Quitting Smoking

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are 20 cigs in a pack. My parents smoked.

edit: you beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got my patches today at lunch! Woo Hoo!! No copay or anything. Pharmacist just handed me 4 boxes of one week supply.

After leaving the pharmacy my brain was like "you dummy, you could have smoked a 3 extra days if you had just decided to wait for the patches.", but my brain does that after quitting.

Thank goodness for my coworker who had extra patches from his last quit and lent me two to get me through.

eta: I have this quit keeper program on my computer to track stuff too. I've been using it to post because it stays the same and I can come back and see where I've been. Anyway... (I just have to hit Ctrl + F12 and it automatically pastes it)

I have been tobacco free for 2 Days, 12 hours, 53 minutes and 45 seconds (2 days). I have saved $12.68 by not smoking 50 cigarettes. My Last Cigarette: 6/1/2009 12:00 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Testing, I fixed my last cigarette time to be more exact...

I have been tobacco free for 2 Days, 13 hours, 40 minutes and 2 seconds (2 days). I have saved $12.84 by not smoking 51 cigarettes. My Last Cigarette: 5/31/2009 11:15 PM

I'm glad that none of the folks I currently hang out with are smokers. Given that the wife works in a cancer related research lab, I suppose its not that surprising no one there does. No one I deal with here does either. Which is good, because it sucks to work next to someone who smells smokey.
For a while in college, every one of my friends smoked it seemed and it was hard to get away from. Being asthmatic, I'm real sensitive to it.
Move to Ohio, or one of the other states that has passed a smoking ban in public places. It is great going out now because there is no smoking anywhere indoors and there's not (supposed to be) any smoking within so-many feet of entrances. A lot of bar owners complained when it was passed (by a large majority of voters) but I know the bar/seafood place we go to a lot has actually expanded and had to buy several high chairs because the number of people, especially families, coming in to eat went up dramatically....it has great food, but it was small enough that one person lighting up could stink up the whole room.

Now when we're out of town it actually takes a second or two to comprehend when a host/hostess asks you whether you want to sit in smoking or non-.

Move to Ohio, or one of the other states that has passed a smoking ban in public places. It is great going out now because there is no smoking anywhere indoors and there's not (supposed to be) any smoking within so-many feet of entrances. A lot of bar owners complained when it was passed (by a large majority of voters) but I know the bar/seafood place we go to a lot has actually expanded and had to buy several high chairs because the number of people, especially families, coming in to eat went up dramatically....it has great food, but it was small enough that one person lighting up could stink up the whole room.
Now when we're out of town it actually takes a second or two to comprehend when a host/hostess asks you whether you want to sit in smoking or non-.
The city I work in and do most stuff (eating and shopping) is like that as well. Even New Orleans is like that now, but you can smoke in bars as long as less then 20% of their revenue comes from food. I think it's a whole state law in Louisiana though. In Mississippi it's just a few cities. In this city you it is also prohibited to smoke outside in public areas, like fishing piers and parks, although they let people slide and smoke in the parking lots.

I look at this as a private property rights issue. If an owner wants to allow smoking in his/her facility he/she should be allowed to have smokers. This is just more obtrusive gubment regulation stomping on private property rights. Don't get me wrong, I absoultely won't go into a smoking facility, but that's my choice to make. I don't need big brother to make it for me.

I look at this as a private property rights issue. If an owner wants to allow smoking in his/her facility he/she should be allowed to have smokers. This is just more obtrusive gubment regulation stomping on private property rights. Don't get me wrong, I absoultely won't go into a smoking facility, but that's my choice to make. I don't need big brother to make it for me.
I agree with this whole heartedly!

And rule at my work is even worse. We aren't allowed to use tobacco products on neighboring property, even if the owner says it's okay. But at least it's not a gubment rule, just one my work was conned into adopting to save money on insurance. Two of the non smokers are so happy about this rule, but little do they know that the door has been opened. What rules is the insurance company going to coerce my company into applying next year? No sugar, no fried foods, weekly cholesterol checks??

100% agree with this.

I'm always startled when I visit Texas and find so many restaurants allowing smoking. Oklahoma banned smoking in bars and most other places years ago.

I think NY state was the first state to do so after NYC did it a year or so prior. I was a college student (maybe grad student?) in the Bronx at that point when the city did it and it made bars so much more pleasant to go to. I didn't show up for class stinking like a tail pipe anymore.

Vermont had banned it by the time I moved there and its also banned in Mass. So it's been 7 or 8 years for me going to smoke free places.

I went into a bar in Wyoming a couple years back and was surprised to see people lighting up. It was an Ohhhh yeahhh this is still allowed in some places sort of moment.

True...except that this was put on the ballot and voted on by the citizens of the State of Ohio. If I remember right it passed with almost 70% voting for it.

True...except that this was put on the ballot and voted on by the citizens of the State of Ohio. If I remember right it passed with almost 70% voting for it.

I bet you could put a measure on the ballot guranteeing everyone a $100,000 salary and it would pass by 70%. That doesn't necessarily mean it's 1. constitutional or 2. feasible. There is this pervasive thought in the world right now that if the majority of people believe something then it must be true and just. This country was not set up as a democracy. The founders knew that a democracy wouldn't work. This horse shit with smoking bans is just another bunch of populist bullshit and powergrab by the ruling class, aka politicians.

I bet you could put a measure on the ballot guranteeing everyone a $100,000 salary and it would pass by 70%. That doesn't necessarily mean it's 1. constitutional or 2. feasible. There is this pervasive thought in the world right now that if the majority of people believe something then it must be true and just. This country was not set up as a democracy. The founders knew that a democracy wouldn't work. This horse shit with smoking bans is just another bunch of populist bullshit and powergrab by the ruling class, aka politicians.

I agree

Not to change the subject, but my quit keeper program lets me program a hotkey to auto insert my stats in stuff. I keep switching it, but everything I come up with has another function already associated with it, so half the time I get my stats and the other half it does the original function. It can be any combination of two keys, but Alt, Ctrl, or Shift has to be one of the keys. Suggestions??

I have been tobacco free for 3 Days, 14 hours, 46 minutes and 7 seconds (3 days). I have saved $18.07 by not smoking 72 cigarettes. My Last Cigarette: 5/31/2009 11:15 PM

Okay, so I tried Alt + S.... Does that have any pre programmed functions anyone is aware of??

That's beside the point, smoking is vulgar and the government needs to save us from ourselves.

That's beside the point, smoking is vulgar and the government needs to save us from ourselves.
Here's the dichotomy, though:

A)They smoke in Europe.

B)Everything is beter in Europe.

This is the kind of logic bomb that Captain Kirk would use to get the evil robots to self destruct.

Latest posts

Back