things about their WRE course.  Water was my weakest subject on the exam so hoping that will help strengthen the concepts.
Yeah, I just paid the $350 fee (3rd time = $1050 total) to register for the April 2018 8 hr exam, this is rediculous, financially, mentally, socially, every facet of life suffers through these exams, everything about it sucks, and I feel like it's a huge money grab at this point.   

Yeah, I just paid the $350 fee (3rd time = $1050 total) to register for the April 2018 8 hr exam, this is rediculous, financially, mentally, socially, every facet of life suffers through these exams, everything about it sucks, and I feel like it's a huge money grab at this point.   
I'm sorry :( I know it's frustrating. I'm trying not to add up how much money I've spent on this exam at this point.  Once you get the green box, it will all be worth it. I'm not retaking the exam until October 2018, but I'll be rooting for you!

I feel ya man. I will be registering for the third time too...I guess it SLIGHTLY helps that us who have failed are doing this together. It still doesn't take away from the fact we have to put in more time, energy, money etc into this again but at least we aren't alone.

I feel ya man. I will be registering for the third time too...I guess it SLIGHTLY helps that us who have failed are doing this together. It still doesn't take away from the fact we have to put in more time, energy, money etc into this again but at least we aren't alone.
True, just gotta keep pushing through, failure isn't an option!  Problem is I studied so much the first couple times I really don't know what I would do differently this next time around ugh.  Like I said, i'm going to to try EET and I hope that extra material will give me the additional knowledge I was lacking to get the passing score.

True, just gotta keep pushing through, failure isn't an option!  Problem is I studied so much the first couple times I really don't know what I would do differently this next time around ugh.  Like I said, i'm going to to try EET and I hope that extra material will give me the additional knowledge I was lacking to get the passing score.
Dude I am in the exact same boat as you. I feel like EET is my last option to give that additional, potential new material. I haven't signed up yet but am almost ready to commit. The money at this point is like "meh, what's another $500+" :(  

Dude I am in the exact same boat as you. I feel like EET is my last option to give that additional, potential new material. I haven't signed up yet but am almost ready to commit. The money at this point is like "meh, what's another $500+" :(  
I know right, I was telling my wife I would honestly pay an arm and a leg if I could guarantee that I wouldn't be repeating the exam again.  I hope the third time is the charm for us, ain't nobody got time for dat :)   I hope my seismic and survey results are in my favor though, fingers crossed.  Then I can say i'm a 2/3 PE

Back