Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually got in touch with someone who moved from NY to ID, as a federal employee, and he says it's a littler tight as a GS-09 (but he also has 3 kids + non-working wife, whereas I have no kids and no wife), but totally doable.  He also bought a house, which I don't know if I'd make that leap so quickly depending on stability.
Idaho Falls is really affordable on a GS-9 salary. But it's Idaho... if you're into that sort of thing then it's great. Otherwise....

Idaho Falls is really affordable on a GS-9 salary. But it's Idaho... if you're into that sort of thing then it's great. Otherwise....
My sister had the same exact reaction to Indiana.  She is now like, "Come work for NYC.  Give me your resume."  I love when family members try to save you from yourself.  🤣

I think if there was access to larger airports in the west more people would make the move (not like ATL big, just something  a little bigger than the regional airports)

My kid is going to school in Rapid City, SD and I could totally see myself living there in a semi-retired state, but the main drawback for me is you are a 5+ hour drive to a decent sized airport. On the plus side you do get like a 1lb very fresh steak for $9 bucks :D

I think if there was access to larger airports in the west more people would make the move (not like ATL big, just something  a little bigger than the regional airports)

My kid is going to school in Rapid City, SD and I could totally see myself living there in a semi-retired state, but the main drawback for me is you are a 5+ hour drive to a decent sized airport. On the plus side you do get like a 1lb very fresh steak for $9 bucks :D
Agreed.  with family in the military I find myself traveling to remote locations to go and visit and the inability to fly easily (and for reasonable money) to visit or for them to come back is a royal PITA.  However, TSA is much easier and more pleasant when the airport only has one or two gates and handles about a dozen regional jet flights a day.

yeah we flew the kid home twice and it was $350 bucks for a one way flight from Rapid City to Denver - which is around a 6 hour drive- but he said getting in and out of the Rapid City Airport was a breeze..

Wish I'd known sooner you were looking and open to relocating... my company posted some enviro jobs a couple months ago but they're closed now.  Working for a utility is kind of in between gov't and consulting.
Boooooo.  I didn't know I wanted to look a couple months ago, tbh.  This federal job I think closed a week or two ago?  I'd love a utility job, but they're harder to find than gold in them thar hills in NY-area.

Boooooo.  I didn't know I wanted to look a couple months ago, tbh.  This federal job I think closed a week or two ago?  I'd love a utility job, but they're harder to find than gold in them thar hills in NY-area.

I'll keep an eye out.  We actually have an environmental engineer working here that I recruited from EB many years ago.  The old timers remember jregieng, but he doesn't stop by EB any more.

I'll keep an eye out.  We actually have an environmental engineer working here that I recruited from EB many years ago.  The old timers remember jregieng, but he doesn't stop by EB any more.
Def drop some hints that he should get back on the site, lol.  Make him worried about promotions!

yeah, it's insane how much cheaper indiana is than nyc. that's why you should go and check it out. 
It was pretty big sticker shock to see the difference between Eastern WA and the Seattle area. Going that direction is hard. Leaving the Seattle area for where I am now near Spokane was awesome, money-wise.

It was pretty big sticker shock to see the difference between Eastern WA and the Seattle area. Going that direction is hard. Leaving the Seattle area for where I am now near Spokane was awesome, money-wise.
yeah, i just don't want that weather *points*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back