Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random topic from JK: Is federal position worth it to jump from private?  Potentially have an offer in IN (haven't received offer, but I am flying out for second interview), moving from NY, but don't really know if it is worth it?  Don't want them to waste the money/go through the bureaucracy if in the end it doesn't work...Any tips from someone who has gone either way (fed to private, private to fed)?
I’ve said this before, but having been in both worlds, I would personally choose private any day. I can’t stand the bureaucracy for more than a few weeks.

Then again, if the pay was high enough, I might be willing to take the leap. I feel like the price would have to be rather high, though.

I’ve said this before, but having been in both worlds, I would personally choose private any day. I can’t stand the bureaucracy for more than a few weeks.

Then again, if the pay was high enough, I might be willing to take the leap. I feel like the price would have to be rather high, though.
Yeah, that's what I'm kinda thinking (which means I might be calling later today to ask them not to set up a plane ride/everything and just stay where I am a couple more years, unless I can somehow get an upstate/Ithaca, NY position).  I talked to my sister and she said if I really wanted to get out of private that I should try and go for state or city in NY, because the benefits are actually better than federal/cheaper.  She worked for federal, then went to city, so I kinda trusted her, but she's also not an engineer, so I needed more input.

I think I'd be starting out as a GS-11, if I got an offer, and when I looked at the pay...let's just say it's a pretty steep cut from what I'm making right now.  And with my loans already refinanced into private, there really is no benefit to changing jobs?

Some private sectors are just as bad as government.  I work in the nuclear industry for a private company, and it too is painstakingly regulated.

Some private sectors are just as bad as government.  I work in the nuclear industry for a private company, and it too is painstakingly regulated.
Over regulated, I def could see in the nuclear industry ( ha ha ha, please don't kill us all 😥), but I'm sure you're making more money than potentially in federal?

@ChebyshevII_PE Yeah, for me right now, money is my main driver so I can pay off student loans/maybe start thinking about real savings/a down payment.  And if $62k is all I can get, that def won't work since it's almost a $30k cut to move to Indianapolis.  

indiana cost of living is much much much less than ny, especially close to the city..

but it's indiana. 

no harm in taking the flight and checking it out. you don't have to say yes just because they fly you over there. 

Over regulated, I def could see in the nuclear industry ( ha ha ha, please don't kill us all 😥), but I'm sure you're making more money than potentially in federal?

@ChebyshevII_PE Yeah, for me right now, money is my main driver so I can pay off student loans/maybe start thinking about real savings/a down payment.  And if $62k is all I can get, that def won't work since it's almost a $30k cut to move to Indianapolis.  
$62k is like an entry-level salary. WTF?

(noting, of course, the cost of living difference)

Last edited by a moderator:
my favorite thing about the consulting industry is work flexibility. I don't think I could ever work an 8-5, 5 days a week type of job where I could never leave early unless it was 5 minute walk from my house and 0 stress and excellent pay.

indiana cost of living is much much much less than ny, especially close to the city..

but it's indiana. 

no harm in taking the flight and checking it out. you don't have to say yes just because they fly you over there. 
Yeah.  I think I'm going to fly out, see what the scope is, and make a decision after.  I don't want to close the door before I really see what they offer (which might be higher if I'm using the grade/pay system wrong).  But $62k, geeze, I've gotten used to the whole NYC pricing/cost of living.  They laughed when during the interview I asked if there were studios under $1.5k but then sobered when I was serious.  

As for consulting being flexible, that's true, but my current OM is very old-school, 8-5pm, you can't take off time without letting anyone know a month before hand, and working from home is kinda frowned upon.  BUT they did let me go to the upstate NY office this past week and, if I pay my cards right, maybe in a couple years I can transfer up here full-time (my real goal).

my favorite thing about the consulting industry is work flexibility. I don't think I could ever work an 8-5, 5 days a week type of job where I could never leave early unless it was 5 minute walk from my house and 0 stress and excellent pay.
Consulting sounds nice. Curiosity, do you ever have to pull weird or long schedules? My schedule is fairly flexible too, but it’s because I almost never keep a consistent schedule (it varies by customer).

AAAAAAAAAAAND I just talked to my uncle, and when I explained the scope, he was like, "No, no no no, don't do that.  FAA would be cool, but VA" and then he made more HVAC puns, because he's an engineer.

So, general consensus seems to be 'not worth the time/pay/location'.  Should I call now, tell them not to do the plane stuff, since I know it's highly unlikely I'm going to say yes to this offer (if I even get one), or should I be a dick and use federal funding to go to Indianapolis?

AAAAAAAAAAAND I just talked to my uncle, and when I explained the scope, he was like, "No, no no no, don't do that.  FAA would be cool, but VA" and then he made more HVAC puns, because he's an engineer.

So, general consensus seems to be 'not worth the time/pay/location'.  Should I call now, tell them not to do the plane stuff, since I know it's highly unlikely I'm going to say yes to this offer (if I even get one), or should I be a dick and use federal funding to go to Indianapolis?
If you’ve ever wanted to visit, I guess now’s the time... :p

But perhaps being a good citizen is better.

More money, yes, but benefits are trash.

I say go. they have funding for it anyway. I ended up working for my #3 company instead of my #1 because when I visited, I saw how it would be and was sold.

Consulting sounds nice. Curiosity, do you ever have to pull weird or long schedules? My schedule is fairly flexible too, but it’s because I almost never keep a consistent schedule (it varies by customer).
Sometimes. Like, this morning before work I was already at 25 hours for the week. but I have 2 deadlines that stacked up and snuck up on me, so it's very rare that I work such long hours. And I get 1.5x for my overtime :)  

Sometimes. Like, this morning before work I was already at 25 hours for the week. but I have 2 deadlines that stacked up and snuck up on me, so it's very rare that I work such long hours. And I get 1.5x for my overtime :)  
Sweet. I work longer hours constantly, but I don’t mind too much right now. The more experience I can gain now, the better off I’ll be down the road.

I say go. they have funding for it anyway. I ended up working for my #3 company instead of my #1 because when I visited, I saw how it would be and was sold.
Yeah, even though a majority are saying don't, I kinda want to see what it's like.  And a better work/life balance is a really big driver for me, as well as more 'engineering' stuff (my consulting is mostly writing reports and decision documents, I don't really get to do any design).  I figure go, see what they offer (if they even do) and then make a decision then.  And getting away from NYC-area is a big drive.  I don't mind home, won't miss the ocean, and I'm sure I can find fresh veggies anywhere.

Back